PDA

View Full Version : External Western Digital Note Book HD

namboothiri
25-05-2010, 10:10 PM
A 500GB HD I have was bought a few years ago. It runs on DC from an adapter. DC Output is 12v, 2.0A. Is it possible to get this run from a PC USB port?

GameJunkie
25-05-2010, 10:13 PM
nope

namboothiri
26-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Are you definite GameJunkie? PC power supply has 12v connectors and it also has a massive Amperage over 4. So if one of the unused connectors could be diverted for this.... that's the way my thinking goes...

SolMiester
26-05-2010, 03:51 PM
No, its a 3 & 1/2 inch drive, which mean it uses separate power adapter unlike 2 &1/2 inch laptop drive which can run on USB 5v

namboothiri
26-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks SolMiester. One doubt I have at this point is about the 3.5 inch HD we use inside a desktop that runs on power supplied from the inside. Another point is that we see several HD ads that say that they run on USB power supply. I suppose, they include 3.5 inch HDs. Although it appears to be simple, I honestly didn't understand the tech aspects/issues behind your advice. However, I'll do some research to learn your points.

CYaBro
26-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Thanks SolMiester. One doubt I have at this point is about the 3.5 inch HD we use inside a desktop that runs on power supplied from the inside. Another point is that we see several HD ads that say that they run on USB power supply. I suppose, they include 3.5 inch HDs. Although it appears to be simple, I honestly didn't understand the tech aspects/issues behind your advice. However, I'll do some research to learn your points.

Only the small portable USB HDDs, which use 2.5" notebooks HDDs in them, can be powered by the USB port as they run on 5V. Even then most of these types of drives require two USB ports as one doesn't provide enough power.

If it is a bigger USB HDD that has a 3.5" standard HDD in it then it runs on 12V and so can't be powered by the USB and needs its own seperate power supply.

inphinity
26-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Those drives are not designed to be powered over USB. Yes, in theory, you can use PoweredUSB to put 12V over a USB port, but you need a device expecting to be powered that way.

What you want, is a 2.5" USB HDD, most of them do not require an external power supply.