PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Centre going black

namboothiri
25-05-2010, 09:59 PM
All I did was: Opened the Windows Media Center in the Vista64 (while in 32bit IE8) to play a DVD. Just about when the show was about to begin with WMC options coming up, I clicked on the LCD screen (on a blue spot) by accident. Then the whole screen went black. When I pressed Enter or Esc, some faded light showed up for a second or two. When restarted a few minutes later, the PC brought up the black & white 'disaster recovery' screen with Safe Mode, ...As Normal etc options. Shut down this time, turned on and went to WMC to see the same game repeating. Does anyone know why this and how to fix. Couldn't find any relevant helpful tips in the MS Vista pages. Thanks.

pctek
26-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Is this problem with just the one media file or all that you try to play?

SolMiester
26-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Same game? repeating.....in Media Centre?...what?

namboothiri
26-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Hi Pctek & SolMiester, now it is not about any game/media file/repeat at all. The moment I click WMC to open, the whole LCD backs out. All I can do is Cntrl+Alt-Del (LCD works!) to shut down/restart. Except for this, I can use VLC, Real Player etc. However, WMC freezes all just by one click! Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
26-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Are you using Nvidia video drivers? If you are, the Stereoscopic 3D option somewhere in its control panel, can cause this black screen

namboothiri
26-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Speedy there you are! The mobo is ASUS M2NPV-VM that runs integrated NVidea GeForce 1650. So it has something to do with its 3D stuff? Will see. Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
26-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Hmm looks like its a known issue with that mobo. Are you using the windows drivers, or the Nvidia drivers? And what connection are you using on this mobo?? VGA or DVI? Go into Nvidia contriol panel whatever its called (if its there). If stereoscopic 3D is ticked untick it. If that fixes it, you may have to do that everytime you run MC

namboothiri
26-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Hi Speedy I've never checked on Drivers but assume that it is NVidea. Currently the LCD is on DVI. I did some browsing in its Control Panel/3D settings. Found WMC listed and made a few changes reading each carefully following your earlier reply. But never found Stereoscopic in there. Will check once again. However, the actions taken made at least the Start Task Manager popping up on Cntrl+Alt+Del avoiding a restart. So I restored the original settings and installed NVidea's latest Display Driver. But found no difference. They offer a MoBo Driver too. I might need to install that as well? Thanks to you all.

Speedy Gonzales
26-05-2010, 10:15 PM
You usually install the mobo drivers after a clean install, not after you install everything else

namboothiri
26-05-2010, 10:26 PM
OK understood. Thanks Speedy.

namboothiri
27-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Hi All, the only thing I found in the 3D settings close to what Speedy said is 'ANISOTROPIC' filter/sample optimizations. Read the key function points below and made changes similar to 'unticking', as advised but of no avail. I found Speedy's note on the 'known mobo issue' as true when I could see the whole WMC opened in its blue background (with no music of its arrival) behind the blackened LCD when I pressed Cntrl+Alt+Del.

Went to find help in the ASUS & NVidea Forums but found nothing close to this. One relief is that I seldom use WMC as it has always confused me. The next is that it is not interfering with any other PC applications at all if left alone. Therefore, so be it. I hope, you all agree if none has any more to say. Thanks.