PDA

View Full Version : Internet access crashing

GrahamB
25-05-2010, 05:50 PM
My wife's computer (a Dick Smith Dinasaur running XP Pro and IE8, suddenly decided to spit the dummy when she went on the internet today. It came up with one of those meaningless microsoft popups saying it had to close. After several attempts and a restart, I deleted IE8 and reinstalled it from a PCW Disc, and now it comes up on the screen, action is 'connecting', but before the URL field is populated it simply disconnects and disappears.

I have tried reloading over the top to no avail.

I them loaded Mozilla firefox off the same PCW disk, and that is doing the same thing, except that is presenting a popup that apologises for the 'crash'.

All this time, emails can be downloaded OK on Outlook Exopress, so there is no problem with the ADSL modem/connection.

Any ideas, apart from dumping the whole thing in the rubbish!

wainuitech
25-05-2010, 06:00 PM
What Antivirus do you have ?

You can also click start/ Run, type in cmd Press enter - in the box that opens, type sfc /scannow it may ask for the windows CD so have it handy.

You could also have malware on it. from my sig, download malwarebytes, install and run a full scan, dump anything it finds.
I have tried reloading over the top to no avail. Tried reloading what ? IE8 or windows ?

GrahamB
25-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Thanks WainuiTech.

I am using AVG free version.

Have just downloaded the malware programme you recommended and will put it on tomorrow. We are pretty careful in this area, and have not had an infection on any of our computers in more than 10 years! So hopefully that will not be the problem. But we will check!

TFYH

WarNox
25-05-2010, 11:59 PM
I'd recommend running Malware Bytes from Safe Mode with networking, that way you can update it too. It does sound like a virus if all browsers are magically failing :)

Renmoo
27-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Thanks WainuiTech.

I am using AVG free version.

Have just downloaded the malware programme you recommended and will put it on tomorrow. We are pretty careful in this area, and have not had an infection on any of our computers in more than 10 years! So hopefully that will not be the problem. But we will check!

TFYH
Graham,

I would recommend the transition to Microsoft Security Essentials (link available below) as an antivirus solution. AVG Antivirus used to be good, but the program is now laden with bugs to the extent that it is no longer considered as "one of the best" for the free antivirus category.

MSE: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Cheers :)