PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express is driving me mad, and I don't even use it!!

Billy T
25-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Hi Team

I have suddenly started getting nag pop-ups from Outlook Express offering to compact my messages to conserve space.

That's all very well and good, but the thing is, I don't use OE, there are no messages stored so nothing to compact, I didn't install it, and I don't even know where it came from unless it was on my Office 2003 disk and auto-installed.

I can't find an uninstall function, so at this stage I was thinking of renaming the exe file, but that will probably do nothing anyway as the program isn't open anyway, and it will probably encourage a host of other pop-ups telling me it isn't working.

I would prefer to uninstall it, but if that is likely to cause problems, how do I disable it or its popups? Given that OE is not running, what program is running that would be providing the 'compact' nags?

As an afterthought, OE doesn't use a .pst file does it? I seem to recall that years ago it used a .dbx file for its message store. I'm reluctant to allow it to compact the non-existent messages in case it buggers up my Outlook Files.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :help:

Terry Porritt
25-05-2010, 10:02 AM
I have always uninstalled Outlook Express in my installations of Windows XP, using this method:

http://www.tweakxp.com/article37318.aspx

What you have to ensure is that the files mentioned are deleted first from dllcache, otherwise they will just be reinstalled.

The other thing is that the Outlook Express folder in Program Files does not want to be deleted, even though empty, but that doesn't matter

Edit: rather than renaming files just delete them, it's easier.

Safari
25-05-2010, 10:03 AM
http://blog.lucidtechgroup.com/2009/03/outlook-express-to-free-up-disk-space.html

Sweep
25-05-2010, 11:31 AM
I use Outlook. Outlook uses a *.pst file and Outlook Express does not.

pctek
25-05-2010, 11:35 AM
I don't even know where it came from unless it was on my Office 2003 disk and auto-installed.

I can't find an uninstall function

Outlook comes with Office. Outlook Express came with Windows.
Go to Add/Remove, choose Windows Components and remove it that way.

Billy T
25-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Outlook comes with Office. Outlook Express came with Windows. Go to Add/Remove, choose Windows Components and remove it that way.

OK, I've looked and 'Components' says OE uses 0 MB, so on the face of it, Outlook Express is not installed, which is nonsense of course, I can open it. Other items show more realistic numbers like 42MB etc, but there are a good number of other zeros as well.

Given that it says 0-MB, is there any point in trying to uninstall it? Surely Windows will just give me the finger if I try?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

PS, I think I've scared it though, it has stopped asking me to compact and probably hopes I'll forget all about it!

Terry Porritt
25-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Outlook Express can be enabled/disabled with Windows Components, but not uninstalled.

GrahamB
25-05-2010, 11:42 PM
Try installing it directly, and then unistall it?

gary67
26-05-2010, 06:24 AM
Are you running a new office package and not a trial Billy? As I have known of at least 2 people with an office trial version that went back and had the student version installed which doesn't use Outlook and lost all their emails and contacts because the shop didn't warn them. Mind you I only found out after the event so couldn't do anything about it

pctek
26-05-2010, 06:51 AM
Given that it says 0-MB, is there any point in trying to uninstall it? it!

Yes. I did it, it disables it enough.

Billy T
26-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Are you running a new office package and not a trial Billy?

It is an OEM package of Office 2003 bought some time back from a trustworthy PF1 member and is properly authenticated with MS.

It is still nagging me, so I will rely on pctek's advice and use the Windows Component uninstall function to disable it.

Sometimes Microsoft does daft things that seem to defy logic. I am aware from my research on this problem that OE is linked to other Office apps in some versions (don't recall exactly which, but MS Messenger was one) but why would they install it in full rather than just the bits they need, then allow users to decide if they want the whole package? Some of the manual removal advice I found on the web made it clear that wholesale removal would break Outlook and some other Apps as well. I haven't used OE for over 10 years.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Sweep
26-05-2010, 01:29 PM
@ Billy T.

As far as I'm aware Outlook Express is an Email application that comes with Windows and is installed by default. It does not come with Win 7.

Outlook can be bought as another application and you don't have to buy Office ( all of it ) to install same.

Since when is OE linked to Office and especially Outlook apart from being able to import data from OE into Outlook?