PDA

View Full Version : USb Hub

Ninjabear
25-05-2010, 04:33 AM
Does anyone use USB Hubs?

I know for a fact if you plug an external harddrive in a hub it won't work because there's not enough power but Im running out of usb port.

Currently I need one more usb port. One for my wireless keyboard and one for wireless mouse will they work together?

Are there different in quality of usb hubs?

PinoyKiw
25-05-2010, 05:22 AM
I use a Logitech 4 port USB hub, can run off the laptops own power or from AC.

I am right now running a MP3 player and 2 thumb drives off this one, no problems.

Should work with what you intend to use it for.

Plenty available on TradeMe but you might get what you pay for there especially with the no name cheaper hubs probably imported enmass from China or somewhere.

wainuitech
25-05-2010, 09:07 AM
You didn't mention if its a Laptop or PC.

IF a laptop, you can buy powered hubs, or if a PC , you can always install a PCI card that has various numbers of ports. Like this from Ascent (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=353740)

Gobe1
25-05-2010, 10:38 AM
I use a powered hub here at work and hard drives and flash drives work well. I did have to turn off legacy USB in the bios becuse it kept trying to boot off them, but works fine now

EDIT: i use a desktop

icow
25-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Does anyone use USB Hubs?

I know for a fact if you plug an external harddrive in a hub it won't work because there's not enough power but Im running out of usb port.

Currently I need one more usb port. One for my wireless keyboard and one for wireless mouse will they work together?

Are there different in quality of usb hubs?

I have one of these (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Peripherals/USB-Hubs/auction-291326054.htm) works fine and cheap as.

Billy T
25-05-2010, 09:45 PM
I use a Jaycar 7 port USB 2.0 hub (5 on the sides and two on top at the front under a sliding cover). I have the PSU but it is ok with 4 or 5 sockets in use and no psu. I tried a few other types and took them back, this one is a keeper.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

utopian201
25-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Beware that some cheaper hubs are much slower. I can't remember the details, but the more expensive hubs have a separate lane for each port, whereas the cheap ones have a single lane shared for all the ports.
If speed is important, google for it, just something to be aware of.