PDA

View Full Version : Need help connecting two routers/modems

PC builder
24-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Hi everyone I need help connecting two modems one of them is a Thompson st536 v6 modem the other one is a Thompson TG585v7 wireless modem.
I put the wireless i one room and everything is fine. But when I plug in the st536 v6 when the wireless modem is also plugged in the two modems start flashing and the internet disconnects! I thought it was possible to connect two modems that are the same brand but look like i'm wrong! Is there any way I can connect it without running a 30m Internet cable?

Thanks

nedkelly
24-05-2010, 08:11 PM
Um why are you trying to connect two modems? You usually have a modem and then connect a router to that or have a modem router combo

PC builder
24-05-2010, 08:12 PM
Um why are you trying to connect two modems? You usually have a modem and then connect a router to that or have a modem router combo Hi thanks for reply need to connect two modems because I need fast interrnet and wireless is only 54mps!

wainuitech
24-05-2010, 08:14 PM
You can join them - they need setting up thats all. I did similar today, but with two D-Links the person had, they were connected Via a cable , but after altering the settings on one they worked fine.

Have a look at this here (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=66&topicid=30282)

Edited: is the Thompson st536 v6 actually wireless as well ? if not then the wireless option wont work, but a wired one should with the correct settings

Greven
24-05-2010, 08:14 PM
You can't have 2 DSL devices connected to 1 phone line. If the wireless doesn't have good enough range, you can look into ethernet over power kits

Edit: Took too long writing my post (not too skilled at typing while eating). If I understand correctly, you have a network cable connecting the 2 modems & want to use the wireless router to connect multiple PCs to the other modem. Is that correct?

Your internet connection will be a lot slower than your wireless network

PC builder
24-05-2010, 08:16 PM
You can't have 2 DSL devices connected to 1 phone line. If the wireless doesn't have good enough range, you can look into ethernet over power kitsThanks for reply! Is adsl2+ any different to dsl??

wainuitech
24-05-2010, 08:28 PM
You can't have 2 DSL devices connected to 1 phone line. True, but you can have two DSL modems/routers conencted to one another.

The Setup I did today went Internet- DSLModem/Router - connected via a cable to another dsl Modem Router - for the in port you use 1 of the Ethernet ports on the second router, disable the UPnP and DHCp on the second modem Router, reset the IP address on the second router different to the main router so you can get to its interface to adjust settings if needed.Like this - Wired (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Routers.jpg)