PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with a Nokia GPS settings

stuffed
24-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Have a Nokia 5230 with GPS (a really great value phone for the $300-$400 range – has all of the world maps – for free)
Am currently in Oz for a couple of weeks and am just a little concerned now that the GPS may be getting some assistance from the local cellular network and don’t want to get home and find a Vodafone bill that equals the current deficit of Great Britain!
In “Position methods” have turned off “Network based” but there is still an option called “Assisted GPS” – it won’t work with this turned off – what is it does anyone know? Still have “Integrated GPS” selected but still needs that “Assisted GPS” for the GPS to work.
Good on ya mate - thanks from a very pleasant 25 degree Broadbeach day

stuffed
25-05-2010, 12:42 PM
When turn on Maps a warning comes up ”Connection to network may be more costly when out of home network”.
Have posted on the Nokia site too but last time did that it took weeks to get a response!

Sweep
25-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Ummmm. Buy a local map. Ask for directions.

R2x1
25-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Maybe get a local prepay sim card?

stuffed
27-05-2010, 12:18 PM
For Nokia map users travelling overseas this is very important information for anyone going overseas that has been posted on their site in answer to my question.
A-GPS will indeed cost data charges. Also the phone WILL work with Integrated GPS alone. However It will take longer. For example, the first ever fix without A-GPS could take as long as an hour. Subsequent fixes should be faster but it is also dependent on a variety of things. For example, on Integrated GPS mode, the farther you are from where you last closed it would also mean the longer it takes to get a fix.

Nomad
27-05-2010, 12:49 PM
With my Nokia you can go via the settings and untick aGPS (assisted GPS) using the mobile data (internet).

However from my little time without aGPS, it was just too slow, if you walk to your backyard it could take 5mins or more to get a fix on your current location. So I use aGPS or nothing.

Put it this way pal:
Mobile internet if you get a local simcard - provided data cost less than NZ :D is a heck less than a GPS device and then pay for your australian additional map. For Garmin this might mean $500 unit + $300-400 for each map. I heard the Google phone is also mobile data only, the map I heard some 3rd party can get for maybe $80 each. Bit pricey for a short holiday (like many of us) or for the OE experience (10 countries in a matter of a year or few months).

Sweep
27-05-2010, 12:57 PM
With my Nokia you can go via the settings and untick aGPS (assisted GPS) using the mobile data (internet).

However from my little time without aGPS, it was just too slow, if you walk to your backyard it could take 5mins or more to get a fix on your current location. So I use aGPS or nothing.

Put it this way pal:
Mobile internet if you get a local simcard - provided data cost less than NZ :D is a heck less than a GPS device and then pay for your australian additional map. For Garmin this might mean $500 unit + $300-400 for each map. I heard the Google phone is also mobile data only, the map I heard some 3rd party can get for maybe $80 each. Bit pricey for a short holiday (like many of us) or for the OE experience (10 countries in a matter of a year or few months).

You turn a GPS on to find your back yard?

R2x1
27-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Beats mowing the lawn

Nomad
27-05-2010, 06:12 PM
You turn a GPS on to find your back yard?

I was testing it out b/c some camps say you need aGPS to work, while others said it's so good it works by itself.

You can get real GPS they will work without cellular. Maps are expensive. You can get ones other have made. Get a popular one. Navaman is not possible given how they coded it. TomTom and Garmin can do, I've found the Garmin 60 series handhelds are more popular (making maps). But then again it depends what you fish out of the net. A lot of it are half done, again it is free, someone like you and me are spending their own personal time making maps freely for other people.

The NZ map is great. The others I found, Oz, HK, JP are half done. You may (or may not) find that the search function has not been developed yet. So you cannot say 120 Smiths Street, GOTO. Or go to Bangkok International Airport. So what it is is just a moving map. There's the map and it tracks your coordinates so you read the map and you tell yourself where to go - which direction, do I keep going straight, when to turn and to turn left or right etc etc. Some travelers make the maps themselves this way, and they like it cos no running cost. They tend to obtain maps online and size it down to some specification and they align the coordinates and plonk the map on.

You may also find that not all the street names are in there. It may only have the main streets and not incl the smaller streets. It may not even have the landmarks.

The NZ map is great, personally I have a Garmin, didn't come with a NZ map cos it was a imported version (I think). I got the NZ version and it is fantastic. You can search, you can use GOTO. You can get weekly updates. They are a active community. You can search for a shop or restaurant and look at its properties and see what cuisine is it, tel and fax and website info, opening hours etc etc.. If I were to go overseas I will use it in limited mode or just use a cellphone with a locally sourced simcard (and pay). Nokia has withdrawn its subscription cos due to the Google phone. You just pay mobile data. Before you had to pay guidance cost. And without that you couldn't even use the searh function and select go to. The moment you pressed it, it takes you to a secure payment site - a year or month or a day subscription fee.