PDA

View Full Version : loosing disk space for no reason on laptop

goodiesguy
24-05-2010, 12:51 AM
i had 7gb free space. now all of a sudden i get a low disk space error. i am down to 90mb free space as i have delete some files. im also downloading spybot with the little hard drive space i have. i coulnt even get here. i have done disk cleanup which has done little. i have used ccleaner etc..

zqwerty
24-05-2010, 01:59 AM
Try this, use this version not the new one, be careful it is very easy to delete essential files and folders, you will be able to see where you HDD is being used and by what:

http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories/LFWV/SpaceMonger.html

Agent_24
24-05-2010, 02:38 AM
Which version of Windows are you running on it?

If Vista\Win7 try using Windows' own disk cleanup utility. It can waste a lot of space on error reports and stuff which I don't think CCleaner can remove.

Also, you may want to try decreasing the size of the System Restore backup space or even disabling it. System Restore can take a up a substantial amount of disk space....

For a quick fix, you can also disable the Hibernation function. This will free up disk space equal to the amount of RAM the system has by deleting hiberfil.sys

goodiesguy
24-05-2010, 09:15 AM
its xp pro. i have used its cleanup utility. it hasent freed up much. i will try your suggestions

goodiesguy
24-05-2010, 09:19 AM
i left spybot running overnite. it removed 35 viruses. i need 2 update to avast 5 on it. it only has avast 4.8

Speedy Gonzales
24-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Disable system restore then scan the whole hdd with a virus scanner

Agent_24
24-05-2010, 10:19 AM
i left spybot running overnite. it removed 35 viruses. i need 2 update to avast 5 on it. it only has avast 4.8

I wonder if you have a keylogger saving screenshots somewhere and wasting disk space on that.

And Avast! 5 is pretty useless actually, I suggest you give Comodo a try

Don't suppose you can tell use what the 35 items were that Spybot removed? (By the way, not everything Spybot detects are viruses, some can be as simple as tracking cookies)

goodiesguy
24-05-2010, 03:34 PM
most are tracking cookies. im gonna try Microsoft security essentials

goodiesguy
25-05-2010, 12:16 AM
Try this, use this version not the new one, be careful it is very easy to delete essential files and folders, you will be able to see where you HDD is being used and by what:

http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories/LFWV/SpaceMonger.html

thanks. i tried it. instead of my original 7gb free space. i have 11gb free space. thank you very much. im gonna reccomend this to people