PDA

View Full Version : movies dvdfab

smithinator
23-05-2010, 10:55 PM
hi, i want to put my DVD collection onto my PC so i downloaded dvdfab but when i use it it cuts the movie up into chapters how can i stop this and make it so it rips the full movie as one big file?

note: this is not going to be used illegally it is just so i can take the movies i OWN and put them on my laptop so i can watch them while im away

thanks in advance :)

wainuitech
23-05-2010, 11:14 PM
When you back up the DVD's, (this is in Version6) make sure you select either Full or main movie. Highlighted Options (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DVD.jpg)

You may have selected split - That will split the movies into segments.

smithinator
23-05-2010, 11:24 PM
i select main movie, then i select dvd9 (full quality) i select the folder and push next but it still splits it up, im using dvdfab 7.0.6.2

Metla
23-05-2010, 11:47 PM
Its ripping the data off the disc rather then ripping the movie to avi so to speak, and its in chapters on the disc so you end up with chapters.

I always save as ISO.

smithinator
23-05-2010, 11:51 PM
so how do i stop it splitting the movie into chapters?

Sweep
23-05-2010, 11:54 PM
As Metla said. Make an ISO.

Metla
23-05-2010, 11:55 PM
No idea :thumbs:

You could always try a different app, Your looking to rip "dvd to avi"

Personally I'm happy with the ISO file as it can be mounted on a virtual drive or burnt straight to a blank DVD.

Sweep
23-05-2010, 11:57 PM
IMG Burn.

wainuitech
24-05-2010, 08:58 AM
I know people who use it all the time -Never done an ISO yet, they only use full disc or main- its never had any splitting either , maybe some new setting in version 7 :confused:

smithinator
24-05-2010, 11:42 AM
is there an option somewhere that i can turn on/off to stop it from splitting? ive tried DVD decrypter but it will only work on certain movies for some reason. does anyone know of some other free software that will work? id prefer to do avi rather than ISO.

CYaBro
24-05-2010, 11:56 AM
hi, i want to put my DVD collection onto my PC so i downloaded dvdfab but when i use it it cuts the movie up into chapters how can i stop this and make it so it rips the full movie as one big file?

note: this is not going to be used illegally it is just so i can take the movies i OWN and put them on my laptop so i can watch them while im away

thanks in advance :)

FYI it is illegal in New Zealand to rip a DVD/Bluray even if you own the original disc.
It is only legal to rip music CDs.

smithinator
24-05-2010, 11:58 AM
really oh i didnt know that i only thought it was illegal if you didnt own the disk or if you sold/lent/gave copies of that movie to other people

Metla
24-05-2010, 01:33 PM
I know people who use it all the time -Never done an ISO yet, they only use full disc or main- its never had any splitting either , maybe some new setting in version 7 :confused:

Its how DVD Fab has always worked, It saves the files in chapters the same as they are on the DVD, if theire are 43 vob files on the DVD then you get 43 vob files on your PC.

DVDfab replicates the authored DVD so it can be burnt back to DVD.

CYaBro
24-05-2010, 01:41 PM
really oh i didnt know that i only thought it was illegal if you didnt own the disk or if you sold/lent/gave copies of that movie to other people

That's what most people think but they are wrong.
I looked into this quite a bit a few months ago when I was looking at importing a dvd/bluray media server from the USA.
But because of the law here it would be illegal for us to sell them here.
It is a bit of a grey area in the USA at the moment too with court cases ongoing.

Zippity
24-05-2010, 01:51 PM
FYI it is illegal in New Zealand to rip a DVD/Bluray even if you own the original disc.

Then why is it legal to be able to buy both Recorders and blank media here in NZ? :confused::confused:

wainuitech
24-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Yes DVDFab does copy the DVD as per VOB viles under teh Video_Ts folder, it copies them the same as the DVD, BUT not in chapters or scenes as such.

I went to a mates place this morning, used his DVDfab to test it and Heres an example -- One of his purchased DVD's, using dvdfab produced 4 vob files, results as expected.

BUT the movie actually has 25 chapters when you load it onto the dvd player - thats not 25 vob files.

I think smithinator may be confusing the vob files with the movie chapters - two different things.

Most DVD's when played on a standard DVD player allow you to jump to a certain chapter - or scene.

AFAIK DVDFab wont convert to a single AVI - you need other programs for that.

Metla
24-05-2010, 03:02 PM

Metla
24-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Just ripped a Rainbow concert DVD to my desktop, kept it at DVD9.

The main movie is split into 5 vob files. So it was merely a mistake of mine to describe the resulting vob files as chapters.

Anyway.............meh.:cool:

Thread starter could always just stitch the vob files into a single file, if he can find an app that does it without re-encoding (direct stream) then it will be fast and quality will stay at 100 percent.

or just save as an ISO, I believe VLC plays ISO files.

smithinator
24-05-2010, 03:57 PM
ive been playing around with it it seems if i use dvd to mobile and set up certain settings not only can i choose the file size/format i can set aspect ratios and a whole lot more also the movie is great quality and comes out as one big file thanks for your help everyone

Metla
24-05-2010, 04:01 PM
:dogeye:

wainuitech
24-05-2010, 05:27 PM
I believe VLC plays ISO files Does a good job of converting to avi as well :D

Metla
24-05-2010, 05:28 PM
well well well, It seems DVDFAB has capabilities above and beyond what I thought it was capable of, there is a wealth of features listed under dvd to mobile.

Currently ripping my DVD to an AVI using h.264, with the original resolution and a pre-defined file size of 800mb.

Its going to take 2 hours so I've left that PC to do its thing and I'll have a look at the finished results later this evening.

Metla
24-05-2010, 08:22 PM
And the results are excellent, Though with Dio and Blackmore together what else could it be?

CYaBro
24-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Then why is it legal to be able to buy both Recorders and blank media here in NZ? :confused::confused:

You can still make your own DVDs/Bluray discs from home video recordings etc.
Most video cameras these days are recording at 1080i or even 1080p so you will need blank bluray discs to save the video to once you have taken the it off the camera.

Roger Hunt
24-05-2010, 09:58 PM
X-Media Recode will rip from DVD to anything you want. M Player for windows will play .ISO without it needing to be mounted