PDA

View Full Version : Credit Card Fraud

johcar
23-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Have you ever been a victim?

I got a call from the ANZ (sounded like Australia) yesterday to ask if I had been making purchases from European stores in the early hours of Saturday morning - a couple of grand's worth of purchases. Needless to say, I hadn't.

They had put a hold on my credit card because of the 'odd' purchase behaviour. I also got an email from Skype the same morning to say that a regular payment had been declined because my card had expired - strange, because it is due to expire in October - which first alerted me to something odd happening.

So now I am without a card for a few days until they reissue.

I have had calls from ANZ in the past when they have noticed 'out of the ordinary' purchase behaviour, but this is the first time there has been actual fraud.

I have no idea how someone got hold of my card details, but I am very impressed with the service from the ANZ and their algorithms!!

Kudos to ANZ!

CYaBro
23-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Yup. I've had a call from the bnz asking if I'd made any purchases in Brazil as my credit card had just been used in a supermarket. They also stopped it as it was flagged as an out of the ordinary purchase.
It was just after we got back from our oe so suspect that somewhere along the way someone had taken a copy of the card.

Speedy Gonzales
23-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Nope, never used one or needed one

somebody
23-05-2010, 08:05 PM
I had a similar call from National Bank about airline tickets being bought with my credit card in India - of course that would have been rather difficult for me to have legitimately done as I'd made a purchase only hours earlier in Wellington. They were great about it, and sorted it out quickly.

psycik
23-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Wasn't rung, but found a stange transaction from a macau based airline. ASB refunded me and changed the cards.

In response I said to the wife, never use the household credit card on the internet again, and lowered the limit on my personal card to $500 and that's the only one used on the internet.

And for anything overseas I use prezzy cards. Very handy.

pctek
24-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Wasn't rung, but found a stange transaction from a macau based airline. ASB refunded me and changed the cards.

In response I said to the wife, never use the household credit card on the internet again
Why?
It's the safest method of buying stuff on the net.
As you see by your own experience and everyone elses, they sort it for you if it happens. That's why you pay all those fees......

And as for the net - it's if you used some dodgy site and entered your card details, not legitimate shops...

Trev
24-05-2010, 09:41 AM
I have been buying things over the internet for about 10 years using my credit card and have never had any problems.
:)

Marnie
24-05-2010, 11:05 AM
We have one card that we keep for ordering via the internet or by phone and when we are overseas. We have never had a problem with that, "touch wood".

A few years ago our card number was one where the bank's credit card system had been hacked and our number was among those included in the hacking. As a precaution, that card was cancelled and a new one issued.

More recently, the bank fraud system division advised that my card, which is only used in New Zealand, was used to try and purchase something in Pakistan. After discussion about any very recent payments, for which the card had been used and confirmation that these had been cleared, that card was cancelled and a new one issued. It didn't take long and I was grateful for their diligence. As far as I am concerened I hadn't used it at any 'dodgy' establishments, but even those that you think are trustworthy are only as good as the honesty and integrity of their staff.

SP8's
24-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Most banks now have debit cards which can be used like a credit card for internet banking. The difference being that there must be funds in the account and any transaction over the card balance will be rejected.

Very easy with internet banking to top up the debit card for the value of the purchase you wish to make and can't be used as a credit card even if someone does get your details.

Battleneter2
24-05-2010, 12:42 PM
My wife joined a site for a "free" trial of Acai berry pills to trim a few Kilo a few months ago. If in two weeks you don't cancel they send you a monthly subscription and charge the credit card you entered.

She canceled at day 10 (well under the time limit), but they charged 2x 139US anyway. They "claim" they refunded the money but no evidence and the last email sounded bollox.

Needless to say i wasn't thrilled cause i think any site that offers free trial BUT asks for a credit card is probably a scam or at least potential scam.

Anyway she learned a lesson and Visa are prob going to refund.

Lastly Acai berry is a scam anyway, no more weight loss ability than broccoli, certainly no quick fix for a few kilos, stare well clear of all these sites and product itself.

Chilling_Silence
24-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Internet transactions are still generally regarded as more secure by those "in the know" than those "misinformed".

Provided it's SSL encrypted, it's going to be a truckload more secure than passing information over the phone which is susceptible to:
1) The person at the other end writing the number down on paper for themselves before processing it
2) Phreaking
3) Somebody else listening in at a store as they read you back your number for confirmation

You just don't get that with an online store.
Provided they're using somebody reputable for their transaction processing, you're generally pretty worry-free purchasing online. It's the in-person or over-the-phone you've gotta worry about...

johcar
24-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Internet transactions are still generally regarded as more secure by those "in the know" than those "misinformed".

Provided it's SSL encrypted, it's going to be a truckload more secure than passing information over the phone which is susceptible to:
1) The person at the other end writing the number down on paper for themselves before processing it
2) Phreaking
3) Somebody else listening in at a store as they read you back your number for confirmation

Provided they're using somebody reputable for their transaction processing, you're generally pretty worry-free purchasing online. It's the in-person or over-the-phone you've gotta worry about...

That's why I'm baffled as to how my CC number has been intercepted... I have only ever used it via secure sites, to the best of my knowledge...

Brucem
24-05-2010, 01:55 PM
The only problem that I have had was after a visit to Sydney, I had some $200 paid to a California Telephone Co (PacificBell I think). I could only remember one occasion when the card left me, at a restaurant. Westpac visa refunded it.

Nomad
24-05-2010, 01:58 PM

2) Phreaking

Depends. I used SSL via ASB banking module - via the shop. I only used that c/c cos my BNZ didn't work, so I used my Kiwibank. The shop got their money but somehow a few more transactions popped up. My bet is the shop got the number and used it elsewhere ...

At the time I only used that card once ever elsewhere ...

I like the c/c protection. If I paid bank deposit, I would of lost it.

TideMan
24-05-2010, 05:52 PM
A few years ago, when I had a work Visa, one monthly bill showed a transaction for $1.50 at a gas station in Mesa Verde. I hadn't been out of NZ, so I showed it to my admin lady who said it must be a mistake, we'll just leave it and see what happens.

Well, for the next two months, my card was charged with thousands of dollars for airfares, accommodation, and food from all over Europe. The guy must have had a great time until the card was cancelled.

In the meantime my company had to pay all the bills until Visa sorted it out and refunded the money.

Lesson: look out for funny transactions and deal with them, no matter how small they are.

martynz
24-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Wanted to pay a taxi fare using EFTPOS, the driver said his machine wasn't working so could I use my CC.
Two days later had a phonecall from VISA, had I been trying to buy some airline tickets. They wouldn't tell me what had alerted them but cancelled my card and issued a new one.
I still had the CC receipt and reported the incident to the cab company and the police.

Nomad
24-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Wanted to pay a taxi fare using EFTPOS, the driver said his machine wasn't working so could I use my CC.
Two days later had a phonecall from VISA, had I been trying to buy some airline tickets. They wouldn't tell me what had alerted them but cancelled my card and issued a new one.
I still had the CC receipt and reported the incident to the cab company and the police.

Taxi drivers eh..
When I was at uni, I used a taxi to help me change flats. Friends offered money but I said no thanks cos taxi support c/c right. He didn't want to use the c/c, in his words he said he's wasn't gonna take the "f'ing" c/c, he got off and threw my stuff out took whatever coins I had .... :(

somebody
25-05-2010, 08:28 AM
Taxi drivers eh..
When I was at uni, I used a taxi to help me change flats. Friends offered money but I said no thanks cos taxi support c/c right. He didn't want to use the c/c, in his words he said he's wasn't gonna take the "f'ing" c/c, he got off and threw my stuff out took whatever coins I had .... :(

Credit cards are very risky for merchants - credit card companies usually side with the consumer when there's a dispute, and the merchant gets hit with the chargeback plus a "processing fee". A good friend of mine runs a small business and has to deal with people making dishonest chargebacks every month or so.

shermo
25-05-2010, 05:44 PM
As most of these stories indicate - use a credit card, the banks are pretty good at getting their money back. You're spending the bank's money.

Does anyone have anecdotes from using a debit card and getting better/worse service? I suspect that your protections when using a debit card aren't as good, since you're losing your own money. Why would the banks care?

i think any site that offers free trial BUT asks for a credit card is probably a scam or at least potential scam.

Lastly Acai berry is a scam anyway, no more weight loss ability than broccoli, certainly no quick fix for a few kilos, stare well clear of all these sites and product itself.

Gee really?

porkster
29-05-2010, 09:20 AM
I suspect that your protections when using a debit card aren't as good, since you're losing your own money.

Correct. There is no "charge-back" available for users of debit cards. No protection from card fraud.
I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole!!!