PDA

View Full Version : TrueImage11 - Win7 behaviour??

BBCmicro
23-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Just tried to make an image of my new W7pro64 with a TrueImage11 boot disc. It didn't work - couldn't see the HDD...

...so I took the W7 HDD out and put it in a caddy attached to my old XPpro32 machine. This time the boot disc saw the 2 partitions OK.

But I continued into XP and used the installed version of TrueImage11 to make an image of both of the W7 partitions (the 100 MB active partition and the 930 GB main partition) excluding pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys.

Then (still in XP) I deleted the 930 GB partition and created a 75 GB new one. (I want to see how W7 performs on an 80 GB drive in case I ever get an SSD.) I then restored the 930 GB image to the new 75 GB partition. TrueImage did this without complaint. I chose not to assign a drive letter. I then used the boot disc (still on the XP machine) to confirm that TrueImage could see the image file and its 2 partitions - it could see them - and shut the machine down.

With the HDD back in the W7 machine, the TrueImage boot disc still couldn't see the drive so I took it out and let the machine boot to the HDD. To my surprise it booted directly into W7! (and showed the new C: size of 75 GB)

Having only 4 days experience of W7 I have very little idea what's going on here...

gary67
23-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Interesting as I backup my C drive weekly using a Acronis True image 11 and have not had the chance to test as I don't have a spare HDD. But I must get around to checking my images

BBCmicro
23-05-2010, 09:22 PM
I presume you are using TrueImage11 installed to do the backup. Have you used it from the TrueImage boot disc?

In my case the boot disc does not see my (one and only) HDD on my W7 machine. If you were to boot from the boot disc you would at least test that aspect. (No need to carry on with the restore of course.)

The puzzling thing is that not seeing the HDD is presumably a BIOS thing, nothing to do with W7. And the BIOS (GA-P55A_UD4 motherboard) doesn't know what OS is going to be installed...

jackM
23-05-2010, 09:35 PM
It's likely that the boot disc does not have the needed chipset SATA drivers. Or maybe the XP machine has the SATA ports set to IDE emulation mode and the W7 machine is on AHCI / RAID . . .

wainuitech
23-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Is TrueImage11 compatible with W7 -- Just looking its an older version, the Newer version True Image Home 2010 is compatible.

if you are only wanting to make a backup Image, you would be better off using he inbuilt backup W7 has.

Simply click start, type in backup, select Backup and restore - create System Image - it also prompts you to make a recovery boot CD to put it back.

Only down Side is if you image to another drive you have to make sure that its the same size or smaller than the original drive ( not meaning space used) Example if you image to a 500 GB drive it will create the image fine, but if the original drive is only 80GB, then when trying to put it back it wont go. ( unless they have fixed that problem)

SO what I do,lets say the drive is 250GB, see how much space is used, lets say 20GB, and image that to a 30GB drive. (hope that makes sense)

BBCmicro
23-05-2010, 10:18 PM
maybe the XP machine has the SATA ports set to IDE emulation mode and the W7 machine is on AHCI / RAID . . .

Yes - that could be it. Certainly the XP machine didn't have AHCI (instantly froze if I turned on an eSATA caddy). I don't know whether the W7 machine has AHCI turned on by default - can't remember being asked about it during the install. If I turn on an eSATA caddy the W7 machine doesn't miss a beat so I presume it is installed

WainuiTech: thanks very much for that info. I didn't know about the built-in imaging. I wonder if it allows you to exclude files, particularly User stuff?

I am also fond of excluding pagefile.sys (and hiberfil.sys, on other people's Vista machines). Doing that just now brought my image-requirement down from 21 GB to 8 GB

jackM
23-05-2010, 10:21 PM
AHCI is set in the BIOS. Not the best idea to change it back to IDE emulation after win7 was installed with the controller set to AHCI. May work ok, may not . . .

wainuitech
23-05-2010, 10:26 PM
WainuiTech: thanks very much for that info. I didn't know about the built-in imaging. I wonder if it allows you to exclude files, particularly User stuff? yep it does Options (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/W71274606729.jpg) - next page if you select the bottom one, you can change what you want.

BBCmicro
23-05-2010, 10:52 PM
I've just made my W7 repair boot disc. It told me to label it:

"Repair disc Windows 7 Professional (recovered) 64-bit"

I presume that my experimenting with TrueImage11 imaging and restoration is what caused the "recovered"

(I haven't installed any apps yet. I'm thinking I might restart W7 install from scratch. I didn't do it seriously the first time. I started off seriously, but good intentions went out the window when I found that Microsoft wouldn't let me re-size my 1TB drive down to 75 GB other than by a counter that ticked over in MB! That's when I let it use the full TB and did the re-sizing in XP later. The first image/restore was before mobo/graphics drivers installed. So it's all a bit of a mess. I want to get things right - and get a reliable image - before I install the apps. Once again thanks for pointing me at the W7 imaging.)

wainuitech
23-05-2010, 11:09 PM
Just a thought - from the previous post if you have altered anything Eg:
I am also fond of excluding pagefile.sys (and hiberfil.sys, on other people's Vista machines). Doing that just now brought my image-requirement down from 21 GB to 8 GB when making the W7 Image -- if you are going to start from scratch again, try the restore first, just in case.

I normally make complete images, never tried excluding items. better to find out now that a item left out is not a good idea, than if and when its actually required. ANY back up is only good if it works.

BBCmicro
23-05-2010, 11:22 PM
AHCI is set in the BIOS. Not the best idea to change it back to IDE emulation after win7 was installed with the controller set to AHCI. May work ok, may not . . .

I've just checked in the BIOS - AHCI is an option in 3 places ("PCH" SATA, eSATA, 6Gbps SATA) and all are set to IDE. I think I will leave it like that.

It seems to suggest that AHCI is not the cause of the TrueImage problem. Another piece of information: I connected a second disc to the W7 machine (in an eSATA caddy) - the TrueImage11 boot disc saw it OK! It's only the system HDD that it doesn't like...

Wainuitech: yes a trial W7 imaging, followed by a restore using the W7 boot disc, would indeed be a good confidence-builder. I'll have to think of a good way of smashing the system...

Speedy Gonzales
23-05-2010, 11:25 PM
You need SATA drivers for XP (either slipstreamed. or add them with a floppy). Vista and Win7 will work fine if AHCI is enabled. The drivers are in the install. Just dont change it (if its off) then turn it back on later. You'll crash

gary67
24-05-2010, 07:44 AM
I use it on more than one machine installed on this win & one and from the boot disc on other machines mainly XP but tried it on this win 7 machine and it was all good

Neil McC
24-05-2010, 09:43 AM
From the forums....
Version 10 is the version prior to version 11.
Version 2009 replaced version 11.
Version 2010 replaced version 2009. Version 2010 has support for Win7.

BBCmicro
24-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Thanks. I see I need to upgrade from 11 to 2010...

I've just tried Win7's internal backup process and it doesn't come close to TrueImage's ease of use (see separate thread)