PDA

View Full Version : Vista Business wont activate error code 0cx004e003

aidanmaz
23-05-2010, 06:47 PM
just tried to install vista business onto my laptop via usb as it doesnt have an optical drive. I click on the activate windows link and it promptly tells me the key is invalid for activation. I get a choice to change the key, or buy another one. i change the key, using another business key i have, thinking there might be an issue, and i after a bit it tries to activate but fails saying error code 0xc004e003 (see attached screenshot). Is there a way to resolve this without me buying another key?

Speedy Gonzales
23-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Looks like this can be caused by

Dead CMOS battery (or its nearly dead)

Time / clock is wrong in windows

aidanmaz
23-05-2010, 07:52 PM
time and date are correct. Synced via msltime1.irl.cri.nz as for cmos battery..... not sure on that one, will check bios date/time

Speedy Gonzales
23-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Try this then (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950755).If none of those work ring the 0800 automated number

aidanmaz
23-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Ok from the system properties i click the "29 days until activation click here to activate now" I click continue at the UAC prompt. A box appears saying the vista key supplied is invalid for activation. (see image attached). I get three options. Buy a new key, change the key or contact MS. Cahanging the key doesnt make a difference, and clciking contact MS doesnt give me any numbers, just a windows help and support box.

Speedy Gonzales
23-05-2010, 08:10 PM
If it says its not valid, then the key you've put in isnt for that version of vista

goodiesguy
23-05-2010, 08:14 PM
why does microsoft plauge us with activation. if windows 95 still supported all my stuff and ran all my software i'd go back to it right now

Speedy Gonzales
23-05-2010, 08:18 PM
why does microsoft plauge us with activation. if windows 95 still supported all my stuff and ran all my software i'd go back to it right now

Its called piracy. Which is probably a waste of time anyway

wainuitech
23-05-2010, 08:34 PM
I click on the activate windows link and it promptly tells me the key is invalid for activation. Thats a very common error message if you are trying to use a COA on the back of a laptop, or Side of the PC that had a pre-installed OS.

Easy enough to get around -- Simply call MS on their number it provides and use the manual activation -- So far only had it fail once (out of the many I have had to do), and had to actually talk to a person, even then just explained the key that was used is the one stuck to the PC/Laptop.

IF you are using the pre-installed key, it wont work no matter what you do, as thats a OEM (manufactures) key, MS will tell you to use the key stuck on the Laptop/PC COA.

aidanmaz
23-05-2010, 08:42 PM
OEM disc brought via computer store, shrink wrapped and all. Doesnt make sense. Will ring MS in the AM

aidanmaz
24-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Rang MS and got it sorted. this thread can now be closed. Thanks to all who helped :-)