PDA

View Full Version : Don't call the cops, coz it might be the cops

lance4k
22-05-2010, 09:20 PM
If you see a person hiding in a tree with what looks like a camera, don't call the cops because it might be the cops:

http://www.3news.co.nz/Police-hide-in-trees-to-catch-driving-offenders/tabid/817/articleID/156735/Default.aspx

So what does everyone think about this? It probably will catch offenders but it could distract motorists too.

Can cops do this without a harness? Doesn't OSH regulations apply to the police too?

tweak'e
22-05-2010, 09:29 PM
bloody good. wish we had them doing that here......actually i just wish we had cops doing road duty to start with !
if the drivers get distracted by something that minor they shouldn't be on the road at all.

qazwsxokmijn
22-05-2010, 09:54 PM
I don't mind. The speed limit is there for something, and if you break it then....guess you're fair game!

wmoore
23-05-2010, 06:08 AM
If you see a person hiding in a tree with what looks like a camera, don't call the cops because it might be the cops:

http://www.3news.co.nz/Police-hide-in-trees-to-catch-driving-offenders/tabid/817/articleID/156735/Default.aspx

So what does everyone think about this? It probably will catch offenders but it could distract motorists too.

Can cops do this without a harness? Doesn't OSH regulations apply to the police too?

Well I hope the cops are going to be there at night and early morning filming as well as the daytime. As most of these accident happen at night and early morning.

I was thinking this wouldn't work here in the UK, because you spend a lot of your time on the other side of the road, due to the fact that the roads are so narrow over here.
It will be interesting to see at the end of their campaign if the crashes have come down or not.

paulw
23-05-2010, 08:11 AM
Wonder if the tree climbing is OSH and ACC sanctioned. How will they write up the accident report when they fall out of the tree?? This sounds more like Keystone Cops rather than NZ Police but I guess they are desperate for revenue.. This will be like the old MOT and their anti speed campaign using spotter planes measuring the time between two marks on the road. The shear cost of running these aircraft killed it..

PaulD
23-05-2010, 09:00 AM
This tree climbing etc was probably a stunt for 3News. They should stick a few shop dummies up the bank and move them around every few days.

wmoore
23-05-2010, 09:17 AM
I just thought, this is quite a sensible post from Lance4K.
Well done.

ubergeek85
23-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Good on 'em. I just wish they did that here.

ATM it's a 30km/h zone because of road works, but normally it's 100km/h. People don't seem to realize that 30km/h has been chosen for a reason. It sounds like every second car is about to lose control.

Just a couple hours in the evening and at least 50 people would lose their license on the spot.

prefect
23-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Speeders are killers and need catching by any means possible.

wmoore
23-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Speeders are killers and need catching by any means possible.

What has this got to do with speeding ? The police are trying to catch people
going over the centre line.

prefect
23-05-2010, 11:10 AM
The sort of dip**** that would drive over the centre line would probaly be speeding as well.

gary67
23-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Wish they would come and sit down the bottom of our hill on market rd behind the caltex, they would catch 90% of the cars that come around that corner. Most are so far over the line that both sets of wheels are over.

Orca
23-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Wonder if the tree climbing is OSH and ACC sanctioned. How will they write up the accident report when they fall out of the tree??
You sound like an old woman government bureaucrat because any real man knows how to climb a tree and stay in it. They've had all the tree climbing experience since they were kids. Only a drunk or retard could fall out of a tree. :sleep

Sweep
23-05-2010, 04:23 PM
You sound like an old woman government bureaucrat because any real man knows how to climb a tree and stay in it. They've had all the tree climbing experience since they were kids. Only a drunk or retard could fall out of a tree. :sleep

Perhaps I should be done for not wearing a safety harness while nicking apples from a neighbours tree?

We were more worried about getting a blast of saltpetre from a shotgun as I remember it. :xmouth:

lance4k
23-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Wonder if the tree climbing is OSH and ACC sanctioned. How will they write up the accident report when they fall out of the tree?? This sounds more like Keystone Cops rather than NZ Police but I guess they are desperate for revenue.. This will be like the old MOT and their anti speed campaign using spotter planes measuring the time between two marks on the road. The shear cost of running these aircraft killed it..

you sure spotter planes were used for that? the 2 second rule is not the law is it?

Sweep
23-05-2010, 08:44 PM
I assure you they were used for that ( aircraft ) lance4k at one time.

The 2 second rule has more to do with following distance rather than speed and is not law. Very much like advisory speeds on signs that advise go around this corner at 25 Kph rather than the the speed limit of 100 Kph which may be on the same stretch of road.

But you knew this anyway didn't you.

The Road code is not the law but is an attempt to educate.

tweak'e
23-05-2010, 08:55 PM
2 second rule is not law but there is a minimum required distance which is a fraction under 2 seconds. most tailgater's are around 1/10th to 2/10th's of a second. if i remember rightly reaction time for a race driver was 6/10th's of a second. normal driver is up to 1 second.

prefect
23-05-2010, 09:10 PM
I educate tailgaters in my service truck by just slamming on the brakes and letting them run into the crane frame.
The best bit is when they ring up to complain to my boss and I am the boss.

ubergeek85
23-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Ahhh, that takes me back.

I took a similar approach with letterboxes and bull bars once.

Sweep
23-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Usual reaction time for most I was told is .75 seconds.

Get a ruler and test it for yourself.

You do this by holding you hand ready then get another person to drop same.

Or try an online test. This among others.

http://getyourwebsitehere.com/jswb/rttest01.html

PaulD
23-05-2010, 10:26 PM
you sure spotter planes were used for that? the 2 second rule is not the law is it?

It had nothing to do with following distance, if a car was seen to travel between two marks in less than a certain time it was exceeding the speed limit. I think radar in those days was easy to detect.

In the UK they have motorway cameras that can compute your average speed between cameras. Ticket sent if above limit.

lance4k
23-05-2010, 11:06 PM
2 second rule is not law but there is a minimum required distance which is a fraction under 2 seconds. most tailgater's are around 1/10th to 2/10th's of a second. if i remember rightly reaction time for a race driver was 6/10th's of a second. normal driver is up to 1 second.

so is the minimum required distance the law or just a recommendation?

Sweep
23-05-2010, 11:19 PM

You seem to have a problem with comprehesion.

2 seconds is not a distance in the first place. 2 seconds is a measurement of time.

The distance itself varies with speed.

The recommendation is that you travel 2 seconds behind to avoid a rear end collision and it is only a recommendation.

Run up the tail end of another vehicle that stops in a hurry then you are the one at fault.

tweak'e
24-05-2010, 11:16 AM

The legal minimum following distances set out in the Road User Rule are:
16 m, if travelling at a speed of 4049 km/h
20 m, if travelling at a speed of 5059 km/h
24 m, if travelling at a speed of 6069 km/h
28 m, if travelling at a speed of 7079 km/h
32 m, if travelling at a speed of 80 km/h or more.

lance4k
24-05-2010, 02:36 PM
The legal minimum following distances set out in the Road User Rule are:
16 m, if travelling at a speed of 4049 km/h
20 m, if travelling at a speed of 5059 km/h
24 m, if travelling at a speed of 6069 km/h
28 m, if travelling at a speed of 7079 km/h
32 m, if travelling at a speed of 80 km/h or more.

amazing. this happens all the time. i guess the reason the cops don't enforce this is how would they prove the distance between 2 cars without using a ruler?

how are drivers meant to know exactly how long 16m is? estimate is out of the question.

Zippity
24-05-2010, 03:01 PM
use ur common &^&% sense :)

tweak'e
24-05-2010, 06:30 PM
amazing. this happens all the time. i guess the reason the cops don't enforce this is how would they prove the distance between 2 cars without using a ruler?

how are drivers meant to know exactly how long 16m is? estimate is out of the question.

cops cannot be bothered.
most tailgater's tailgate grossly so its actually easy to see and well out the possibility of error in measurement. however the only way police see it is if they are in traffic which simply costs to much to patrol.

the stupid thing is i see time and time again is people tailgate, they get caught out, end up on sholder/drain etc and then they do it again straight after. they are so @#$%ing stupid that they repeat the same mistake over and over.
IMHO the biggest culprits seam to be middle aged in late model vehicles. they simply don't seam to give a toss about their own safety let alone anyone else's.

icow
25-05-2010, 06:25 PM

Apparently if they do some silly climbing education thingy they're aloud to climb without a harness.