PDA

View Full Version : Firefox --- PDF download problem

Billy
22-05-2010, 09:05 PM
I want to download (ie save) a pdf file.

When I use FF and then Switch Rendering Engines (the stupid website wants IE!), the PDF files opens the file in the browser. How do I force it to download the PDF?

(Yes, my FF is set to download PDF files. That is, I have Tools>Options>Applications>PDF save set.)

Thanks in advance
Billy

FF 3.6
Coral IE Tab Add-on
Windows XP

Speedy Gonzales
22-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Have you installed a PDF program?? Since FF doesnt have one in it? Right mouse on the link / save as

Billy
22-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Yes. I have Adobe Reader 9.

Normally PDF files are handled fine. Just when I have to switch Rendering Engines.

I wondered if I have to change a setting in IE8 as well?

Speedy Gonzales
22-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Cant say I've ever seen a site, where you've had to change browser to get a PDF file

Billy
22-05-2010, 09:25 PM
Telecom http://www.telecom.co.nz/yourtelecom
Download past bills.

kahawai chaser
22-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Followed your link, logged in, went to view bill, but the pdf "interrupted" or crashed - could not open. Maybe some issue. But can you open the pdf at telecom? Then click save a copy (or similar)? I'm on dial up - and pdf's are often so slow to open, sometimes fragmenting during display before full page view.

Speedy Gonzales
22-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Use a better PDF program like Sumatra. I would say Foxit, but it looks like it installs askbar, whether you want it or not. I cant test the telecom site, since I'm not with them

bob_doe_nz
22-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Why not have FFox ask where to save instead?

Billy
22-05-2010, 10:12 PM
I have. See original post. (My FF is set to download PDF files. That is, I have Tools>Options>Applications>PDF save set.)

Incidentally, how do you change the download settings in IE8? IE force IE8 to download rather than display pdf?

Speedy Gonzales
22-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Change it to always ask (It should say the name of the PDF program on the left, and let you select from always ask, save, use the PDF program, and use other)

wainuitech
23-05-2010, 12:42 AM
Foxit reader has changed where the check boxes are to install Askbar - got caught out on that one myself, but now I know where when to uncheck the boxes ;)

Speedy Gonzales
23-05-2010, 12:59 AM
The previous version before the version thats out now (its been updated recently), someone noticed that it installed askbar silently. A firewall blocked the askbar installer (that you cant see). It didnt give you the option to untick or tick it. It didnt even appear anywhere in the install. And it doesnt appear in add/remove programs

But if you install it then go to prefs (I think it was). Hide askbar toolbar is ticked. Why would it be ticked, if you didnt install it?

Neil McC
23-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Same thing has been happening to me with this new pc and I remembered that I hadn't added this addon.Try this Billy. PDF Download.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/636/

mikebartnz
23-05-2010, 01:04 PM
You can right click the link and choose Save link as

wainuitech
23-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Whos the Someone Speedy ???
The previous version before the version thats out now (its been updated recently), someone noticed that it installed askbar silently. The latest version is 3.3.1.518, the previous Version was 3.3.0.430 - All available from here (http://www.filehippo.com/download_foxit/) -- Who ever it was installing, must have just clicked next, Next etc.

The Third Window in, right after the License agreement ( which is Pre ticked - never used to be) Middle Ticked Box (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Ask.PNG) - (from version 3.3.0.430 just checked latest is the same) Clearly shows Askbar ticked- untick it,, and no askbar is installed -- I double checked.

Speedy Gonzales
23-05-2010, 01:44 PM
On another site. There's a post on the neowin forums about it. And shows pics of what the guy noticed

wainuitech
23-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Link ?

Sweep
23-05-2010, 02:11 PM
I haven't noticed that askbar behaviour here. Not installing works as expected.

Therefore I'm still quite happy to recommend Foxit and I use it here.

wainuitech
23-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Found the article -- The guys a Paranoid dickhead. He's making a big fuss over nothing.

On a workshop PC:

Its not the actual Ask tool bar - I downloaded the version mentioned, and yes it put the ask logo on the find (advertising), but NOT the actual tool bar. Even searching, the firewall didn't ask ( pun intended :p ) to allow access for askbar.

I then put in the latest again, and the Logo is gone - its now exactly the same as the search on the paid version, which is on this Office PC.

I use the paid version as it has a few features that the free doesn't.