PDA

View Full Version : New Win7 installation - can't share folders

BBCmicro
22-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Just changed from XPpro32 to W7pro64. I do the 'share' thing on various folders and they show up under 'network' as shared but my Mediagate player connected to the TV can't see them. It says 'There are no shared directories on the PC.'

The Mediagate (MG450 HD) can access the internet OK (specifically Shoutcast radio stations). The Win7 machine found the internet without trouble. The router (D-Link DI-524) shows the MAC address of the new computer and of the Mediagate. The W7 network map does not show the Mediagate but I'm not sure that it's supposed to. (It just shows W7 - D-link gateway - Internet.)

I think the Mediagate is accessing the PC because it doesn't choke immediately but pauses for about 10 secs as if searching W7 directories. Also, the error message is quite specific about 'PC' and 'no shared directories'.

What puzzles me is that under XP I just had to choose 'share' and it worked (after forcing the Mediagate to re-try of course). I've done nothing to the network except replace this computer. And I was told sharing is better under W7!

What I am I doing wrong? This is my first real experience of Win7 so the problem is probably me...

Speedy Gonzales
22-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Make sure discovery is turned on and media sharing. And make sure you give / allow access to the folder/s on the hdd

Sweep
22-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Are you trying to do the sharing via Homegroup?

If so it probably won't work.

BBCmicro
22-05-2010, 08:40 PM
No I don't have Homegroup turned on (was pre-warned by a comment on this forum). It's a Workgroup.

At some stage I turned everything on and shared everything with everyone!

A comment on the TV screen says that the Mediagate network protocols (Samba, NFS, uPnP) are only for accessing and playing media. I take this to mean that Mediagate doesn't advertise itself ie, cannot be discovered (but I could be wrong). I also couldn't find a name for the Mediagate device (it probably has a name in the manual but none of the screens show it)

Speedy Gonzales
22-05-2010, 09:00 PM
WHAT does the mediagate support?? Just videos? pics? If it does, put everything in C:\users\username\sample videos / pictures I think it is. Or open media player, then go the file menu / manage library and add the folders you've put whatever in. It probably cant find anything if what youre sharing isnt supported

wainuitech
22-05-2010, 09:02 PM
What puzzles me is that under XP I just had to choose 'share' and it worked Sharing in W7 & Vista is based, built from server software/operations, so its more secure ?? but works the same as server sharing ( but a little easier)

Quickest way to share a folder in W7 -

Right click the folder / properties/ Sharing Tab, click Share - in the drop down box select everyone - Click Add - Click Share. Click Done.

Next click on Advanced Sharing under the sharing Tab - tick "share this folder" - Click permissions, "every one" should be in the users box, Tick full control under the Allow Click OK, OK , Close. Folder now shared fully.

As long as Network Discovery is turned on it should be seen by other PC's.

BBCmicro
22-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Quickest way to share a folder in W7 -

Right click the folder / properties/ Sharing Tab, click Share - in the drop down box select everyone - Click Add - Click Share. Click Done.

Next click on Advanced Sharing under the sharing Tab - tick "share this folder" - Click permissions, "every one" should be in the users box, Tick full control under the Allow Click OK, OK , Close. Folder now shared fully.

As long as Network Discovery is turned on it should be seen by other PC's.

Yes Network Discovery is turned on. And I followed the instructions above exactly. I haven't any other PC to try to access (although I might be able to ressurect my XP machine if I swap monitor/keyboard/mouse

Speedy: the Mediagate plays videos (incl HD), jpegs, and various audio incl mp3. It has a wireless input and HDMI output. Has SATA HDD, also USB host and USB device It's about 2.5 years old and predates DLNA

I have been trying to access folders on an eSATA-connected drive on my PC but just now tried the My Music folder on C: again with no luck

Speedy Gonzales
22-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Get teamviewer and I'll see if I can fix it from here. It'll be better than mucking around all night trying to fix it

BBCmicro
22-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Found it! I mentioned "2.5years" in my earlier reply to you and I thought "Hmm - that not only pre-dates DLNA it predates Win7". So I checked the Mediagate site and it says this:
>>>>>>>>>
At this time,Windows 7 is NOT supported on any of the Medigate players.This is for technical reasons (Microsoft has changed the way it deals with Samba shares).

However, there is a know workaround to make this work - Please see this post by Q and A user William De Ha.

1) Do a Clean install of Windows 7

2) Download "Virtual XP for Windows 7" - Its a Free download from Microsoft for windows 7 Users.

3) You may have to configure Virtual XP to use your REAL network card , as opposed to a virtual one (So Virtual XP can pull a IP from Win 7).These settings can be found in >prefrences>extras

4) Create a folder within Virtual XP and share it out in the normal way.

5) re-boot both MG and PC ansd your MG should be able to find the share as it normally would.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The good news is that the problem is not "me". The bad news is that I don't want to get into virtual machines just yet, being only my second day of Win7 usage.

So I think I will go back to ferrying files on a USB stick for a while

But maybe someone can point me at a uPnP server in Win7? Mediagate say the problem is with the Samba server so maybe a uPnP server would still work? I tried the uPnP protocol (on the Mediagate) and it said "no server" or something like that.

I am fairly certain that you can't "push" content to Mediagate (ie, with Win7 as the control screen). Mediagate is a "pull" device only (with the TV as the control screen and the Mediagate remote as the control)

Speedy Gonzales
22-05-2010, 10:19 PM
It maybe similar to this (http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=107670&highlight=mediagate). Which is linked to this (http://gautamlad.com/stuff/mg350hd_windows7/). Thought I had seen something about mediagate before

BBCmicro
22-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Whew! (just read your links, Speedy)

Not only does the answer involve a virtual machine, it seems to require FTP access between XP and Win7, plus the creation/mounting of a network drive! No wonder the poster went back to USB ferrying

Anyway, that seems to be the end of this particular problem. Thanks.

I've got a few more problems but will put them in separate threads

Speedy Gonzales
22-05-2010, 11:16 PM
No probs

Nomad
23-05-2010, 12:21 AM
How did you share it? If you did "share with" - that does not work. I use properties and advanced sharing. Win2000 in my experience.

If I use "share with" Win2000 can see the shared folder but it cannot log on with the correct login and password.

wainuitech
23-05-2010, 12:30 AM
Win2000 can see the shared folder but it cannot log on with the correct login and password. in Windows 7 you disable the password protected sharing.

One way to do that -- in W7, click start, type in Advanced sharing -- Select " Manage advanced sharing Settings" -- down the bottom, select Turn off password protected sharing. Then you wont be prompted for a password when trying to access a shared folder from another PC.

If you did "share with" - that does not work. It does, you select Specific People, from the drop down box select everyone.

BUT thats only half the sharing - as I posted earlier, you still need to go into the advanced options under the folders shared tab, and give the permissions and tick a box to share.

Sharing a folder in W7 & Vista is a two step process with permissions, where XP was one step.

Terry Porritt
23-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Here's some extremely useful info....:)

Dug out a Pentium 200 from the shed that has a HDD caddy system, plugged in a Window For WorkGroups 3.11 HDD that has networking already setup on it with network name 'Local'. Win 7 picked it up straight away, with access to shared folders......may come in handy one day..............

wainuitech
23-05-2010, 12:15 PM
NAS device ?