PDA

View Full Version : Gskill Ram not compatible with themselves??

powerover
22-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Hi there guys, here is something weired:

bought an additional 2gb of ram (1 gb each stick) for my pc, so now i have 4 sticks of 1gb rams.

the first pair im using right now is Gskill Pi series: F2-6400CL4D-2GBPI
the next pair i bought from TM is Gskill as well: F2-6400CL4D-2GBPK

so as far as i can tell they are identical rams, but differect heat sink attached.

and I plug the second set into my mobo and guess what: my mobo won't post, it makes that beep sound once, hard drive light stays on for a few seconds, and that's it, no display, no nothing.

each stick of ram is tested to work, and each ram slot on my mobo is tested to work as well...

I also disabled all the overclocking by loading the mobo setup defaults....

any ideas??? what is wrong??
I have windows 7 32 bit installed, will change to 64 bit once i get all the rams working...
I have also disabled memory remap, didn't help...enabling it didn't help either...

any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. :D

thanks a lot

GameJunkie
22-05-2010, 01:27 PM
are they loaded into alternate slots ie 1/3 and 2/4?

should work anyway but..

Battleneter2
22-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Can you check the printing on each set for the Ram timing

are they all 4-4-4-12 ?

I would suggest used one set to boot, go into the bios and loosen the timing to 5-5-5-20 also bump the voltage to 2.2 volts.

Maybe you are getting a little voltage sag with 4 sticks, if it then boots you can play from there

wainuitech
22-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Have you put the RAM in the correct slots - Meaning, the first matching pair in Slots 1 & 3, (Yellow Slots) new ram in Slot 2 & 4.(Black Slots).

Those boards are good, I have used many of them in builds, and the RAM has to be in the correct slots.

powerover
22-05-2010, 01:32 PM
are they loaded into alternate slots ie 1/3 and 2/4?

should work anyway but..

thanks for your reply:

i dnt really understand what you mean...

for your info, my mobo has 4 slots, 4 yellow and 2 black, each pair is loaded in the same color slots...

oh and by the way...i have just noticed that it doesn't beep.

each pair works perfectly fine in any of the slots, but u put them together: say 1 from the PI series and 1 from the PK series, put them both in the yellow slot, or the black slot, it refuses to post... :(

Battleneter2
22-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Answer to ram timings?

wainuitech
22-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Just checked, and both should be "DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 "

Battleneter2
22-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Just checked, and both should be "DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 "

ok try the voltage bump

powerover
22-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Can you check the printing on each set for the Ram timing

are they all 4-4-4-12 ?

I would suggest used one set to boot, go into the bios and loosen the timing to 5-5-5-20 also bump the voltage to 2.2 volts.

Maybe you are getting a little voltage sag with 4 sticks, if it then boots you can play from there

thanks for your repy

um good thinking, they are all 4-4-4-12, but with the default setup of my mobo it only gives them 1.8v....

the thing is even if i only have 2 sticks (1 from each pair) it still refuses to post.... :badpc:

it did boot once, with my overclocking settings and all four sticks, using 2.1v (the voltage they are rated for, says on the packet), but then my mobo tells me that overclocking failed and it screw up windows start by giving me a blue screen of death...:( got scared so loaded the default setup..

will try that now. :D

wainuitech
22-05-2010, 01:44 PM
There is a remote chance that the two pairs are not compatible in that board.

Looking at the memory/Device Support (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Memory.jpg) on the Asus Site - only one of the pairs is. -- Just a thought.

Speedy Gonzales
22-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Is the mobo the one in your sig?? If it is the no beeps may mean the ram is incompatible (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1344477)

Check out the forum (http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5Q+PRO+TURBO&board_id=1)

powerover
22-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Hey guys I got it going....have to manually set the ram frequency to 800Mhz and bump up the voltage to 2.2V...then it just worked....lost all my overclock settings tho so have to start from scratch again.... :P

just 1 little thing that bugs me...im running the rams on 2.2V but they are only rated for 2.1v...0.1V too much...it that a biggy?? is it ealy to over volt rams? can I damage rams by overvolting??

cheers guys

special thanks to Battleneter2 :D

wainuitech
22-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Most components have a slight allowance for over voltage. Not to say it wont hurt it in the long run, but if its the only way to get it working you may have to chance it.

powerover
22-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Most components have a slight allowance for over voltage. Not to say it wont hurt it in the long run, but if its the only way to get it working you may have to chance it.

um...i will try to lower the voltage until I find the minimum stable working voltage....

cheers

gary67
22-05-2010, 02:56 PM
If you can't smell burning then I guess maybe ok

Battleneter2
22-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Hey guys I got it going....have to manually set the ram frequency to 800Mhz and bump up the voltage to 2.2V...then it just worked....lost all my overclock settings tho so have to start from scratch again.... :P

just 1 little thing that bugs me...im running the rams on 2.2V but they are only rated for 2.1v...0.1V too much...it that a biggy?? is it ealy to over volt rams? can I damage rams by overvolting??

cheers guys

special thanks to Battleneter2 :D

hey nps 2.2V is fine and its common to need to do that when overclocking.