PDA

View Full Version : Graphics card driver possibly screwed

karbren
21-05-2010, 09:17 PM
I have a GeForce 6200SE 3D PCI-Express with TV-out port and TurboCache supporting up to 256MB memory. My son was playing a game the other night and decided to alter the options menu in the game and when I discovered it later the game was stil running but the screen was somewhat distorted. I did an altF4 to get out of the game but all that did was shut the screen down with the monitor showing no input signal and was going to sleep. I thought the driver was screwed so all I could do was start it in safe mode. I downloaded another driver and managed to get it running in normal mode for 5 minutes. But ther screen froze when I was trying to make adjustments and now even with the right update it does not want to start back in normal mode. To note when it starts loading the info is scrambled meaning after you push F8 to get menu all the letters ans scrambled. You can make put what it says and also the screen was all jumpy with lines every time you restarted it with lines running across. That has almost gone with the later driver but no difference in loading up. Can it be something else?

goodiesguy
21-05-2010, 10:13 PM
could be the monitor. try another video card. if the card is screwed there is nothing you can do to fix it

karbren
21-05-2010, 10:23 PM
I was told that it would be the driver and if I put another card in it will do the same. I am waiting on a friend to see if he got one to try tonight. The monitor is fine it apparently is the the communication between computer and card to which doesn't send that signal to the monitor. A virus maybe I have done 2 scans and remove 2 things that were minor even though my antivirus not working in safe mode I have found no viruses were picked up in the last week, from the scan report.

Roger Hunt
22-05-2010, 06:39 PM
If you think its a virus download Malwarebytes and do a scan with that.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

wainuitech
22-05-2010, 06:46 PM
I was told that it would be the driver and if I put another card in it will do the same. Basically correct.

If you got corrupted drivers, just installing over the top wont do any good, they have to be completely removed, then reinstalled.

You can try DriverSweeper (http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-(Setup)_d1655.html) - run it, and select the drivers you use, this programs removes them completely. Then reboot and reinstall fresh - if it still plays up, then its more than likely a Card, or even a possible power issue (if the card requires power from the PSU directly).