PDA

View Full Version : Thermal paste 34 yrs old - OK to use?

BBCmicro
20-05-2010, 09:28 PM
The stock cooler on my new i5-750 has turned out to be too noisy and I am replacing it with a Freezer7pro. A friend gave me some white thermal paste 34 years ago when heatsinks had just been invented. It's a finger's-worth smudged to the inside of an aluminium film cannister and stored with the lid on. (Yes aluminium.)

I hesitate to spend $16, ie 25% of the cooler's price, on a bit of grease - but maybe "oxygen-free" is actually necessary...

What would you do?

KarameaDave
20-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Why take a chance?
Just chuck it and get some new stuff.

Sweep
20-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Or try it and if it doesn't work you can go buy another CPU.

Battleneter2
20-05-2010, 09:35 PM
buy new for sure, did you say 34 years old rotfl.

Not even sure about the thermal design for paste back then little own if it lasts 34 years.

If you are not overclocking the cheap $16 stuff is fine

zqwerty
20-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Add some isopropyl alcohol put on as usual it will be fine.

sal
20-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Sell the 34-year old paste on Trade Me and buy some new stuff with the proceeds.

Thebananamonkey
21-05-2010, 12:16 AM
Have you got any Marmite (http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm) around?

pctek
21-05-2010, 09:13 AM
Or try it and if it doesn't work you can go buy another CPU.

:clap:lol:

robsonde
21-05-2010, 10:09 AM
The stock cooler on my new i5-750 has turned out to be too noisy and I am replacing it with a Freezer7pro. A friend gave me some white thermal paste 34 years ago when heatsinks had just been invented. It's a finger's-worth smudged to the inside of an aluminium film cannister and stored with the lid on. (Yes aluminium.)

I hesitate to spend $16, ie 25% of the cooler's price, on a bit of grease - but maybe "oxygen-free" is actually necessary...

What would you do?

dont think of it as 25% the price of the cooler, think of is as 5% the price of the CPU.

if you kill your CPU.....

Zippity
21-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Be a mug and use it :)

Please make sure that you tell us the results.

SP8's
21-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Thermal paste is like a good red wine ... age it for at least 50 years then let it breath before consuming. :devil:

If that fails, CPU's are cheap these days !

BBCmicro
21-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the advice

I went into Dick Smith today and was surprised to see the paste in a tiny syringe, whereas my stuff has the consistency of cold Blu-tak...

I then thought of KarameaDave's advice and how far he would have to go to get to a Dick Smith, and bought it.

I suppose my old stuff should go back into storage. (for emergency use some day, you never know)

Agent_24
21-05-2010, 12:17 PM
I think it's hard to kill a CPU these days, they all have thermal protection etc.

If it was me, I'd try it out at least, who knows - it might even be better than AS5!

Go straight into BIOS and check the temperature. If it's too high then shut it off straight away. if not, watch it for 10 minutes or so, see what happens.

If it's OK, go to Windows and then see from there. Do some testing.

My guess is it won't be awesome but it'll work OK. Probably nothing worse than the OEM stuff anyway.

Edit: Blu-Tak? Maybe not... :lol:

Sweep
21-05-2010, 12:36 PM
I think it's hard to kill a CPU these days, they all have thermal protection etc.

If it was me, I'd try it out at least, who knows - it might even be better than AS5!

Go straight into BIOS and check the temperature. If it's too high then shut it off straight away. if not, watch it for 10 minutes or so, see what happens.

If it's OK, go to Windows and then see from there. Do some testing.

My guess is it won't be awesome but it'll work OK. Probably nothing worse than the OEM stuff anyway.

Edit: Blu-Tak? Maybe not... :lol:

CPUs do have thermal protection when enabled in the BIOS. However it's not always turned on.

By the time the PC boots if protection is turned off it's too late to go into the BIOS already. the CPU can fry in seconds.

BBCmicro
21-05-2010, 12:48 PM
I didn't think to check the temps - it's a good idea except I already bought new paste...

I don't know about the BIOS (how to access it from Windows) but I have Speedfan 4.33 on this XP-32bit machine. It currently shows my cores at 21

I could install Speedfan on my new Win7-64bit machine and do comparisons between the present Intel cooler and the new Freezer7pro when it arrives. (provided there's a Speedfan version that works with Win7-64) Not to compare the coolers but to see if I've done the grease thing proper

Sweep
21-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Speedfan does work on my Win7 Pro 64 if that's any help.

But Speedfan can and does give wrong info at times. Checked out a PC only two days ago which gave a temp of 127 C for the CPU and -55 C for the main board.

The BIOS showed the CPU at 41 C.

BBCmicro
21-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Speedfan does work on my Win7 Pro 64 if that's any help.

But Speedfan can and does give wrong info at times

Yes that's the OS I've got. I have had some experience of wrong temps but I think it was an app called Hot-CPU (or something like that - or was it CPU-Z??).

I'm intending to modestly overclock my i5-750 so availability of Speedfan is good news

Sweep
21-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Yes that's the OS I've got. I have had some experience of wrong temps but I think it was an app called Hot-CPU (or something like that - or was it CPU-Z??).

I'm intending to modestly overclock my i5-750 so availability of Speedfan is good news

You might want to check out this App too.

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

It also gives temps.

wainuitech
21-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Just about every CPU cooler I have seen has either the paste with it, or whats more common these days is its already applied in the form of a gray patch where it sits.

Just looked at a Freezer Pro - and guess whats there:rolleyes:

Even if it wasn't -- dont be such a tight **** a couple of $$ to purchase some new paste is far cheaper than frying a CPU and replacing that.

Speedy Gonzales
21-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Cant say Ive ever seen a CPU thermal protection option in the BIOS (on any of the more modern PC's I've built). It'll be a feature in the CPU itself, and it'll know if there's a prob, and will shut a system down, if it senses something is wrong. I know this system, the P4 system,or the new system dont have this option

Roger Hunt
21-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Sell the 34-year old paste on Trade Me and buy some new stuff with the proceeds.
I like this idea but I don't want to bid for it

Sweep
21-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Cant say Ive ever seen a CPU thermal protection option in the BIOS (on any of the more modern PC's I've built). It'll be a feature in the CPU itself, and it'll know if there's a prob, and will shut a system down, if it senses something is wrong. I know this system, the P4 system,or the new system dont have this option

So tell me. You have not seen in a modern bios the option to shut down if the CPU fan speed is less than a certain value?

Is that not a form of thermal protection for the CPU which may overheat if the CPU fan is not running?

Speedy Gonzales
21-05-2010, 02:31 PM
No I lie. Just saw it in the manual. CPU TM function. Its on by default. Shows you how much I look in the BIOS (never) :p It doesnt have a range or a temp you can select tho

sroby
21-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Have you got any Marmite (http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm) around?

b88ger,I was going to be a smartie, you beat me to it (with the link) :banana :banana

I would have thought even old grease will be OK, it doesnt have to do anything magic. As long as it still spreads- like marmite
The OEM stuff is like TAR anyway,but it still squishes down.

Agent_24
21-05-2010, 03:05 PM
The good ones (like AS5) still outperform the average ones. If you really want the best cooling, you really do need to get the best thermal interface material.

PaulD
21-05-2010, 05:05 PM
The good ones (like AS5) still outperform the average ones. If you really want the best cooling, you really do need to get the best thermal interface material.

The difference is less than you'd think based on the advertising claims.

80 compounds ranging from silicon grease to AS5, 4.6C difference overall.
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=150&Itemid=62

Agent_24
21-05-2010, 05:15 PM
I have read that review before and that is what I based my comment on.

Sure 4.6C is not a huge difference, but if you are overclocking it makes a lot of difference.

Besides, a cooler CPU is always better, why not go for the best paste you can?

Thebananamonkey
21-05-2010, 08:47 PM

We're talking by small fractions of a degree here...

Read the Marmite article. Very interesting.

Agent_24
21-05-2010, 08:58 PM
4.6 is not a small fraction of a degree

Marmite will rot and become useless very quickly

Thebananamonkey
21-05-2010, 09:14 PM
4.6 is not a small fraction of a degree

Marmite will rot and become useless very quickly

Read the article. Very interesting. Was being facetious when I suggested the Marmite. Point remains though, when was the last time you saw Marmite rot?

Agent_24
21-05-2010, 10:34 PM
I have read that article a long time ago actually... he has shown that the thermal resistance is quite similar between everything he tested.

So what? The article PaulD posted compares 80 different materials and shows varying temperatures over a range of 4.6C (not a lot, no, but not bad either)

As I said, for hardcore overclocking that extra few degrees can make all the difference (apparently - yes I admit I do not have firsthand experience)

I just like to buy a CPU, stick the stock cooler on with stock TIM and use it. If it was idling at 60C I would think of getting a better cooler, though.

If you think Vegemite\Marmite is so good, maybe you should try it out and see how long it lasts? Maybe it wouldn't rot but it'll degrade faster than most real heatsink paste out there.

When was the last time you kept your cupboard at CPU operating temperature, say 46C ?

icow
21-05-2010, 10:52 PM

You would probably get quite a lot.