PDA

View Full Version : Large XP pagefile

linw
20-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Can a large pagefile cause problems in XP? Got a machine here that blue screened with stop 77 KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR.

I went to set paging off to delete the file before setting it back on again for windows to manage. Found the min size was set to 1GB and max 2GB (RAM is 512MB).

Can settings like this cause problems?

Speedy Gonzales
20-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Put it on system managed. See if it makes a diff

linw
20-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Done that but it took nearly a week to BSOD last time so it is not an easy thing to test.

Speedy Gonzales
20-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Try some of these options (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315266). Are the service packs installed?

linw
20-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks, Speedy, but I have been discovering some pretty weird things with the disk drives (old). This machine was losing its boot drive every now and then which I put down to disk corruption. But not so.

It has a 40BG C: and 80GB D: on one pata ide cable. It seems as if the D: drive was somehow stopping the BIOS from seeing the C: drive. Messed with jumpers and changed ide cable to no avail. Finally came to the conclusion that the D: was just not going to co-exist with the C:. No idea why but it could explain all the problems being experienced with this machine. Maybe the pagefile just 'disappeared' causing the stop 77??

Now restoring an image to a 'new' D: and then it is a case of crossing fingers.

Will also recommend they buy a new sata drive - old hand-me-downs are just not cost effective (it is a charity job as well!!).

Speedy Gonzales
20-05-2010, 11:02 PM
You shouldnt get a stop error, if a page file has disappeared, or even if you disable it. What SP is / or was on it?

linw
21-05-2010, 03:33 PM
It's SP3.

Well, if the prog in RAM tried to access the pagefile, and it wasn't there any more, it would surely bsod or worse.

After messing with this setup till 1 a.m. I THINK I can see some light (but I have been wrong at least 4 times with this machine).

My new theory is that the two Samsung Spinpoint drives are very picky about drive jumpering. Every now and then one of the drives would drop off the radar completely. But it would work 'most of the time'! No jumpers won't work. Both CS won't work. At present, the master has the jumper on MA and the slave has no jumper. This seems to be working but still tentative.

One thing that did bite me, was trying the slave drive jumper on the pins with SL on them. This stuffs your drive as that is the 32GB setting!!! Oh, yes, the slave setting is NO jumper! (Having an image on an ext USB is real nice!).

So, back it goes again - but I am ready for more disappointment. Think it would be a VERY good idea to get a new SATA drive as the mobo has two such sockets. With my luck with this thing, they probably don't work!