PDA

View Full Version : "Big Time" is over

wallarro
20-05-2010, 09:35 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/3716861/Vampires-thwart-Telecom-all-you-can-eat-plan

Any thoughts?

I am still 6 months into a year contract. Does that mean I can change ISP?

Welli.

Nomad
20-05-2010, 09:52 AM
I knew it.
Where's that fella on PressF1 who was bragging how he downloaded 500GB consistently every month :lol:

Me thinks if you have it then you limit the connection to everyone so everyone who buys into the terms and conditions of Big Time get the same treatment so it is fair but then again you have some people who download stuff now and others not so it is still unfair. Some may use it every hour of the day scheduled some may use it every peak hour after work to bed time, some may use it sparingly an hour a day only.

I say get rid of it, there are high user packages and low user packages ....

Or hey go to another country at least the internet is better :lol:

At least we know of the restaurants we been to, the all you can eat are not that common these days vs the past. They are also not that great quality. We do say amongst ourselves that if you want a buffet you need to be big eaters of it is not worth it, just pay as you go :p Mind you a no. of those are now closed.

Nomad
20-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Not sure if you can change ISP - certainly can change plans me thinks.
If they do can Big Time then you should change ISP.

Battleneter2
20-05-2010, 10:01 AM
ROTFL what a crock of **** story

Telecom knew there were very heavy users when they introduced "Big Time" as they had the "Go Large" plan before that.

Telecom CAN'T make the throttling work correctly and that's why they are canceling it, lets not admit to technical issues!

Another proud day in Telecom NZ broadband history lol

IcePick
20-05-2010, 10:02 AM
http://telecom.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2064

I would expect them to offer compensation again.

I was moved from the old Go Large plan and they offered $10 per month off the Big Time plan for 3 months.

I called them up and said that I wanted the free modem that was being offered to new customers and the $10, but at first they said they couldn't do that. They mentioned a 1 month stand down period...and after a little arguing, I told them that the 1 month stand down was fine....but suddenly, after talking to a supervisor, they were then able to offer the modem and the $10...!

Nomad
20-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Telecom CAN'T make the throttling work correctly and that's why they are canceling it, lets not admit to technical issues!

LOL. Can any company correctly manage the quota systems on a all you can use plan. Cos I like to know it. And, still make money from it. :lol: And, please all theri all can use customers.

Maybe as some PressF1 users say, they should manage it better, but also make it faster and cheaper, haha.
That's a workable strategy :illogical:

Maybe I should open a restaurant, for better and cheaper food, you can also take your doggie bag and doggie box and fed your neighbourhood too.

Metla
20-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Yet another NZ company/industry that blames its customers for its own failures.

Shame on telecom, But its to be expected.

The company is scum.

Nomad
20-05-2010, 10:18 AM
The failure me thinks was to actually introduce a all you can use plan or the 2nd time maybe. Like Metla, it's expected.

Pizza Hut used to have all you can pizzas right? That was a bit more than the single adult typical meal I think. Only for indoor dining, so you cannot take 20 pizzas for your mates. Do they still have all you can eat Pizzas?

I want all I can travel, AirNZ trips around the world - unlimited mileage with all their partner airlines and partner hotels. Thanks Star Alliance and Sheraton, Hilton, 4 Seasons etc :thumbs: I also want all I can use petrol and telephone and power cost.

vims213
20-05-2010, 10:30 AM
It is disappointing that Telecom are cancelling the Big Time plan. I can't believe some people would average 1TB a month on data!!

I thought Telecom did an excellent job with the Big Time Plan compared to my previous plan (20GB Plan with Vodafone). My father is still on the Vodafone 20GB Plan so now I may have to go back to that plan.

I found web browsing at the same speed as Vodafone, watching YouTube video's (even HD versions) was much faster than Vodafone through your caching system. With Vodafone our family was using up 20GB half way through the month just for web browsing and YouTube.

The only downside to the plan was that TVNZ on Demand and other video sites were slow.

Overall, the Big Time Plan was better than than Vodafone (20GB) Plan.

When the BT Plan has been disconnected, I hope Telecom be providing a better alternative for someone like me & the family who uses around 50GB - 70GB per month? I have 5 internet users in the family and I don't think 40GB Pro Plan is enough for me.

I'm not looking forward to going back to Vodafone but if there are excellent alternatives, I will definitely stay with Telecom.

Chilling_Silence
20-05-2010, 10:44 AM
What's really stupid is how Bernie Newman is quoted saying "the Government was on the right track with its proposed investment in fibre-optic cable "so we can look forward to a time when bandwidth ceases to be a constraint".". What an idiot.

National traffic and backhaul capacity isn't the issue. The issue is the cost per-GB of the international data that the larger users are going through. Fail Bernie Newman!

Don't Slingshot do something similar to WxC with their free or larger cap for off-peak data?

Pizza Hut still have all you can eat pizzas at their restaurants, dine-in only as far as I know? I could be mistaken, it's been a while ...

All I know is the cost-per-gig for somebody like me who does 100 gigs a month is gonna be crazy insane :(

Safari
20-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Yeah well some Big Time users only have themselves to blame for this.
You only have to read this thread to see how it was abused.
http://www.pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?p=901599#post901599

Sweep
20-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Another case of a few spoiling it for the many.

Metla
20-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Yep,Those damned customers, Using a service they paid for.

Poor Telecom.

bk T
20-05-2010, 11:18 AM
As expected. Telecom should have learnt from their past failure 'Go Large' plan but unfortunately, they didn't!

BTW, when will they learn? Or, will never!

Looks like they have big, big, MANAGEMENT problem - like most NZ organistions, both private and public (Govt).

I fail to understand why they want to spend millions of dollars on paying those CEOs who only know and do nothing about their job.

DeSade
20-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Usually your pretty level-headed Metla but you have your head firmly stuck up your behind on this one.

No one can justifiy 500gb a month even if it is a all-you-can eat.
Yes it is Telecoms fault that they can't get the throttling right to make this type of plan viable but it is the users fault for these ridiculous download numbers most of which just gets deleted anyway.

Nomad
20-05-2010, 11:25 AM

That's fair. 1TB is not much.
Now social welfare and tax breaks please :thumbs:
Ohh .. and make BT cheaper and faster still :punk

MushHead
20-05-2010, 11:27 AM
No one can justifiy 500gb a month even if it is a all-you-can eat.

But that's only about 20 BluRay movies downloaded via the Pirate Bay!!

What am I supposed to watch the other 10 days in the month?? ;)

Nomad
20-05-2010, 11:35 AM
I have heard people say go get BT - you save money by not renting DVDs or going to the movies or even go out. You can stay home get movies for free, get free s/w, turn their heaters right up to high twenties walk around the house in shorts, t shirts and jandals.

I have lived in uni hostels before in senior flats, you should see what some people do as the power bills are incl in the higher cost rents with the hostel. They heat their room up so much, they even open the oven door and turn the oven to full whack.

People I think get the latest and greatest. In the olden days it was cool to have the latest Office and Windows and all the hot games and have all the hot utilities like North Systemworks (the suite of all Nortons). Such and such who went back home overseas, hey get me a free cheap game or win or office lol. That's what they did. They get cheap movies so they came back and shared them - VCD formats back then. And, I remember the days, all you can use dialup internet with Ihug $49.95.

Nomad
20-05-2010, 11:59 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/3716861/Vampires-thwart-Telecom-all-you-can-eat-plan

Any thoughts?

I am still 6 months into a year contract. Does that mean I can change ISP?

Welli.

Telecom reply from Geekzone

We obviously appreciate the fact you might want to explore options outside of Telecom's Broadband plan line up so should you wish to leave contact our call centre and they will ensure you are not charged a termination fee

kjaada
20-05-2010, 12:04 PM

I second that!100GB a month ??????

Nomad
20-05-2010, 12:07 PM
I second that!100GB a month ??????

Only 100GB ;) Some of them said 850GB or 1,000GB

Telecom's next reply:

The reality of removing a plan means yes, eventually we have to close it down completely, you will receive a letter from us which will outline the exit plan, it will give you (at least) 30 days notice.

ryanjames.powell
20-05-2010, 12:14 PM
What's really stupid is how Bernie Newman is quoted saying "the Government was on the right track with its proposed investment in fibre-optic cable "so we can look forward to a time when bandwidth ceases to be a constraint".". What an idiot.

Also, since when is bandwidth ever going to cease to be a constraint? As bandwidth goes up, so will demand. Higher and higher quality video streaming etc etc.

Nomad
20-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Also, since when is bandwidth ever going to cease to be a constraint? As bandwidth goes up, so will demand. Higher and higher quality video streaming etc etc.

Which is the reason I may not pay $10 more to my ISP each month for a FS/FS just to get the 24Mbit speed. And upgrade my router to ADSL2+.

Metla
20-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Usually your pretty level-headed Metla but you have your head firmly stuck up your behind on this one.

Telecom blunders are in no way shape or form the fault of the customers on any level.

And Telecom were well aware before they marketed the service that some people would use it to its full capabilities, Hell, It was deliberate to attract these people.

And no doubt the recent dive in profits has more to do with the cancellation of this service then any other factor.

A 2 year old could see the expected results, and plan accordingly.

Metla
20-05-2010, 12:26 PM
That aside, If NZ was up with the play and we received our media online then 100GB a month wouldn't be unexpected.

Mrs Metla was watching music video's on youtube the other day, In order to save some bandwidth I downloaded them so we could have a local copy, some of them were over 140mb each, so less then half an hours viewing and it was over a GB of data.

Do that once a night for a week and that's our pathetic over priced cap blown on our insultingly slow "broadband"

Damn customers, its all our fault.

kjaada
20-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Would it not be "fairer" if charges were a bit closer to proportional?
ie,5GB is about $80 (including extras) a month so shouldn't the charge for
100GB be about $1600 ? (just thought I would throw that in)

Metla
20-05-2010, 12:40 PM
with Xnet I believe I pay about $1 per GB on top of my $33 a month, so 100GB would cost $133

Chilling_Silence
20-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Thats a lot more than $60, and I think from my previous personal experiences that an "unthrottled" plan with Xnet is slower than a "throttled" plan with Telecom ;)

Metla
20-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Xnet is crap and over priced.

But so is everyone else.

Battleneter2
20-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Roll on FTTD then all the government needs to look at is the international Link and data prices.

Whats Telecoms shares down to now 2 bucks?

Cant say i would have a cry if the worst ever happened and MORE than happy for our tax dollars to fix this mess.

wratterus
20-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Poo. This is not good news. :dogeye:

sroby
20-05-2010, 02:18 PM
simple fix: nail the heavy users only.
Lets see, the biggest ISP in NZ cant manage customer excessive data use.
Just flag the heavy users, 1x warning, then take them off Big Time & on to another Plan. (as per existing terms and conditions)

My Big Time is so slow that I would struggle to get near 1T downloads if I tried.
I know its telecom throttling me, as Ive seen the speed available on the rare occassion when the throttling was not turned on.

And what will the new "high Speed" Broadband the Govt is paying for REALLY give us..... nothing.
Have heard rumour of $2000 to have this 'High Speed' Broadband actually connected to your home. (not denied by the Govt, they are "still negotiating" )

Battleneter2
20-05-2010, 03:10 PM
simple fix: nail the heavy users only.
Lets see, the biggest ISP in NZ cant manage customer excessive data use.
Just flag the heavy users, 1x warning, then take them off Big Time & on to another Plan. (as per existing terms and conditions)

This is not about "heavy users", that's a smoke screen excuse as Telecom had two years of previous experience with a near identical plan "Go large".

The percentage of heavy users would have always been factored into the costs and if it wasn't that would make them monumentally stupid.

Telecom are not being honest about the reason for pulling the plug.

Chilling_Silence
20-05-2010, 03:39 PM
I'm with sroby, FTTH won't give diddly squat. The issue is not the national backhaul, that's fine. The issue is the international cost-per-GB of the data.
Adding more to the national backhaul won't affect the fact that it still costs the same to get the data into the country, and that's why it's not affordable for Telecom...

Hell I'd still take Big Time, even if it was "managed" but they limited it to like 100GB or something, it's still decent value-for-money...

Sweep
20-05-2010, 03:44 PM
I'm on the other side of the fence. Hit the big users.

User pay theory.

DeSade
20-05-2010, 03:50 PM
I am on the Adventure Pro plan $80 for 40gb, I use it all and pay for it all. I would like a little more on the cap (and willing to pay for it if it was available) but this is the best I can get.

Ironically I was going to trial Big Time for a month next billing cycle see how it went.

Sweep
20-05-2010, 03:59 PM
I am on the Adventure Pro plan $80 for 40gb, I use it all and pay for it all. I would like a little more on the cap (and willing to pay for it if it was available) but this is the best I can get.

Ironically I was going to trial Big Time for a month next billing cycle see how it went.

You can go to Orcon and get a plan that will allow 220Gb.

You have to pay though.

DeSade
20-05-2010, 06:00 PM
I get the best speed possible through Xtra, 220 is a lot I only need another 20gb or so to be perfect, 40 does me fairly well thou.

Battleneter2
20-05-2010, 08:47 PM
I'm with sroby, FTTH won't give diddly squat. The issue is not the national backhaul, that's fine. The issue is the international cost-per-GB of the data.
Adding more to the national backhaul won't affect the fact that it still costs the same to get the data into the country, and that's why it's not affordable for Telecom...

Hell I'd still take Big Time, even if it was "managed" but they limited it to like 100GB or something, it's still decent value-for-money...

NZ needs to do the following

1. Break Telecoms Near local loop monopoly with FTTD (if handled well).
2. Break Telecoms Near monoply with International capacity (Southern Cross)
3. Future proof likely residential capacity requirements, so that rules out DSL2.

All these things need to be correct not just one that suits you personally!. Fixing all 3 will likely bring down data charges and level the playing field, and yes us Tax payers will have to pay for 10 years of NZ broadband mismanagement.

Honestly do you have Telecom shares or something?

Sweep
20-05-2010, 08:51 PM
It's just the dawn chorus I can hear in the background. :)

Chilling_Silence
20-05-2010, 09:56 PM
NZ needs to do the following

1. Break Telecoms Near local loop monopoly with FTTD (if handled well).
2. Break Telecoms Near monoply with International capacity (Southern Cross)
3. Future proof likely residential capacity requirements, so that rules out DSL2.

All these things need to be correct not just one that suits you personally!. Fixing all 3 will likely bring down data charges and level the playing field, and yes us Tax payers will have to pay for 10 years of NZ broadband mismanagement.

I'm just sick of seeing misinformed people. This is the TUANZ we're talking about and even their spokesperson has it wrong!

Tell me how improving the national backhaul would have prevented the closure of the Big Time plan?
How retarded is that to say that "If we had 100m/bit fibre, we wouldn't have this issue". WRONG in so many ways!
If we had 100m/bit fibre, imagine how much MORE people would be downloading! IMAGINE! They're currently limited to a max of 24mbps (Though real world likely top out around sync of 16mbps in my experience).
Now, tell me how improving the national backhaul will improve the cost-per-GB of bringing data into the country, which we've established already is why the Big Time plan has to close. It won't. The Pacific Fibre project *ought* to, but time will of course tell.

Future proofing is one thing, but losing a current plan because our international data is already too expensive for current consumption is another ...

decibel
21-05-2010, 12:16 AM
The Pacific Fibre project *ought* to, but time will of course tell.

Future proofing is one thing, but losing a current plan because our international data is already too expensive for current consumption is another ...

Totally agree - we need a BIG competitor to Southern Cross to get international data prices down.

Battleneter2
21-05-2010, 09:17 AM
I'm just sick of seeing misinformed people. This is the TUANZ we're talking about and even their spokesperson has it wrong!

Tell me how improving the national backhaul would have prevented the closure of the Big Time plan?
How retarded is that to say that "If we had 100m/bit fibre, we wouldn't have this issue". WRONG in so many ways!
If we had 100m/bit fibre, imagine how much MORE people would be downloading! IMAGINE! They're currently limited to a max of 24mbps (Though real world likely top out around sync of 16mbps in my experience).
Now, tell me how improving the national backhaul will improve the cost-per-GB of bringing data into the country, which we've established already is why the Big Time plan has to close. It won't. The Pacific Fibre project *ought* to, but time will of course tell.

Big Time closed because of incompetent handling (no surprise there)

Do you not understand Telecom still controls most of the local loop through wholesale.

Do you not understand Telecom Controls most of the international Capacity

You are horribly fixated on 50% of the problem.

Chilling_Silence
21-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Big Time closed because of incompetent handling (no surprise there)
To a certain degree, yes. They're always playing cat & mouse trying to keep up with ways around bandwidth shaping

Do you not understand Telecom still controls most of the local loop through wholesale.
I fail to see what that has to do with anything? Nobody is griping about the base cost of $60 for unlimited broadband are they? Is it relevant in any way? No. Not in the slightest. By all those who've got unlimited broadband, $60 was quite generous compared with the fact you pay the same for a 20GB plan. What the problem is for Kiwis is the cost per-GB.
Why have a 100m/bit line, or even a 50m/bit VDSL2 line when you still only get 10GB of data per-month. It's pointless.

Do you not understand Telecom Controls most of the international Capacity
Yes, I do, but it makes SFA difference who controls it realistically. What matters is the cost in which they can get the data from overseas, into the country at. I couldn't care less who owns it. Again, the owner details are totally irrelevant. The price per-GB, that's what matters.
Tell you what, you find a way to bring data in cheaper than Telecom is getting it, and I can pretty much promise you that Telecom Xtra would begin using it. Telecom Xtra does not *have* to buy from Telecom Chorus.

You are horribly fixated on 50% of the problem.
No deal. You are horribly fixated on bashing Telecom. Why? After them *trying* to give you a flat-rate data plan, the only ISP to do so (There are Xnet / Slingshot with free after-hours traffic), all you can do is ***** and moan. You are the reason that Kiwis have the bad name off suffering from tall poppy syndrome, chopping down anybody who tries to do something good and stand above the rest.

Agent_24
21-05-2010, 12:20 PM
They should just change the Terms and Conditions (they already say they're allowed to do this at any time if they so wish to) then, kick the heavy users off and keep it, and\or reduce the maximum line speed to 2Mbit or something

Chilling_Silence
21-05-2010, 12:30 PM
That'd be nice :D

Netsukeninja
26-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Has anyone here received an email or letter from telecom regarding the BT closure?

Chilling_Silence
26-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Nothing since the last one.

Netsukeninja
26-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Nothing since the last one.

Telecom hasn't even contacted me at all regarding the closure, no email, no letter. If they change my plan without notifying me, do I have any wriggle-room?

Sweep
26-06-2010, 04:36 PM
I have not but there again I don't use Bigtime. I also don't have a long term contract.

I have both phone and internet with Telecom.

Sweep
26-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Telecom hasn't even contacted me at all regarding the closure, no email, no letter. If they change my plan without notifying me, do I have any wriggle-room?

Have you read the fine print in the contract. Very often the company can move the goal posts at their whim.

Agent_24
26-06-2010, 06:04 PM
I only have the first email saying that Big Time would come to a close in the future but nothing since then.

bk T
27-06-2010, 12:47 AM
I receive nothing at all, no email, no letter, no phone call, nothing. Maybe Telecom has forgotten about it! :D

robbyp
27-06-2010, 01:23 AM
Have you read the fine print in the contract. Very often the company can move the goal posts at their whim.

Services change, it is business. All businesses will change the services they offer from time to time..

robbyp
27-06-2010, 01:25 AM

You probably haven't given them your newest contact details,or they probably haven't got your email address, or it could be in your spam folder? If you are using xtras email system it is likely to be in your spam/junkmail folder, as there system is bad at doing that.

Netsukeninja
27-06-2010, 01:27 AM
You probably haven't given them your newest contact details,or they probably haven't got your email address, or it could be in your spam folder? If you are using xtras email system it is likely to be in your spam/junkmail folder, as there system is bad at doing that.

I'm having no issues receiving bills from Telecom, so my details are up to date.

bk T
27-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Probably they are still undecided whether or not to keep their old customers who are with Big Time. I'm receiving their monthly Invoices and checked my spam folder. There must be something going on.

Netsukeninja
06-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Alright, well my BT month is about to finish (7 June -7 July) so has anyone actually been forced off the plan? or will it go on for another month?

wratterus
06-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Mine's still going fine... I've been put right off Slingshit after reading through the thread on GP Forums about them...still not too sure what to change to. :(

I'm quite happy with how Big Time is running at the moment... :p

Sweep
06-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Alright, well my BT month is about to finish (7 June -7 July) so has anyone actually been forced off the plan? or will it go on for another month?

It's quite apparent that no person knows for a fact at this time when big time will end. Or if they do they are not telling.

Suck it and see. In the meantime keep an eye on your usage.

Agent_24
06-07-2010, 05:01 PM
From Telecom (http://telecom.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2064):
Big Time was removed from the Line-up on the 20th of May 2010

You will receive a letter from us in the coming months with your options and giving you advanced notice before we need to move you to another broadband plan.

It has only been a month and a half or so since the 20th of May. I expect Big Time will remain functional for a while yet, if "the coming months" is anything to go by.

Other than that, it seems nobody knows anything.

They aren't going to switch anyone's plans without at least telling them that they are doing so.

powerover
06-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Pizza Hut still have all you can eat pizzas at their restaurants, dine-in only as far as I know? I could be mistaken, it's been a while ...

All I know is the cost-per-gig for somebody like me who does 100 gigs a month is gonna be crazy insane :(

like the all you can eat pizza..i don't even know it existed until now. :P

I used to live on campus and internet was like 35 for 10GB and I think that is expensive enough......

I don't understand, im sure telecom is making ton loads of money, even they claim they are losing money and have to kill the BT plan because some users are using too much...

mum and dad returned from the holiday trip in china about 2 year ago, and they were telling me that internet over there is like free pretty much, very high speed (she managed 2, 3 MB/s downloading speed during off peak period), and ISPs are still making money.

I think competition is what we need here, telecom is getting some, but not enough, we need more, much much more.

if telecom is not making ton loads of money, then what is costing them so much???

pcuser42
06-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Suck it and see. In the meantime keep an eye on your usage.

In that case, I hope there's a 100GB plan :horrified

Chilling_Silence
06-07-2010, 06:23 PM
I think competition is what we need here, telecom is getting some, but not enough, we need more, much much more.

if telecom is not making ton loads of money, then what is costing them so much???

The fact that international data (Where 90% of your usage comes from) costs them so much. That's why ... Nothing to do with the ISP's, adding another 3-4 dozen ISP's won't change that at all.

decibel
06-07-2010, 07:42 PM
The fact that international data (Where 90% of your usage comes from) costs them so much. That's why ... Nothing to do with the ISP's, adding another 3-4 dozen ISP's won't change that at all.

Yes and we all know who owns 40-odd per cent of Southern Cross, don't we ?

powerover
06-07-2010, 08:21 PM

um...cost telecom so much?? what are they paying for? to use that big under sea cable between here and Australia?

Chilling_Silence
07-07-2010, 10:14 AM
They're basically charged per-gig for all data. From what I understand it's around USD$0.18
So, while they wouldn't make much on high traffic users, they're still likely making *something* right? I guess I'm just bummed the plans closing ...

Yes and we all know who owns 40-odd per cent of Southern Cross, don't we ?
Surely if they owned it then they would want to put more data through it and make more of a profit off it right? It's not just about "owning part of the cable". Speculate all you want, all day long, I don't really care ...

Battleneter2
07-07-2010, 10:57 AM
They're basically charged per-gig for all data. From what I understand it's around USD$0.18

This is incorrect, SC charge for "Capacity" to ISP's, there is a fundamental difference.

ISP's will then use a formula to work out "data charges", utilising that capacity as much as they can. Obviously not using that capacity is a waste of money, over using it will result in poor performance for consumers.

Ultimately SC capacity charges are to high, but being a private company 40% owned by telescum, we really dont know how much this company makes, although it appears we are being rapped.

Agent_24
07-07-2010, 12:09 PM
In that case, I hope there's a 100GB plan :horrified

Make it $50 or less too, that would be awesome.

Netsukeninja
07-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Well it ticked over for another month, so I guess it's back to waiting for the letter.

Sweep
07-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Well it ticked over for another month, so I guess it's back to waiting for the letter.

Which is more or less what I said. :-)

Chilling_Silence
07-07-2010, 03:04 PM
This is incorrect, SC charge for "Capacity" to ISP's, there is a fundamental difference.

ISP's will then use a formula to work out "data charges", utilising that capacity as much as they can. Obviously not using that capacity is a waste of money, over using it will result in poor performance for consumers.

Ultimately SC capacity charges are to high, but being a private company 40% owned by telescum, we really dont know how much this company makes, although it appears we are being rapped.

You're right, they're charged for the capacity, not the data that flows through it.

http://www.nbr.co.nz/opinion/chris-keall/decoding-southern-cross-cable-s-price-cuts

pcuser42
08-07-2010, 01:30 PM
The letter arrived today, it says that if Telecom don't hear from us by 13 August, they'll automatically put us onto the Adventure Broadband plan. However they recommended the Pro Broadband plan for us.

But a Vodafone guy came last night and we signed up for their 30GB ADSL2+ plan. :D

Oh, and Telecom will wave the early termination fee.

bk T
08-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Just checked my mail, got the letter from Telecom, finally. They recommended the Pro Plan and if I move to this plan by 13 Aug, they will give a $20 credit for 3 months.

stu161204
08-07-2010, 02:35 PM
The letter arrived today, it says that if Telecom don't hear from us by 13 August, they'll automatically put us onto the Adventure Broadband plan. However they recommended the Pro Broadband plan for us.

Same here, we also got the letter today, saying the exist same thing….

It looks like I will be doing a big download very soon!

RIP Big Time! :(

How I am I going to survive with a cap! :stare: :waughh:

Chilling_Silence
08-07-2010, 02:41 PM
I'm wondering it too. My wife's been on a downloading binge, software updates, the works ...

*so* annoyed, but looks like we'll be going to Orcon. Data cap, here we come :(

nofam
08-07-2010, 03:36 PM
I'm still looking at Slingshot, as the idea of free downloads between 2am and 8am appeals (very easy to set Windows updates/cron/uTorrent to run then), but their FAQ pages seem rather vague about packet shaping:

Traffic management

This is a very important part of how we look after the network and it's applied to all our broadband plans.

We use a methodology called Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) to identify and protect types of traffic that are latency (delay) sensitive and popular applications (like Facebook and gaming) above other traffic. This means that at times of high network load, less time sensitive traffic types will be affected. Examples include bittorrent and peer to peer (p2p). The good news is that p2p and other traffic types such as YouTube are accelerated by our industry leading caches

But then:

there is not much road capacity left during rush hour after the time sensitive traffic has been let through which has the unfortunate effect of apparently constraining p2p etc... what is really happening is that time sensitive traffic such as VoIP, http browsing etc is treated better and goes first. So come the off-peak hours not much time sensitive traffic exists and we get to drive our cars really fast because the roads are empty.

To reiterate:

1) Time sensitive traffic is prioritised to ensure good service for VoIP, browsing, gaming, VPN's etc
2) Downloads are not being throttled
3) Customers are not being rate shaped at any time of the day (unless they have used their data cap)

Apologies if I'm being thick, but points 2 & 3 seem to contradict the first statement somewhat?? :illogical

Chilling_Silence
08-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Yeah :D

Vodafone looks like the best deal with their $100 Ultimate (30GB) package otherwise...

DeSade
08-07-2010, 04:39 PM
We just ditched Telecom completely, Internet and Phone.
Not on the Big Time plan but we could not get the extra bandwidth we needed through any Telecom plans.

Now on 110gb and calling from Orcon.
The speed is faster and the service/web site great so far.

:thumbs: for Orcon

qazwsxokmijn
08-07-2010, 04:43 PM
Alright guys, let's go on a downloading binge - whatever you want to download just to pinch Telescum! :D

pcuser42
08-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Download party at my place :D

goodiesguy
08-07-2010, 07:57 PM
is a download party where you just download a load of big files?

qazwsxokmijn
08-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Careful who you invite, you don't want the cops come-a-knockin!

Netsukeninja
08-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Yeah I might recurse a couple hundred linux mirrors. Can't get enough of those linux isos.

Agent_24
08-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Yeah I might recurse a couple hundred linux mirrors. Can't get enough of those linux isos.

:lol:

GameJunkie
08-07-2010, 09:30 PM

can i PM you a small list, only a small one?? :D :devil

pcuser42
09-07-2010, 09:28 AM
can i PM you a small list, only a small one?? :D :devil

Small in comparison to what? :p

vims213
10-07-2010, 01:28 AM
Hey guys.

My internet access for Big Time has gone this morning and wondering if it happened to any of you guys.

I thought the plan is going to finish at the end of July.

Cheers

8ftmetalhaed
10-07-2010, 01:45 AM
might've crashed what with people abusing it in the final few days/?

Agent_24
10-07-2010, 02:10 AM
Hey guys.

My internet access for Big Time has gone this morning and wondering if it happened to any of you guys.

I thought the plan is going to finish at the end of July.

Cheers

The letter said 13th of August. What do you mean by it "has gone"?

vims213
10-07-2010, 09:18 AM
The letter said 13th of August. What do you mean by it "has gone"?

What I mean is that I cannot connect to the internet. On Windows 7, my router is showing up but it says that I have no internet access.

So Telecom haven't disconnected Big Time User's yet?

vims213
10-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Actually don't worry.

I just found out my dad just recently changed to the Telecom Pro Plan a few days ago without telling me. There's some deal where you get $20 off in the first few months.

I'm a bit annoyed as I wanted to use the Big Time plan as much as I can before August 13.........Oh well :-(

sahilcc7
10-07-2010, 02:24 PM
wonder if xnets any good?

Chilling_Silence
10-07-2010, 10:56 PM
No, they're not

ubergeek85
13-07-2010, 12:24 AM
Got my letter today :(

Went for the 40Gb. For $80.

From my personal best of 277Gb, to this? Boo!

Here (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=135638533125395)'s my response.

The Error Guy
13-07-2010, 12:45 AM
Just ditched telco for orcons to a massive...... 12gb, 128kb/s up :rolleyes: i'm going to suffer. and suffer hard. it what happens when you dont pay for it.

nofam
13-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Can someone please refresh my memory; is this linespeed likely to mean ADSL, or ADSL2+:

Slingshot Broadband is available in your area and your line speed is estimated to be greater than 4Mbps.

davidmmac
13-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Can someone please refresh my memory; is this linespeed likely to mean ADSL, or ADSL2+:

ADSL can reack speeds of up to 7.6Mbps, ADSL2+ can reach speeds of 24Mbps.

The slingshot line checker told me the same thing but I can't get ADSL2+ as I'm to far away, but my speeds can go above 4mbps.

So it could mean either, but if you go here (http://www.telecomwholesale.co.nz/maps)and type in your address, you should find out whether you'll be able to get ADSL2+.

nofam
13-07-2010, 01:13 PM
ADSL can reack speeds of up to 7.6Mbps, ADSL2+ can reach speeds of 24Mbps.

The slingshot line checker told me the same thing but I can't get ADSL2+ as I'm to far away, but my speeds can go above 4mbps.

So it could mean either, but if you go here (http://www.telecomwholesale.co.nz/maps)and type in your address, you should find out whether you'll be able to get ADSL2+.

Thanks David - should've pointed out I'm currently on ADSL2+ with Telecom, but was looking to move to SS; does the fact that my exchange has already been upgraded automatically mean that ADSL2+ is available through other ISP's, provided I purchase a plan that allows for it?

Chilling_Silence
13-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Provided they're wholesaling off Telecom Chorus, then yeah, you basically get ADSL2+ as well :) (AFAIK)

Nomad
13-07-2010, 02:20 PM

I heard that for the speed to go a bit faster you would need FS upload as well.

davidmmac
13-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Thanks David - should've pointed out I'm currently on ADSL2+ with Telecom, but was looking to move to SS; does the fact that my exchange has already been upgraded automatically mean that ADSL2+ is available through other ISP's, provided I purchase a plan that allows for it?

Provided they're wholesaling off Telecom Chorus, then yeah, you basically get ADSL2+ as well :) (AFAIK)

^ +1 :).

nofam
13-07-2010, 05:06 PM
^ +1 :).

Have e-mailed Slingshot with my Exchange details to confirm this.

I think the safest option is to wait for the Big Time deadline to pass however, and see which ISP's get nailed/oversubscribed with exiting Telecom users!! :D

Kelem
14-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Has anyone come up with a good substitute for the now defunct and soon to be gone big time plan.

I would be most happy to completely say goodbye to Idiotcom that would be over $500 per month less they would be getting from me.

Netsukeninja
14-07-2010, 06:56 PM
I'm looking into Woosh's Wired Broadband, they apparently offer 100GB +/- a homeline. Just a matter of getting in contact with them. Sent them an email regarding, I'll post when I get a reply.

hueybot3000
14-07-2010, 06:57 PM
We got our letter :-(

Kelem
14-07-2010, 07:20 PM
I think my next ISP will have agree to my terms and conditions.

Will supply me my phone and not piss me off
will supply me broadband and not piss me off
Will pay thru the nose if they cancel or change either of the above and or piss me off

simple really

Kelem
14-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Who ever designed the sligshot website need to become a builder or sparky

Chilling_Silence
14-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Yeah it's terrible. Best value-for-money looks like Vodafone's Ultimate Pack:
http://www.vodafone.co.nz/home-phone-and-broadband/bundles/ultimate-pack.jsp

If you go over you get capped, or you can buy another 30GB for $30, which is half the cost of what most ISP's will charge you for additional data (Usually $2 per-GB).

Kelem
14-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Reckon your right re" vodafone, still a bit of time. Like was wisely posted above maybe worth sitting back some and waiting to see what pops up.

Kelem
21-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Reckon your right re" vodafone, still a bit of time. Like was wisely posted above maybe worth sitting back some and waiting to see what pops up.

Worldnet looks to be the front runner for me, and ceel definately Vodafone they are gonna give me a new X6 (whatever that is ):nerd: just for joining :banana

Battleneter2
22-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Worldnet looks to be the front runner for me, and ceel definately Vodafone they are gonna give me a new X6 (whatever that is ):nerd: just for joining :banana

Suggest you have a "good" read, this is pretty damming
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=49&topicid=56747&page_no=1

wratterus
22-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Suggest you have a "good" read, this is pretty damming
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=49&topicid=56747&page_no=1

Wow...that's bad. :ban

Kelem
22-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks for that OUCH!

Chilling_Silence
22-07-2010, 07:12 PM
Hell hath no fury like the wrath of a pissed off geek ;)

Agent_24
22-07-2010, 07:57 PM
And some people complain about Telecom :lol:

Chilling_Silence
23-07-2010, 12:27 PM
All in all I thought it was a well-rounded complaint, well documented ... :D

GameJunkie
23-07-2010, 12:38 PM
All in all I thought it was a well-rounded complaint, well documented ... :D

very good read indeed

wratterus
23-07-2010, 12:42 PM