PDA

View Full Version : can't copy video to ipod

GameJunkie
19-05-2010, 11:34 PM
i've converted a whole bunch of avi's to m4v with handbrake and started adding them to my ipod.

the first 10 or so added fine with no problems but the ones i try to add after say "video was not copied because it cannot be played on this ipod"

bit confused here

ideas??

Speedy Gonzales
19-05-2010, 11:36 PM
Usually means its in the wrong format

GameJunkie
19-05-2010, 11:39 PM
do they have to be mp4 first then encode with handbrake to m4v?

is that what you mean?

every video was encoded to m4v and most of them copied over fine so can't see how they are in the wrong format:confused::badpc:

Speedy Gonzales
19-05-2010, 11:57 PM
I have no idea. Sometimes when I record with this tuner (it records in MP4), I have to convert it to H.264 or whatever it is, so Itunes can sync it. Since there's 2 version of MP4 (by the looks of it. H264, and MP4?). Dont know what the diff is, but there is one. Sometimes I use Freez Ipod converter, which does a pretty good job, and its free

Chilling_Silence
20-05-2010, 12:01 AM
Nice try. MP4 is the "container" format, similar to AVI. Think of it as the pencil case that your Audio and Video streams go into.

h.264 is a format for video streams, most popularly encoded with the likes of x264, an open-source encoder.
You can have h.264 video in an MP4 container, or in an AVI container, or in a Matroska container...

m4v usually references a raw video-only stream, so technically speaking it *ought* to be mp4 if you've also got audio, though windows / iTunes etc usually don't care too much about it as they all open with a player that's perfectly capable of playing audio as well as video.

Anyways, I'd double-check the ones that you've encoded, make sure that everything is OK with them. Potentially re-encode them and make sure you've selected the correct options on the right-hand side of Handbrake etc

GameJunkie
20-05-2010, 12:02 AM
i set handbrake's preset to iphone/ipod touch, the container is mp4 file and spits out the M4V when done. weird though.

i'll give Freez Ipod converter a go and post back

under the 'video tab the video codec is H.264

i can add them to the itunes library and they play no problem.

shall i reencode the M4V files or the mp4 originals?

zqwerty
20-05-2010, 12:16 AM
This will convert to iPod format directly:

http://www.freewarefiles.com/XMedia-Recode_program_47942.html

Look in profile dropdown/apple/ipod

GameJunkie
20-05-2010, 12:21 AM
i'll look at that if Freez doesnt work

cheers

Chilling_Silence
20-05-2010, 12:25 AM
It's always best to encode from the originals, not the already encoded ones.

In that case, it's probably just what you've "named" it, if I remember rightly it tacks on m4v on the end even if you click "MP4" for some reason. You can modify that yourself, it makes precious little difference really ... :)

GameJunkie
20-05-2010, 12:27 AM
the originals were in AVI, then i converted them into mp4, then used handbrake to re-encode to m4v.

update: speedy , you are a legend. freez converted them to H264 then i copied them into my ipod and all is well.:thanks:clap:banana

GameJunkie
20-05-2010, 01:07 PM
update 2: the videos that i had the issue with copied over to my new ipod touch no problems.

i think it was because the encoding preset was for the touch not my old 30gb model.

all is well now

Chilling_Silence
20-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Knew it'd be the preset ;) Well done.

GameJunkie
20-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Yeah, Plays good aswell.
(I'm writing this via my ipod at uni, soo awesome:D