PDA

View Full Version : del tree *.* ???

SurferJoe46
19-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Will this destroy everything on a hdd?

del tree *.*

For some arcane reason, I cannot get rid of a version of ME on a computer - not even with PCLOS or 98SE.

It won't work.

I can get to DOS I think - but is that the com/line I need?

Sweep
19-05-2010, 07:16 PM
It won't work.

Boot off a 98 boot floppy and then format C:

SurferJoe46
19-05-2010, 07:24 PM
It won't work.

Boot off a 98 boot floppy and then format C:

Good idea. But then I would have to install a Floppy slot and drive.

This mobo won't boot off a USB and only wants to read c\

There is no flop hole and this is driving me nuts.

I pulled the battery, booted until my booting finger bled and it still opens in a broken copy of ME and crashes with a black screen and tries to re-boot over and over.

It never gets to a screen that looks anything like ME either.

No post beeps or anything. The hdd busy light goes ON then goes OFF.

Tried a few different hdds too - even one that had a good copy of 98SE on it - Nope.

I know! I know! It's only ME!!!!!

But it's NOT mine!

Speedy Gonzales
19-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Whats the specs of the system youre trying to install it on? And how much ram is on it? Or put the hdd in another system. Then format it. Then it'll work

SurferJoe46
19-05-2010, 07:33 PM
I guess it'll be no surprise that the unit's a Compaq.

1.6 GHz or so, 2G RAM, one 160G HDD at the mo, and yeah - I guess I can format the hdd in a different unit alright.

Gack! This is worse than Chinese third level algebra in Cuneiform Hieroglyphics. I think I like L-things better!

I'd like to have more system info, but so far Belarc refuses to run on a system without an OPSYS!

HINT: It was beat up pretty bad by p0rn and junk of a nasty nature since it ran for a few years with NO security or support from Uncle Bill.

NO - it isn't a bootlegged ME either. Don't ask me why I am trying to fix it - I am just bored and rather - well 'kinda' interested in seeing this through, one way or t'other.

Bryan
19-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Joe, can't you put the 98 in the drive and get to fdisk c:. I would have thought that would work. Note that it is fdisk you need, not format.

Speedy Gonzales
19-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Me wont work with 2 GB thats probably why it crashes. 98 wont work with 2 GB either. It may if you've got a 512mb stick then install it, then change the vcache settings (if you can install it)

SurferJoe46
19-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Joe, can't you put the 98 in the drive and get to fdisk c:. I would have thought that would work. Note that it is fdisk you need, not format.

That might work OK. MY had is spinning and I think I either need a stiff drink or sleep.

Sleep - and visions of sugar plum fairies are a good idea right now. It's almost Midnight:00 so I should get a little sleep to hit this fresh and bushy-tailed.

I'll try that again when I get 1) sober or 2) awakened.

I see SWEEP has just popped up for me and I better go check his idea b4 bed. BRB

SurferJoe46
19-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Me wont work with 2 GB thats probably why it crashes. 98 wont work with 2 GB either. It may if its under 512 / 768, and you maybe able to fix it (if you can install it)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Another good idea!

I'll dump some stix then in the AM.

TY all . Sleep or stupor calls.

SP8's
19-05-2010, 08:25 PM
HINT: It was beat up pretty bad by p0rn and junk of a nasty nature since it ran for a few years with NO security or support from Uncle Bill.

Makes you wonder what Surfer Joe will be dreaming about tonight :devil:

Erayd
19-05-2010, 08:45 PM
From Linux (you mention you have PCLOS running on it):
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda1 bs=32KThat will zero-write the partition. Obviously you should replace sda1 with the partition you actually want to wipe; if you want to wipe the entire drive then remove the number (e.g. use '/dev/sda') - note that if you wipe the entire drive you will need to repartition it afterwards.

There's no way ME will come back from the dead after that treatment.

kahawai chaser
19-05-2010, 09:36 PM

I agree - I have done a few times a few years back with 98 (use to get bsod's), I think temporary ram (oaks or something was the company name?) is set up once the disc is inserted.

Sweep
19-05-2010, 11:10 PM
I agree - I have done a few times a few years back with 98 (use to get bsod's), I think temporary ram (oaks or something was the company name?) is set up once the disc is inserted.

There's no floppy drive installed. You were probably thinking of the sys driver so you can access the CDRom drive. That was Oak as below:-

============================================

1. Start with CD-ROM support.
2. Start computer without CD-ROM support.
3. View the help file.
Enter a choice: 1
DOS=HIGH,UMB [Enter=Y ,Esc=N]?Y
DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF [Enter=Y, Esc=N?Y
DEVICE=OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001 [Enter=Y, Esc=N]?Y
This driver is provided by Oak Technology, Inc..
OTI-91X ATAPI CD-ROM device driver, Rev D91xV352 (C)Copyright Oak Technology Inc. 1987-1997

SurferJoe46
21-05-2010, 03:34 AM
OK - to answer a few questions:::

This unit is not mine - it belongs to a person who lives around here and he said it was full of nasties. He asked me to get rid of the bad stuff or just keep the puter for myself if it cannot be fixed. I said: "Anything can be fixed --- or burned".

I don't really have PCLOS running on it - I just have an install disc with that L-version on it and thought it might work as an ME-killer.

Gonna drop the rancid hdd into a working unit and the scrub everything and start all over with it back in the Compaq.

Or maybe I'll just open a new hdd and start fresh too - I still don't even know if the hdd is any good physically either!

Sleep was fitful, but not for reasons mentioned by SOMEONE above. I just hurt all over some days/nights (or combinations thereof) and spend the night tossing and checking the clock to see if it is still moving or not.

A little wine or Scotch at night sometimes helps - but I have to not go over the edge or become dependent upon it as a fix. I have meds for this - but I don't like the side effects of them either.

Don't get old.

Thanks guys and I'll get to this Compaq vs ME problem sometime today I promise.

Agent_24
21-05-2010, 01:22 PM
http://www.dban.org/

Download the ZIP file, burn the ISO inside, boot from it, and use it to completely wipe the drive.

Then you can do whatever you like..

SurferJoe46
21-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Ah! The ol' dban.

I completely forgot it - thanks! I even HAD a copy of it around here somewhere

<shuffles things on desk and shelves and under bed>

mikebartnz
21-05-2010, 07:42 PM
I don't really have PCLOS running on it - I just have an install disc with that L-version on it and thought it might work as an ME-killer.
Put the install disk in and when up and running go to configure your computer(Control Centre)/ Local Disks/ Manage disk partitions.