PDA

View Full Version : Paging error message..........

Billy T
19-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Harking back to This Thread everything has pretty much settled down now, but I am still getting these messages in Event Viewer at regular intervals:

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\D during a paging operation.

HD2 is either one of my Raid data disks, or possibly the Raid pair together I guess. I have a separate 6GB logical drive for my paging file on my data disk (plus of course the paging file in C but as I understand it the secondary file is used by preference and it certainly is being used, there's 2.5 gigs of space gone.

Should I be concerned about this? The disks are WD 600GB.

The only other regular message in System is this:

"The description for Event ID ( 18 ) in Source ( PciSPorts ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer."

which confuses me. What might the 'remote computer' be?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Speedy Gonzales
19-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Wouldnt worry about the paging error. Used to see that a lot. I just left it.

Are you using a PCI card for SATA / RAID?

inphinity
19-05-2010, 12:05 PM
What does Disk Management show as HD2?

pctek
19-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Harking back to This Thread everything has pretty much settled down now, but I am still getting these messages in Event Viewer at regular intervals:

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\D during a paging operation.

I would worry. Everytime I have seen that, SMART corrects for a while but eventually the drive craps out.

Billy T
19-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Are you using a PCI card for SATA / RAID?

I'm not sure about that Speedy, in Device Manager/SCSI & Raid Controllers there are two entries:

Intel ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R PCH SATA RAID Controller

and

JMicron JMB36X Controller

I'm a bit surprised though, I went into Disk Management and this is what I saw: Disk 0 596GB Disk 1 596GB, but I had expected to see four disks.

Disk 0 would then be the OS and program disk pair, and it follows then that Disk 1 is the 'Data' RAID pair because it refers to the D partition (or logical drive, not sure which it is, I seem to recall I had to use a mix of partitions and logical drives when I set it up).

So, the second disk on each RAID system does not show up, though I know they are there of course. I've poked around a little further to see if I could find them but since they are acting as single disks they seem to be viewed as one piece of hardware.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused: