PDA

View Full Version : Connect two computers by wireless

Thomas01
19-05-2010, 11:01 AM
I have got some advice - I should use my tiny SONY Vaio (not one of the latest models) as my main computer for a while as we are considering a move and my existing MASSIVE desktop is too large to go with us.

I have a modem attached to the desktop so I can use the Sony with a DSE flash wireless card and get onto the internet with it.

I'm OK so far and I have been using another flash card (as a carrier) to transfer files from desktop to laptop (OK it seems a clumsy method!).

I could use a direct wire but my experience of trying to set up that sort of network leads to unmitigated disasters - I want to avoid that route.

I feel it should be possible to copy files from desktop to laptop via wireless, without major changes to my setup. After all if I can download files from the internet to the laptop then surely I should be able to download files from my desktop to laptop.
Probably everybody else can do this. I do not know how to.
Tom

Speedy Gonzales
19-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Do you know how to setup a wired network?? If you do, you do the same with wireless. Except you have to enable wireless in the router, secure it with WPA/WPA2, give it a key. And do the same with the wireless adapters, on the other PC's. And if youre using any firewalls (besides windows), you have to configure it. What unmitigated disasters do you have with wired?? It's easier than wireless, and its more secure

MushHead
19-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Fundamentally, what you want to do is exactly if you had a direct wired ethernet connection anyway. You already have wireless set up for the laptop & (I'm assuming) wired for the desktop via your modem (I'm guessing what you actually have is a wireless router/modem - usually with 4 ethernet ports, WiFi & ADSL built in).

In that case you're already set up to talk between the two PC's, it's just a matter of configuring your firewall/sharing settings on them both to allow it.

If you could just clarify what OS your machines are running & what (if any) firewall software you're using, it would make it easier to point you in the right direction.

Nomad
19-05-2010, 04:06 PM
You can use either. Wireless if you have a router that is. Or you could go for adhoc mode which is less secure, it should have security - I think. Not sure cos I haven't used adhoc before.

Wired would be faster. Esp transferring files. I was told that in normal conditions wireless might perform 10% of their stated speeds. If any one can confirm that will be great.

With a router - you go into the setup of it and enable wireless you note the SSID and the password or enable it that you should. I think routers might have it disabled cos it's more marketing - out of the box, any non IT people can get it going but not secure. On the laptop you normally survey the scene and once your SSID pops up, double click and eneter password and you should be in. Provided of course you have shared folders on the PC and provided the right permissions. That's the crut of the issue here, if wired networking was fussy, wireless is just as fussy. On wireless you may get connection issues too, haha, try changing the channels via setup of the router. It might be slower etc etc.

SurferJoe46
19-05-2010, 07:11 PM
I wish I could help - I got mine to work with three puters, two WNR1000 modules and a WNR111N USB thingy.

Don't ask how as the guy who services my WIFI says it won't work my way.

Hah! I told him I'm a Linux expert and this wireless stuff was just too easy for me!!! !

He wants to hire me to work on his Linux SUSE servers.

I start next week. Now I gotta find that training video fast!:eek:

Thomas01
20-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestions chaps.
I had a feeling it would not be simple.
Speedy you ask what problems I had with setting up a network.
Well I followed all the instructions to the letter and used Windows help & wizard etc but never managed to get a network up and running - I don't know why.
But eventually a technician managed it for me - his methods seem completely different to the Windows Wizard, but worked.

I really do not want to go through the same hassle with the laptop I am using now but in any case I think I am doing the wrong thing.
I intended to just copy all my programs down from one computer to the other - but of course some will not work just doing that - they need correct installing.
Then some programs are probably unused for ages.
I checked the program folder and was shocked at the amount of garbage I am carrying - a huge dumping is called for before I even think of copying anything to my laptop. In that case my flash card will easily carry what is left.
There is really no need for my to organize a network - I must just get down to some clearing up then copy what I really need.
Tom

Speedy Gonzales
20-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Well I followed all the instructions to the letter and used Windows help & wizard etc but never managed to get a network up and running - I don't know why.

If you mean the Network Wizard, (in XP) dont use it, its hopeless. It DOESN'T work. You're not the only person who would have come across this prob. Do it manually. Its easier and takes less than 5 mins. WHAT versions of windows are you trying to network?

Thomas01
20-05-2010, 02:54 PM
If you mean the Network Wizard, (in XP) dont use it, its hopeless. It DOESN'T work. You're not the only person who would have come across this prob. Do it manually. Its easier and takes less than 5 mins. WHAT versions of windows are you trying to network?

Both computers are XP

Nomad
20-05-2010, 02:56 PM
I normally right click a folder or drive and choose properties, enable sharing, read or read and write access.

that's about it. ensure also you have the services and protocols installed under network properties. so yeah some pple can find it a headache. then you need to same login names on both pcs cos that is how peer to peer networking works. if you had a workplace with real servers, you can install the login names on a server and not need to worry having all your logins on each every computer.

or like us, you can login into the other computer using someone else's login :p
configure firewall - just uninstall that thing. :D

Speedy Gonzales
20-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Speaking of protocols, you only need the default ones in 2k (client for MS networks, File and printer sharing, and Internet protocol (TCP/IP). You dont need the others

Thomas01
21-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Taking note of what has been written has made me really think about what I am doing.
Speedy you have made me more determined to try again and get connected by cable not wireless. I am glad to be told that I am not the only person who got into trouble with the Windows Wizard.

The trouble is I get lost when people start talking protocols etc.
Watch out for black smoke over Christchurch - it probably means I have once again blown it.
Tom

Speedy Gonzales
21-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Dont worry about protocols. You DONT have to add any to whats already there

You can either leave it on automatic or give each PC an ip. (under the LAN properties / TCP/IP entry). This is the only thing you change. If you change this option, get your ISP DNS server ips, or use Google's. So, you'll get on the net

Put them all on the same workgroup. If its XP Pro, to save you mucking around with passwords, go to tools / file options / view in my computer and change it to simple file sharing. Then create and share a folder (DON'T share all of C - the main OS hdd).

If you're using a firewall (besides windows firewall), you'll have to configure it. So, the PC's can share / talk to each other. Thats all you have to do

Nomad
21-05-2010, 02:13 PM
No protocols required. But for wireless I had to reinstall AGEIS for WPA encryption for my WIFI card.

I know some people prefer manual IP, from what I know auto IP is the way to go generally and from a professional point of view they are just practically easier for the workplace.