PDA

View Full Version : i5-750 - is HeatSinkCompound required?

BBCmicro
19-05-2010, 10:11 AM
My new desktop parts arrived today. CPU has the stock Intel HeatSinkFan but no heat sink compound. The instructions which are in picture form only don't show the application of any heat sink compound. The bottom of the HSF is copper with 3 grey pads standing a little proud and having a mottled texture. The pads are not sticky and they don't look as if they are meant to be peeled off (and the instructions don't show that). There are no warning about touching the grey pads.

The Gigabyte mobo doesn't include any compound either, but its instructions say to use some.

My gut feeling is that if Intel don't mention heat sink compound then none is required. Intel are quite detailed in their instructions (including re-setting the HSF mounting lugs if you take it off the CPU for any reason). (I presume Gigabyte mention the compound because they don't know what sort of HSF will be used)

Should I go out in the pouring Wellington rain to get some?

wratterus
19-05-2010, 10:18 AM
The grey pads are the thermal transfer paste, but if you've touched them then you should clean it off and get some more, the oil on skin stuffs it up.

BBCmicro
19-05-2010, 10:30 AM
No I haven't touched them. I looked at them through a high power magnifying glass. Judging by the fibres around the edges, the pads seem to be a sort of fabric

Thanks

wainuitech
19-05-2010, 10:34 AM
What happens is the CPU Cooler is attached, the "Grey pads" will spread out as soon as the CPU warms up a little covering the whole surface.

BBCmicro
19-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Technology!

(I presume Intel wants to avoid people putting the HS compound between the CPU and the LGA pads...)

pctek
19-05-2010, 03:11 PM
You just place it on and press the clippy things down and sit back and enjoy........

trinsic
19-05-2010, 05:44 PM
You can use your own but the stuff on their is adequate. AMD does the same and have done for years.