PDA

View Full Version : Log On Password

Kaycee
19-05-2010, 07:38 AM
Yes, this is a taboo subject, but I have to ask from those who have way more knowledge than me.

My girlfriends husband passed away suddenly last week and his laptop containing all their financial data, photos etc is unable to be accessed. As she had no interest in using the laptop she never inquired as to what the password was.

Is this achievable and could some one tell me if there is anyone in the Wellington area that could help.

Many thanks

Have a great day

wainuitech
19-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Whats the OS ?

If XP, simply start the PC in safe mode - select the admin account, as long as thats not passworded once loaded go to user accounts in the control panel, locate the account - remove password ( doesn't have to be known) reboot as normal -- no password will be asked for.

XP's real safe :rolleyes:

If its Vista or W7 -- then its a little harder, but still easy with the right software.

pctek
19-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Wainuitech is in Wellington - look up Commend Computers, if you can't get into it, he'll help you out.

WarNox
19-05-2010, 11:09 AM
The easy way which usually works is to boot into safe mode, press F8 as the computer is restarting and select safe mode. In there there will be an Administrator account which is more often than not accessible without a password. Log in with that account and change the password for the account which you need access to.

If that doesn't work there are bootable CD's which can accomplish what you need but Google will help you out with that :D

---

oops full should've read the above post :s

KarameaDave
19-05-2010, 11:12 AM
http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

nedkelly
19-05-2010, 11:17 AM
I was trying to remember this program last night and could not think of the name of it.
+1 for dave's suggestion.

Kaycee
19-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Thank you so much guys, you are awesome. Will be heading to Welly for the memorial service tomorrow so I will give it a go. If I fail .... Ill give Wainui (I hope you dont mind) a call. And yes, it is an XP machine - I think. (tongue in cheek) :)