PDA

View Full Version : new pc build help

gum digger
18-05-2010, 06:50 PM
thinking of putting together a pc box for home. from experience i have realised choosing the right cpu and motherboard is very important as cpu is generally the most expensive part of the setup hence needs to be carefully picked, i tend to belive in the latest and greatest but not pay rediculous price. motherboard is also as important since cheap ones can die quickly because the life on the capacitors and cheap ref cercuitry. so i want your help to choose which processor to get from the latest intel family, (pref i7 but open for suggestions) been looking at intel i7 960.

I am really stuck with motherboards. i dont know which brand to go for because id really like one that will last atleast 5 years or so. also which chipset is the best?. i dont think ill ever do sli or crossfire.

i use my computer atleast 6 hours a day and its on 24/7. i only play 1 or 2 sports games thats about it for gaming. but it can be used for things like video conversion, hd playback, may go into bluray ripping in future once its cheaply available. word/pdf processing ( may have 10 docx/pdf open at a time). heavly multitasking.

please suggest me a cpu and motherboard which will best suit my description.

thanks alot.

btw its a 2k budget. i already have a silverstone case, so the budget is for cpu, mobo, graphic card, 1tb hdd. psu, memory

gary67
18-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Asus or gigabyte motherboards I personally prefer Asus but the techs on here often go for gigabyte as well

qazwsxokmijn
18-05-2010, 08:34 PM
There is absolutely no need to go for any i7 CPUs higher than 920/930. The 920/930 are already highly overclockable by themselves, and will easily surpass even a $1500 975 when overclocked over 3.33GHz (which the 920/930 can easily do). All you need is a $130 aftermarket cooler and you'll even be able to OC it to around 4GHz.

Motherboard - go for Asus or Gigabyte for best value. Can't go wrong with either. Asus P6T or Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R are great budget level X58 motherboards at around $350. Since you don't really play games a Radeon 5770 at around $260 should suffice.

A 6GB DDR3 1600 kit can be had for around $300. Any brand will do really, most on the market are good stuff - OCZ, GSkill, Corsair, Kingston etc.

I would get a 650W Corsair or Antec for your build. Think they're just over $200.

gum digger
19-05-2010, 12:20 AM
There is absolutely no need to go for any i7 CPUs higher than 920/930. The 920/930 are already highly overclockable by themselves, and will easily surpass even a $1500 975 when overclocked over 3.33GHz (which the 920/930 can easily do). All you need is a $130 aftermarket cooler and you'll even be able to OC it to around 4GHz.

Motherboard - go for Asus or Gigabyte for best value. Can't go wrong with either. Asus P6T or Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R are great budget level X58 motherboards at around $350. Since you don't really play games a Radeon 5770 at around $260 should suffice.

A 6GB DDR3 1600 kit can be had for around $300. Any brand will do really, most on the market are good stuff - OCZ, GSkill, Corsair, Kingston etc.

I would get a 650W Corsair or Antec for your build. Think they're just over $200.
is there any i5 close to the i7 spec

Thebananamonkey
19-05-2010, 12:33 AM
If you use programs that can make use of multiple cores, I'd go with a hexacore AMD. No need for much in the way of graphics. If you're only lightly gaming a 5770/5750 should do the trick. You could put whole lot together for not much over a grand, most likely.

I often have 10+ word docs open at work with my Pentium 4 at work. Video encoding and blu-ray ripping will definitely benifit from higher clocks and, to a lesser extent, from more cores.

Capacitors aren't as much of an issue as they used to be, so I wouldn't worry about getting less from a cheap motherboard. All you'll lose are "extra" features that you're not likely to use. 21 PCI-E x 128 ports, 512 channel surround sound and USB7.1 aren't really worth the extra cash for the average joe, IMO. Whatever you do though, don't try and save money on non-name brand PSU's.

The amount of time your computer is on with you using it is neither here nor there.

pctek
19-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Capacitors aren't as much of an issue as they used to be, so I wouldn't worry about getting less from a cheap motherboard. All you'll lose are "extra" features that you're not likely to use. 21 PCI-E x 128 ports, 512 channel surround sound and USB7.1 aren't really worth the extra cash for the average joe, IMO.

I'd stick with ASUS or Gigabyte. They have a range - mATX, minimal features right up to full ATX with all features, so you can choose according to budget and needs, but stick with the good brands.

Wok
19-05-2010, 10:05 AM
$2K budget will get you a lot these days.
I would go for the i5 750 as it is very similar to the i7 920 on performance and cheaper too.
using the 1156 chipset from either asus or gigabyte motherboards will also save you money instead of going for the more expensive P58 chipsets.
you can then spend the money on Graphics and storage.
Radeon 5series graphics cards have eyefinity which will enable to you connect 3 monitors simultaneously (3 monitor wide screen, how cool would that be?)

Well thats my opinion anyway.

gum digger
19-05-2010, 10:22 AM
$2K budget will get you a lot these days.
I would go for the i5 750 as it is very similar to the i7 920 on performance and cheaper too.
using the 1156 chipset from either asus or gigabyte motherboards will also save you money instead of going for the more expensive P58 chipsets.
you can then spend the money on Graphics and storage.
Radeon 5series graphics cards have eyefinity which will enable to you connect 3 monitors simultaneously (3 monitor wide screen, how cool would that be?)

Well thats my opinion anyway.

only concern of going with i5 is that its socket 1156, it wont be future proof. as this socket will be discontinued very soon.

gum digger
19-05-2010, 10:25 AM
If you use programs that can make use of multiple cores, I'd go with a hexacore AMD. No need for much in the way of graphics. If you're only lightly gaming a 5770/5750 should do the trick. You could put whole lot together for not much over a grand, most likely.

I often have 10+ word docs open at work with my Pentium 4 at work. Video encoding and blu-ray ripping will definitely benifit from higher clocks and, to a lesser extent, from more cores.

Capacitors aren't as much of an issue as they used to be, so I wouldn't worry about getting less from a cheap motherboard. All you'll lose are "extra" features that you're not likely to use. 21 PCI-E x 128 ports, 512 channel surround sound and USB7.1 aren't really worth the extra cash for the average joe, IMO. Whatever you do though, don't try and save money on non-name brand PSU's.

The amount of time your computer is on with you using it is neither here nor there.

usb7.1 lmao. yeh no way i will go for non-branded psu. ill prob get antec, corsair

Battleneter2
19-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Id look at this

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=11795

and this

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=11830

Save yourself $400 by grabbing the 930 Processor and do a VERY modest overclock to 3.2Ghz you can do with your eyes closed. The 930 wont even blink at 3.2Ghz it will say stuff like "Is that all you got, bring it!!"

Shop around for prices of course.

Thebananamonkey
19-05-2010, 01:27 PM
I know that most here are Intel fanboys but, dare I suggest it, you'll save yourself a LOT of money if you decide to go down the AMD route. Their highest price consumer processor is around $350 and it only goes down from there. Their motherboards tend to be cheaper too.

It you're not going to be doing anything special like massive OC's or multiple graphics cards then a $350 motherboard is overkill.

Instead of thinking of what you want, think of what your needs are. Bleeding edge doesn't get you where it used to. Parallel programming isn't as common as it should be so spending more money isn't necessarily going to get you performance.

I'd spend a little now with a mind to spending a little again in a year and a half to two years. Don't worry about future proofing.

Thebananamonkey
19-05-2010, 02:37 PM
If you're hellbent on spending $2k on a computer, here's a nice guide from Anandtech with both an AMD and an Intel build.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3723/system-buyers-guide-1700-performance-midrange/1

legod
19-05-2010, 02:54 PM
I just built my first pc.
I went for a good quality case and PSU - otherwise pretty basic components.
Main reasons I chose the motherboard were because it had HDMI and integrated graphics.
Pretty quiet system - perfect for everyday usage.

CPU: AMD AthlonX2 DC 250 3.0GHz ($107)
Mobo: Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H 785G ($145)
Case: Lian Li A05N-B ($188)
PSU: Corsair CX 400W ($99)
DDR2 RAM: Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5 2GB ($88)

Already had SATA HDD, monitor, keyboard etc, so total cost all up was $627.

Battleneter2
19-05-2010, 06:52 PM
I know that most here are Intel fanboys but,\

Can people stop the "Fanboy" crap, I for example have owned AMD in the past and still have a AMD rig in the house.

No probs suggesting AMD, personally Id love AMD to outperform Intel's best but at the moments its just not reality.

gum digger
21-05-2010, 11:41 AM
thanks for the suggestions everyone, im going for i7 930 but i need a cooler that will do the job. which do u suggest? dont want to spend a alot of money.

Agent_24
21-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Capacitors aren't as much of an issue as they used to be, so I wouldn't worry about getting less from a cheap motherboard.

That's not true. The cheap boards now are still just as useless as they were 10 years ago. If you don't believe that, check out www.badcaps.net

I personally would go for MSI, Gigabyte or Asus

gum digger
21-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Id look at this

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=11795

and this

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=11830

Save yourself $400 by grabbing the 930 Processor and do a VERY modest overclock to 3.2Ghz you can do with your eyes closed. The 930 wont even blink at 3.2Ghz it will say stuff like "Is that all you got, bring it!!"

Shop around for prices of course.

seems like you got i7 920 which cooler do u use

Thebananamonkey
21-05-2010, 08:51 PM

Are you planning on Overclocking?

No ---> Intel Stock Heatsink

Yes --> Prolimatech Megahalems

gum digger
22-05-2010, 12:21 AM
Are you planning on Overclocking?

No ---> Intel Stock Heatsink

Yes --> Prolimatech Megahalems

what about zalman cnps9700 its only $55 bucks
http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=FANZAL12722

prolimatech is expensive, is it worth it?

goodiesguy
22-05-2010, 12:33 AM
+1 for AMD, i like amd

Battleneter2
22-05-2010, 01:08 PM

Prolimatech Megashadow 2x120mm low speed fans (need a couple of fans also add about 20 bucks)
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=9794
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/prolimatech_megahalem_review/3
http://pcper.com/article.php?aid=771&type=expert&pid=5

I picked this due to the massive heat sink and the ability to attach large 120mm fans (next to no noise).

There are cheaper options, but smaller heat sink and fan means higher fan speed to disperse equivalent heat which of course is more noise.

The stock Intel fan is fine if your not overclocking