PDA

View Full Version : monitor difficulties

hammer
18-05-2010, 01:13 PM
friends dell sp2309w was brought seperately from her pc and now the pc keeps crashing after a while.

it is telling me to change import timing on the monitor but i cant find where i should go to do this.

the propeties on the monitor dont give any options.

i have changed all the settings i can find back to factory default.

ideas?

wratterus
18-05-2010, 01:16 PM
You sure it's the monitor causing the trouble not the PC?

hammer
18-05-2010, 01:28 PM
no i am not sure of anything..just that was a notice i got after it crashed

pctek
18-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Unlikely to be the monitor. Troubleshoot the PC

SolMiester
18-05-2010, 01:47 PM
The PC is probably running the monitor out of resolution....but that wont cause system crashes..

hammer
18-05-2010, 02:49 PM
dont really know where to start.
seems to run fine for quite a while (hours)

all drivers are up to date.

no virus,trojans etc.

running win7 if that means anything.

must of just installed windows drivers cos there isnt a dell monitor control set up anywhere.

SolMiester
18-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Is the back of the PC hot when it crashes?

hammer
18-05-2010, 05:24 PM
solmiester; No

-

hammer
18-05-2010, 06:09 PM
still getting this message

'the current input timing is not supported by the monitor display
please change your input timing to 2048 x 1152 @60 Hz or any other
monitor listed timing as per the monitor specifications,'

hammer
18-05-2010, 07:30 PM
i am so over this pc... i have spent so much time on it and still got nothing happening.
have decided to just wipe win7 and run xp pro on it.

but here we go...

it wont load the xp install cd..

yes i have changed the boot sequence.

it has at present one partition with win 7 on it...

i didnt want to have to make new partitions or anything just wanted a straight swap back to xp

by the way this is a new pc with all installled by seller programs

wainuitech
18-05-2010, 07:35 PM
still getting this message

'the current input timing is not supported by the monitor display
please change your input timing to 2048 x 1152 @60 Hz or any other
monitor listed timing as per the monitor specifications,' Did you change it to the settings?

Depending on the Graphic Card/Onboard Graphics on the PC, it may not be able to adjust to the settings the monitor wants. I have seen this many times esp on older PC's -- attach a LCD to them and all hell breaks lose, attach an older CRT and sweet as.

Speedy Gonzales
18-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Is it a SATA hdd?? If it is, (and if XP's setup cant see the hdd), its because AHCI is enabled in the BIOS. You need to disable it, so XP will install. Or slipstream the SATA drivers. Or extract the SATA drivers to a floppy. Then press F6, when you go to install XP

Sweep
18-05-2010, 08:03 PM
And you're doing this on a friends PC?

hammer
18-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Did you change it to the settings?

Depending on the Graphic Card/Onboard Graphics on the PC, it may not be able to adjust to the settings the monitor wants. I have seen this many times esp on older PC's -- attach a LCD to them and all hell breaks lose, attach an older CRT and sweet as.

my original question was ..How do i change the input timing settings... i have found nowhere to do this???????

graphics card is ati radeon HD5700
direct x 10

i have the monitor settings on the recommended settings.

hammer
18-05-2010, 08:05 PM
And you're doing this on a friends PC?

yes

hammer
18-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Is it a SATA hdd?? If it is, (and if XP's setup cant see the hdd), its because AHCI is enabled in the BIOS. You need to disable it, so XP will install. Or slipstream the SATA drivers. Or extract the SATA drivers to a floppy. Then press F6, when you go to install XP

IDE ATA/ATAPI

Sweep
18-05-2010, 08:15 PM
my original question was ..How do i change the input timing settings... i have found nowhere to do this???????

graphics card is ati radeon HD5700
direct x 10

i have the monitor settings on the recommended settings.

If you are still running Win 7 then right click anywhere on the desktop, click personalize, display, adjust resolution and also see advanced which can change the Hz value.

I'm surprised that you friend will have a Win 7 licence then want to go back to XP.

hammer
18-05-2010, 08:25 PM
yeah those setttings are all as recommended. but is that the same as input timing.?

she likes the look of win7 but pretty is no good if it crashes all the time.

Sweep
18-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Input timing is the Hz value and I don't believe that's why it's crashing as mentioned earlier. Do you get a BSOD when it crashes? Define crash. If a BSOD is a file name mentioned?

wainuitech
18-05-2010, 08:41 PM
I use nVidia, not ATI -- BUT under the advanced settings, / troubleshooting/ Does it have the option to adjust ( mines grayed out) Example (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Card.jpg).

What you can also look at - click start, type in reliability ( you should only get to reli) then in the search results up top, click on " view Reliability history"

It takes a moment to load, but once loaded, where it crashed there should be a red circle with a X in it, select it, and look to see whats crashed, (what is it if its mentioned) there may be on the right a link to check for solutions - click that and see if anything helpful is given.

hammer
18-05-2010, 08:42 PM
screen goes fuzzy and shuts down

every fourth time it gets a blue screen with writing on but it goes too fast to read anything
havent sween BSOD

hammer
18-05-2010, 08:47 PM
I use nVidia, not ATI -- BUT under the advanced settings, / troubleshooting/ Does it have the option to adjust ( mines grayed out) Example (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Card.jpg).

What you can also look at - click start, type in reliability ( you should only get to reli) then in the search results up top, click on " view Reliability history"

It takes a moment to load, but once loaded, where it crashed there should be a red circle with a X in it, select it, and look to see whats crashed, (what is it if its mentioned) there may be on the right a link to check for solutions - click that and see if anything helpful is given.

no there is no option to adjust(grayed out)

reliability history just says windows shut down unexpectedly

nothing i can learn anything from

Speedy Gonzales
18-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Here's the same prob (http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19282657.aspx) with the same monitor.

Sweep
18-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Go to controlpanel, system, advanced and turn off auto restart.

wainuitech
18-05-2010, 08:54 PM
On the link Speedy posted - a bit further down it says
Open the Ati Catalyst Control Center- Digital Panel Properties- Attributes and enable "Scale image to full panel size". This fixed one persons problem - but not others.

Speedy Gonzales
18-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Looks like that option isn't in the same place in 10.4 If you're using 10.4 of the drivers, bring up CCC / go to desktops and displays in the menu. Click on the monitor down the bottom on the left / right mouse configure

hammer
18-05-2010, 09:46 PM
23# yeah same here dvi single supplied but outlet dvi dual. do you reckon i should give it a go to change it? wouldnt cost much.

24# done

25# no option for tat in my Ati CCC

26# Ah haaa! yep thanks . but it is also grayed out but the scale to full panel size is ticked below the graying.

i have also gone and changed every program we have added (mostly ones from older pc's ) to compatability with xp sp3 and to be run as administrator every time .

havent crashed for a while so i am now off to have a big plate of icecream with a double esspresso poured over it. yummm. while i wait for next crash ( or not).

'trying to make the hammer bigger. sic'

thanks guys . really appreciate your help..

Speedy Gonzales
18-05-2010, 09:51 PM
What version of the ATI drivers are installed? 10.4? It maybe the cable youre using why some of the options are greyed out?

This is what mine looks like. Are the monitor drivers installed as well?

hammer
18-05-2010, 10:02 PM
win7 video drivers

Speedy Gonzales
18-05-2010, 10:06 PM
So, youre using the default Win7 video driver? If you are, install the ATI 32 bit (http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=win7/windows-7-32bit). Or 64 bit drivers (http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=win7/windows-7-64bit). Depending on which version of Win7 you've installed

hammer
18-05-2010, 10:23 PM
30# done . will advise how it runs

Paul.Cov
19-05-2010, 07:34 AM
Are we confusing error messages from the monitor with error messages from the computer?

I suspect the "input settings out of range" message is from the monitor.
It either means the monitor can't handle these "recommended" settings (and there's certainly no harm in using lower settings). However, a crash after 4 such messages to me suggests your computer hardware is a bit dodgy, and may be struggling to accurately hold those 'recommended' settings.

Even though you do not report heat to be an issue, it could still very easily be the case that the IC for the graphics is not coping and is overheating.

I would start by going to a slightly lower screen resolution. The 60Hz is unlikely to be the issue, but the number of dots that poor machine is having to process in every screen draw could be the heart of the problem.

Also, you mentioned it was a dual DVI. Are the settings you are playing with actually affecting that monitor, or are you configuring the other DVI output slot by accident?

Heh, most crazy example I've struck of monitor messages being confused with computer messages was when I got called around to fix a computer which was displaying "check monitor cable". Turns out the monitor was on, and the computer was turned off! Pressed the power button and all was fixed! Was hard to keep a straight face on that one!