johcar
18-05-2010, 12:49 PM
What channel is it on Ken?

AvonBill
18-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Prime - Sunday 9.40pm

johcar
18-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Ta. That's a bugger - I'm boycotting Prime...

kenj
18-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Ta. That's a bugger - I'm boycotting Prime...

Gotta make an exception for this one ;)

Ken

SolMiester
18-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Doesnt do anything for me...I like that ''Come dine with me'', the celebrity one almost had me pissing myself!

Roscoe
18-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Only the Poms can do a TV show like that. Really good stuff. Follows another good Pommy show about the Pythons.:lol:

KarameaDave
18-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Q.I. is our favourite at the moment too!
Funny as a piece of string.

gary67
18-05-2010, 08:31 PM
All the best comedy is English. American comedy is fine for 5 year olds but nobody older, my faves at the moment are QI and 7 days from here both very funny in different ways. Why are you boycotting Prime Johcar? Surely it would be better to just boycott American programs

TideMan
18-05-2010, 08:37 PM
I find most of the guests on QI pretty ordinary.
Stephen Fry by himself would be better.
Or if he needed someone else, Hugh Laurie (Dr House).

gary67
18-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Hugh Laurie as himself yes as Dr House yuck I hate that character

TideMan
18-05-2010, 08:55 PM
How about Hugh Laurie as the Lord xxx (can't remember his name) in Blackadder the Fourth?

TideMan
18-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Lt. George C. St Barleigh

gary67
18-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Yes very funny in all the Blackadders that he was in, which I think was all of them

johcar
18-05-2010, 09:59 PM
All the best comedy is English. American comedy is fine for 5 year olds but nobody older, my faves at the moment are QI and 7 days from here both very funny in different ways. Why are you boycotting Prime Johcar? Surely it would be better to just boycott American programs

Prime is being boycotted in this household because Sky won't provide an EPG for TiVo - and I use the EPG to navigate and choose what we will watch.

So if you're an advertiser on Prime, your money is wasted on this household! :)

gary67
19-05-2010, 07:24 AM
fair enough

Roscoe
19-05-2010, 09:59 AM
All the best comedy is English. American comedy is fine for 5 year olds but nobody older

I really think that you mean that American (so called) comedy is at the level of a five year old. I do not think that it is fine for 5 year olds. If they watch that rubbish they will grow up not appreciating clever comedy and many will not graduate to the a higher level where you need to think (for more than a second) about what you just heard.

Thankfully there are still a few programme buyers that purchase British programmes, but it would be a vast improvement if we were to have some home grown comedies as well.:lol:

Tony
19-05-2010, 10:06 AM
I really looked forward to QI - I'd heard about it and it seemed it was going to be the best of UK TV. I've been a bit disappointed. It is really just a vehicle for showing off Stephen Fry's erudition, with a few one-liners thrown in by the guests. I do still enjoy it, but it isn't quite the show I'd been expecting.

I do have a spin-off book, the QI Book Of Banter - which is the best dictionary of quotations I've have seen. It is a wonderful mix of the amazingly funny to the quite profound, with stuff ranging from the ancient Greeks to modern times. Recommended for anyone who has to write articles or make speeches, or is just interested in the wit and wisom of the ages.

johcar
19-05-2010, 10:29 AM
@ Roscoe: we do have a home-grown comedy. It plays every weeknight at 7pm on TV2 - a real joke! :)

Roscoe
19-05-2010, 01:56 PM
@ Roscoe: we do have a home-grown comedy. It plays every weeknight at 7pm on TV2 - a real joke! :)

I gather from your comments that you are not a fan. Neither am I, but it is, at least, a NewZealand joke.

What we really need, on radio as well as television, is a quota system so that NZ programmes have to be heard and shown. Granted, there will be a load of kiwi rubbish but things will improve if the Australian example is anything to go by.

I was in Sydney in the mid sixties and the local quota served up much Australian rubbish but the programmes improved with time and now they have some fairly good locally made programmes. Surely that would happen here? A quota system has only been talked about, unfortunately.

It would be nice to have some programmes that reflected the NZ way of life.

Metla
19-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Aussie TV is worse then Kiwi TV.

johcar
19-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Good idea - the quota system on radio did wonders for Kiwi music - we have got some amazing bands and music since Kiwi music quotas were required. The weird thing was it wasn't an onerous requirement for the radio stations - many were already playing a good percentage of Kiwi music, they just had to increase it a wee bit.

I'm sure the same would happen for TV - so long as it wasn't concentrated on crappy reality-based shows (or crappy soaps like Shortland Street)... :( :groan:

Metla
19-05-2010, 02:08 PM
You have got to be kidding, The Kiwi music industry is a sad joke.

Roscoe
19-05-2010, 02:32 PM
You have got to be kidding, The Kiwi music industry is a sad joke.

But at least we have a Kiwi music industry. I would rather listen to our own "sad" efforts than foreign rubbish.

I'm sure the same would happen for TV - so long as it wasn't concentrated on crappy reality-based shows (or crappy soaps like Shortland Street)... :( :groan:

I'm quite sure that is what would happen initially, but the shows that did not rate would be discarded and the better stuff would survive and improve over time. It's a shame that the quota system has not been initiated. I'm certain it would be a big advantage to all the viewers and to what is jokingly called TVNZ.

Metla
19-05-2010, 02:38 PM
But at least we have a Kiwi music industry. I would rather listen to our own sad efforts than foreign rubbish.

The problem is that what gets hailed as great Kiwi music is just a bad attempt at generic American rubbish.

Op shop, Feelers, Anikia Moa, Shihad, Smashproof and all the rest of the crap that the industry rewards is just utter piffle, and thats all it aspires to be.

There must be better artists out their worthy of accolade from the music industry.

Metla
19-05-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm quite sure that is what would happen initially, but the shows that did not rate would be discarded and the better stuff would survive and improve over time.

Ratings based selection does not equal quality television.

Roscoe
19-05-2010, 02:54 PM
The problem is that what gets hailed as great Kiwi music is just a bad attempt at generic American rubbish.

It is unfortunate that kiwi singers think that they need to sing with an American style and accent. A kiwi that sang with a kiwi style and accent would be a novelty!

Ratings based selection does not equal quality television.

Very true, but radio and television stations are not necessarily looking for quality. What they require, to stay in business, is popular. Popular does not always equal quality, unfortunately.