PDA

View Full Version : Computer doesn't load.

jonathan
18-05-2010, 07:50 AM
So, my computer was fine. Working properly, etc. We shut it down for the night, but turned it on a few hours later. It stuck on the first loading screen (where it says "press esc for boot menu, f1 for setup etc.). The keyboard is plugged in, but pressing esc and f1 and such doesn't do anything, you get no response.

Compaq Presario,Windows xp, 200 gb Hard drive. 512 ram, 2.2ghz processor.

Thanks!

EDIT: The computer sounds like it is still working, you can hear it humming away.

pctek
18-05-2010, 08:25 AM
Could be anything. Dead RAM, dead HDD, faulty motherboard, faulty PSU.
Disconnect all drives and try again. Can you get the BIOS? If not, it's not PSU.
You need to start troubleshooting parts now.

forrest44
18-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Could be a lot of things, I would start by looking at how old the motherboard is - if its from circa 2001 - 2005 (or even more recent) it could have bulging capacitors (see badcaps.net). Video cards often suffer from this as well.

What brand PSU do you have? a cheap one that isn't a decent brand can often fail, sometimes killing other stuff in your system as well...

Strip out everything, hard drive, CD drive, extra RAM modules, video card if you have integrated graphics, modem, etc... and see if it works (if you can get into CMOS setup program, etc)

If it does work, start adding components one by one until you find which one is faulty.

If it doesn't work, you've likely got a faulty motherboard or PSU.
See if you can get a similar one from a friend or Trademe or another computer and see if it works with your other components.

Anyway, good luck :)

jonathan
19-05-2010, 08:01 AM
The computer actually started up again last night, but now it isn't starting up again. However, the fan sounds like it is working hard out. We hardly ever hear it working this hard, and it doesn't feel hot. Is it possible this is caused by too much dust or something?

forrest44, I have no idea what brand the psu is. However, the computer was bought new about 3 years ago, so that might be how old the psu is.
And my parents wouldn't really like me taking stuff out of the computer.

Speedy Gonzales
19-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Open the case and see if its full of dust. If it is clean it

pctek
19-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Is it possible this is caused by too much dust or something?

forrest44, I have no idea what brand the psu is.

And my parents wouldn't really like me taking stuff out of the computer.

Yes.

Probably a crap one.

Then you'll have to take it to a tech because you need to.

jonathan
19-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Open the case and see if its full of dust. If it is clean it

I did, and although I have seen it working with a lot more dust in it, it is now working. If this is not the problem, does anyone know a good/cheap place in Auckland to fix it?

Speedy Gonzales
19-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Where in Auck are you?

jonathan
19-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Where in Auck are you?

Meadowbank

Speedy Gonzales
19-05-2010, 08:25 PM
If you can bring it to Mt Eden, I could check it out for you sometime

jonathan
19-05-2010, 08:28 PM
k, thanks for the offer. if it crashes I'll bring it over.

Phil B
19-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Inside or outside the walls

Speedy Gonzales
19-05-2010, 11:20 PM
Outside for now. Maybe working inside soon :p Umm, so it goes when it feels like it :lol: Sounds like this bloody camera of mine