PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Security Essentials

globe
17-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Anyone else having trouble updating ? Have been trying for three days now but keeps trying yet failing hence the little icon in the corner of my machine remains orange.

pcuser42
17-05-2010, 09:07 PM
All good here.

Speedy Gonzales
17-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Works fine here, that orange icon means Microsoft Security Essentials tray icon alert that a potential threat is detected but may not be critical. Have you clicked on the icon to see what its saying?

globe
17-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Works fine here, that orange icon means Microsoft Security Essentials tray icon alert that a potential threat is detected but may not be critical. Have you clicked on the icon to see what its saying?

Yes I click on it and it tells me it may be potentially unprotected. Open MSE and hit the big update button that is orange, goes into update mode but then tells me virus and definitions out of date despite doing the download thing for several minutes. Also tells me the definitions were created on 17/5/10 at 9.25am which seems pretty up to date to me.

gary67
17-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Had a spell a while ago where they weren't coming thorough automatically but coming as part of Win update so was having to manually download them. That lasted about a month then it went back to doing them automatically but this only happened in Win7 Not in XP.

Mine says the same 9.25am 17-5-10

Speedy Gonzales
17-05-2010, 09:26 PM
It looks like the icon can go orange if the date/time and / or year are wrong. Are both of these set to the right time and date and is the year the right year?

globe
17-05-2010, 09:35 PM
It looks like the icon can go orange if the date/time and / or year are wrong. Are both of these set to the right time and date and is the year the right year?

the date on my pc was for some reason set to the 27th May rather than the 17th. Have changed this hit the update button but has not seemed to solve the problem. It is telling me definitions have not been updated for at least 7 days. I will try a quick scan now I have changed the date to see if that works (fingers crossed).

Speedy Gonzales
17-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Is the year right as well? Double click on the icon, go to settings / real time protection, disable it (untick the 1st option), then save. Then go back to the same place and tick it again, then save

wainuitech
17-05-2010, 09:45 PM
you can always download them Manually From Here (https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Definitions/ADL.aspx) - latest download and instruction on how to install them.

Maybe something is "Stuck" and manually installing may fix it.

globe
17-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Is the year right as well? Double click on the icon, go to settings / real time protection, disable it (untick the 1st option), then save. Then go back to the same place and tick it again, then save

Yup year is 2010. Followed your advice above and still no luck.

GameJunkie
17-05-2010, 10:14 PM
uninstall/reinstall??

globe
17-05-2010, 10:15 PM
you can always download them Manually From Here (https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Definitions/ADL.aspx) - latest download and instruction on how to install them.

This does not seemed to have worked either. Running out of ideas now. Maybe complete removal and reinstall ?

Speedy Gonzales
17-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Yup uninstall then reinstall it

John H
17-05-2010, 11:04 PM
The orange icon also comes up if a timetabled scan didn't take place (e.g. because the pc was powered down).