PDA

View Full Version : Cannot access e-mail or web pages

Muffin11
17-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Hi, daughter has a HP Pavillion TX1001AU. She has started having trouble going past her home page of Google and now cannot get into her e-mail. She is wireless through NZ Telecom and has also tried it at her University Library with no success. I have gone through her security settings and they match our home PC. Do you think she has picked up a virus and if so how do you fix these things. She is running Sophos which was given to her by the University of Otago.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Speedy Gonzales
17-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Is it with you now?? Post a hijackthis log, from it if you can. Does it have a firewall on it besides windows?

Muffin11
17-05-2010, 08:11 PM
No, It is Dunedin but I can ring her with any requests. Sorry I dont know what you mean by posting a hijackthis log. I am fairly basic when it comes to those type of things. If you tell me how to do it then I can tell you what she says. She has Windows firewall.

Speedy Gonzales
17-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Hijackthis is in my sig, it'll show us whats on her system. You download it install then run it. Click on scan the system and save a log. Copy all (Ctrl_A) press Ctrl-C, to copy then reply to this. Then press Ctrl-V to paste it here. It sounds like something has stuffed up if it doesnt work in 2 places. Has she tried using ethernet, to see if this works?

Muffin11
17-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Just rang her. Said she has tried using ethernet and it wont work with that either. Trouble is she cannot get into this website to download highjackthis

wainuitech
17-05-2010, 09:01 PM
Is the laptop actually showing as being connected ?

If it is, click start - go into the control Panel - Internet options, Connections Tab, LAN settings (down the bottom) - where it says proxy Server, make sure thats not being used, if its ticked Untick it.

IF the Laptop says its connected, click start, (depending on what OS) if XP, click run, type in cmd <Press Enter> When the box opens, type in

ping 66.102.7.104 <press Enter> or ping 203.96.152.4

This will send a packet of information to the address's, does it time out or do you get a reply ?

This is what you get (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Ping.jpg) if the internet is connecting.

The first Address is Google, the second is telstra's servers ( dont worry that you are not with Telstra - they will answer if the connection to the internet is working.)

Safari
17-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Start/Run, type in cmd and click ok
In the command prompt box type the following and press enter
netsh winsock reset catalog
Restart the computer.