PDA

View Full Version : Paging Mobile Phone Geeks Again

B.M.
17-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Further to my previous post on the ďTelstra RortĒ which is still unresolved and has been placed in the hands of Australian Fair Trading, I am still faced with Mobile Internet problems.

As with the Mobile Phone coverage over here, depending where you are, depends who can provide coverage. So far I have found that Telstra, Vodafone, Optus, Virgin and Blink all provide service in different areas and all the USB Modems they provide are locked to their Network.

So what Iím looking for is advice on the best way around this.

My thoughts are a USB Modem / T Stick that is not locked to anything (what is the correct terminology for these gadgets?) that I can simply swap SIM cards in. Hopefully this would let me use it in Aus and NZ.

Iím sure some of you have been faced with the same problem, so I look forward to your advice. :thanks

PS is it possible to use a Mobile Phone connected via the USB port to hook your laptop onto the Net?

johcar
17-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Not sure what the deal is for using T-sticks or Vodems from NZ in Australia (using SIMs from Oz)... Not even sure whether a VF SIM would would in a T-stick here, or a Telecom SIM would work in a Vodem...

But the second question I can answer - it depends. "Tethering" is the use of your mobile phone as a modem. Some phones you can, some phones you need special software - either on the phone or the laptop, some phones you can't at all.

PiscesKiwi
18-05-2010, 03:26 PM
If your complaint isn't resolved with Telstra... contact TIO (Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman) as a last resort.

http://www.tio.com.au/contact.htm

I'm not sure about the TStick either as never used one... I reckon TStick would use the same network as Telstra's network (2100 Mhz and 850 Mhz).

So I'm guessing if you use a Vodafone sim in TStick... it would works only in Metro areas (2100 Mhz) not in rural areas (900 Mhz).

PinoyKiw
18-05-2010, 11:10 PM
BM. I don't think you will get any of the USB Wireless USB Sticks to work outside of Australia.

I have a Telstra one, only because no one else provides any coverage in the area's that I can be at. But long story short, it is locked to Telstra.

I was led to beleive by Vodafone NZ that there USB stick was compatible in Australia but Vodafone in Australia deny that is the case.

Unless you get a roaming plan for the USB Stick, it is pretty much tied into Australia.

That is what I am led to beleive.

I have a Philippine USB Wireless Card as well, not compatible outside of the Philippines. Has a sim card, tried swapping the sim for the Telstra one and wouldn't work.

B.M.
19-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Thanks Guyís, I donít feel so bad about not knowing the answer myself now. :)

Yes, Iíll take the matter up with the TIO if I have no luck with Fair Trading. Interesting thing here is Fair Trading arenít interested if the matter is being actioned by another party, so Iíll have to see what happens there first.

What a bummer not being able to get a T stick that you can just throw a local SIM Card in and youíre away. Wonder what the difference is between that and a Mobile Phone?

PiscesKiwi
19-05-2010, 04:18 PM
I just thought of something... I do remember when I used to be on vodafone NZ.... and I was visiting Australia for a short vacation.

I also did get Vodafone AU sim for cheaper local texting and to be able to use internet on mobile phone. I had to change vodafone NZ IP/APN to vodafone AU IP/APN etc.

So I'm guessing that would be possible for TStick - changing Telecom IP/APN into Telstra IP/APN. Make notes of Telecom settings so that you can change it back when you are in New Zealand.