PDA

View Full Version : Windows 2000 - explorer.exe keeps crashing

Nomad
16-05-2010, 11:37 PM
The laptop is very lean and mean now :p

But .. explorer keeps crashing, like 5x in 10mins if I am opening diff windows and etc. The screen goes blank loses the icon and then pop back on later.

I could do a windows repair with the CD. What would you suggest? Windows and Office is registered so I don't wanna reactivate them. They are 2000 era. Don't wanna fuss with MS if I can help it.

Cheers.

Speedy Gonzales
16-05-2010, 11:39 PM
Does it show the name of a file?? Programs you've installed that add entries to the menu (when you right mouse in my computer) can crash it. Did it crash before, when ZA was installed? Or has it just starting crashing, since you uninstalled ZA? Maybe this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319124) or this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326612). Is SP4 on it??

Nomad
17-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Thanks, the 2nd link may fix it. If I remove IE6, what can we use in MS? :lol: There is FF I know.

I dunno, been a while, could be IE6. We just put up with it. As it's our 2nd computer. I guess IE ties itself to the core of Windows, and we have FF which autostarts upon boot.

When we open windows like My Computer, Windows Exlorer it crashes.

Nah .. it doesn't say a file. Just explorer.exe.

Yes SP4 on it.

Speedy Gonzales
17-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Give me another ID / PW if you want. Its probably something you've installed thats crashing it

Nomad
17-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Looks like it fixed itself. Haven't crashed it today. I heard it went down this morning though.

I didn't have IE6, just IE5 (required for Office 2000). Could of been me uninstalling Zonealarm and I said delete all files in the system folders :p

Keep you posted if it happens again :)

Speedy Gonzales
17-05-2010, 04:27 PM
k cool ! I wouldnt use IE 5 or 6. If this is the only browser you're using. Most sites will probably stop supporting them, sooner or later. And if you go to the windowsupdate site, I think IE 6 has to be installed to check for updates. Otherwise you wont get any

Nomad
17-05-2010, 04:38 PM
We are using Firefox :thumbs:

I like the laptop, it goes and goes, bought it at year 2000. CPU is fine, the RAM can be limiting. 320MB total maybe it has shared video too.

Mind you Windows 2000 support is going to conclude July 2010. Haven't seen a Windows Update for so many moons.

Nah - IE6 not needed for updates afaik.

Speedy Gonzales
17-05-2010, 04:40 PM
I saw the globe thing on the desktop yesterday. So, there was something there. And there were updates this mth, and last mth I think. Well windowsupdate needed IE 6 here on the other PC, when I went there. It wouldnt move unless I updated to IE 6

Nomad
17-05-2010, 05:48 PM
That was just that MS malware checker whatever it is called or counterfeit checker thingy. And, a Outlook Express security fix, don't use OE. :p

PS. MS Malicious software remove tool.

Speedy Gonzales
17-05-2010, 06:06 PM
I would still install all updates, whether you use it or not

Nomad
17-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Yep I do that. Take it while they last :D
July 2010 is Win2k last support date, apparently last year Office2k ended.

Nomad
18-05-2010, 06:34 PM
MS has already pulled the Windows 2000 updates me think despite the 2010 July date.

I haven't recevied new updates for yonks. It's our 2nd computer and I hardly pay attention to the the update balloon. There is a Windows 2000 Update right - that webpage does not load. Within that there is Office 2000 integrated right - that also does not load - after some reading apparently Office 2000 was pulled with 2 months notice last year :D Been trying to get some of the manual updates, been a mission and still is, there are dead links. What have been info has just been deleted. Ie., you cannot download the SP1 anymore that was once available. There is a 3rd party site I think, I think the others are there, crossed fingers that SP3 still on the MS site that appears to be 10 odd MB. SP1 apparently is just a 150Kb which grabs file off the MS site, but that connection is lost. Nor could you download the full download "network deployment" version.

They didn't even leave it there :annoyed: You read one webpage right - under support section you have a link and you click it - it's a dead link.

Speedy Gonzales
18-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Go to the windowsupdate site. Updates havent stopped yet. You dont need SP1 to 3. All you need is SP4 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1001aaf1-749f-49f4-8010-297bd6ca33a0&displaylang=en), which is still around

There's some 2k updates here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/results.aspx?freetext=windows+2000+security+update s&displaylang=en&stype=s_basic). Get the IE 6 ? Sp1 updates as well

I dont think Office 2k had SP4, only SP3. The link for Office 2k SP3 is here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326585) 58 mb

Nomad
18-05-2010, 06:47 PM
I was meaning Office 2000. I have SP4 for Win2k.
Will try that page again but I think with a Wndows 2000 and / or with Office 2000. The page does not open.

Speedy Gonzales
18-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Updates for Office 2000 (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/CD010224971033.aspx)

bluenose
18-05-2010, 07:02 PM
@ Nomad.

Just paid my monthly visit to MS updates and had no problem dowloading 6+ Megs of updates. MS has NOT pulled the plug yet.

bluenose

Nomad
18-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Windows/Office Update does not work. I have Win2k SP4 - great. There is a Windows Update icon on the start menu.

It points to:
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

But it says:
The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. Take the following steps to try solving the problem:
Refresh the page.
In Internet Explorer, delete your Temporary Internet Files by going to the Tools menu and clicking Internet Options.
Close and then re-open Internet Explorer.

If these steps don’t work, try visiting the site later or using the resources provided below.
For self-help options:

Frequently Asked Questions
Find Solutions
Windows Update Newsgroup
For assisted support options:
Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for update-related issues)

Speedy - that link yeah thanks. I have that. Some of those I hope are still working. I have the SP3 Office which is 10 or 20 odd MB that sounds like a full install. SP3 requires SP1 or SP1a to be installed first. That site (and others off MS), only provide the 160Kb installer. The ~50MB file is gone. If you try to run the 160Kb file - it grabs the file off MS servers right - the connection does not work.

I am currently FTP'ing from Hungary.

Nomad
18-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Just found the remaining updates for Win2k :p (manually).

Nomad
18-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Got working by installing IE6. Had IE5. Maybe it was b/c we had IE6 but uninstalled it reverting back to 5.

600 entries manually was a bit difficult :D
Just gotta deal Office. Not bad 3 pages of manual stuff. Provided that download link works.

Speedy Gonzales
18-05-2010, 09:38 PM
In post 8, I said IE6 HAD to be installed if you wanted to use the windowsupdate site (if this is what you mean). The windowsupdate site WONT work with IE 5. I found this out, when I went to the site with IE5 (using 2k).

I HAD all the Office updates on one of the hdds here (till it decided to die). And that was the end of that :lol:

Nomad
18-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Well it did say IE5 on the webpage. Ah .. yeah. At least I didn't had to install SP4 again. I may post something else. Either my DVDRW is acting a bit funny on Win7. Well at least it used to work a week ago on XP. If you go to Device Manager it is not even listed. On "Computer" it;'s not listed but I think it may pop up when it runs a CD right?

2 days ago or yesterday it did read CDs but today didn't read any DVDs.
Hmmm... shouldn't need a driver.

Speedy Gonzales
18-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Nope if it doesnt appear in the BIOS / when you boot up, in device manager, or computer, it'll probably wont play anything either. Is XP on another partition (with Win7)??

Nomad
18-05-2010, 11:05 PM
I'll have a look at it.
XP is on a spare HD. Just tried playing a CD - doesn't work but the drive does open and close.

Maybe check cables, check bios, play with XP.
Is the DVD drive usually listed in device manager? Does it list itself on "Computer" under the hard drives (even when it doesn't have a disc in it)?

I know the USB flash drives don't show up until you plug them in.

Speedy Gonzales
18-05-2010, 11:13 PM
The DVD has to appear in the BIOS , so windows will see it. It has to appear in device manager as well. Or as you found out you cant use it. It appears in computer under devices with removable storage (In windows 7). Does the cd open? If it doesn't, I would open the case, and see if the cable / power are connected

Nomad
19-05-2010, 12:03 PM
It does open, will need to check it out. Maybe boot it up and see ...

Nomad
19-05-2010, 04:11 PM
I popped a Windows DVD in the machine - booted up. Restarted the PC normally and my DVD drive was working again.

Weird.

Before the DVD drive wasn't in Device Manger. Now it is even without a disc. :D I now know it shoudl always be in Device Manager but on "Computer" the drive only pops up when you put a disc in it.

Speedy Gonzales
19-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Sounds like something is stuffed then. The icon for it should also be in computer

Nomad
19-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Just checking again.
If I open Computer.
It is listed if you highlight Computer on the left side or if you just opened Computer.

But on the left side under Computer it says C: D: E: the DVD Drive does not show there. Maybe I was mistaken with that ...

Speedy Gonzales
19-05-2010, 04:41 PM
It should appear on the right hand side when you open computer under the hdds (under devices with removable storage (well it does here). Its either stuffed or youre using some kind of program (like Roxio / maybe daemontools thats stuffing things up, inc the DVD)

Nomad
19-05-2010, 04:50 PM
It's on the right as I just found.
On the left it's not there unless a disc is in.

Speedy Gonzales
19-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Well looks like a few people have the same prob (http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7performance/thread/cfbbdfa9-1583-4d0b-b417-617e3c2ecbac). If it keeps disappearing, it may mean your DVD has an out of date firmware on it. Your system may also need a BIOS update. Or you may have to do one of these (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975270) if it applies. But it does look like the icon for the DVD can disappear from computer (until you put a cd/dvd in it). And it'll work. One thing I havent come across before

Nomad
19-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Thanks for that, more work to do :D

Still hunting for the Office 2k SR1a, that version from Hungary does not work cos it needs English version. Then again MS pulled the 50MB SR1a and gave us a 166KB installer and cut the connection link.

Nomad
21-05-2010, 06:52 PM
I reinstalled Office 2k still didn't work (via control panel next to the repair option). So .. I restored my Ghose file, 1hr of work, it has v little. Service Pack 1 and 3 worked for Office, SP4 installed for Win2k :clap: Wireless working.

I bought the laptop 2001 one year used, now appears the LCD does not work :D If you attach a monitor - it does switch the screen but the LCD itself is just blank. Well it lasted a good 10 years :) Also one of hte two USB 1.1 ports is busted, which is a bit awkward for a mouse and printer. We just replaced the mouse the Microsoft original wheel mouse was unbreakable but the wheel was getting sticky and movement just getting choppy. Had that since 1997/8.

You're right. IE6 is required for Windows Update, which is surprising because Win2k SP4 installs Windows Update but it only has IE5. Maybe the sign of the times ..

Speedy Gonzales
21-05-2010, 07:03 PM
SP4 will probably install the files for windowsupdate, but yup IE 6 / SP1 is a separate install. Since you probably wont be able to get to the WU site since IE 6/ SP1 isnt installed. This is how you get / do it (http://www.broomeman.com/support/wsiedown.html)

Nomad
21-05-2010, 07:45 PM
I have IE6 SP1 now, was on the PC World CD 2003 I think, supports Wink2k/XP :thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
21-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Sweet !