PDA

View Full Version : windows xp freezing at no given time

goodiesguy
16-05-2010, 08:28 PM
ok, im listening to music, browsing internet in firefox, then all of a sudden. everthing frezzes. and i have to reboot my pc. common xp problem? do i need updates?

Sweep
16-05-2010, 08:40 PM
ok, im listening to music, browsing internet in firefox, then all of a sudden. everthing frezzes. and i have to reboot my pc. common xp problem? do i need updates?

How about keeping all related stuff in the one thread?

Have you still got 768 Meg RAM?

I know from the other thread that you are running XP Pro SP3. Is this 32 or 64 bit?

goodiesguy
16-05-2010, 08:49 PM
32 bit, and still 768mb ram. i have had xp going fine on this pc before. i have xp running good on my laptop too which only has 383mb ram

Speedy Gonzales
16-05-2010, 08:51 PM
XP x64 doesnt have SP3 Sweep. Sounds like you've got hardware probs. Since that PC has had probs with every version you've installed. And XP shouldnt have probs yet, you've only just installed it. Well obviously you need updates, even if you install SP3

KarameaDave
16-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Check event viewer, to see what it says, for the time the lock up occurs.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

wainuitech
16-05-2010, 08:55 PM
Did you ever run the memory Check as it was suggested in the past threads.

As Speedy said, "Since that PC has had probs with every version you've installed. And XP shouldnt have probs yet, you've only just installed it "

That would indicate a Hardware problem. (unless you have been putting on dodgy software again)

If its a hardware problem and locking up, the event log mostly wont show any faults - As its locked solid and cant write anything. Rebooting obviously frees it.

Lockups, if hardware can generally be broken down into the following.
Faulty Memory
Faulty Hard Drive
Faulty Connections
Failing Motherboard or Graphic Card

Sweep
16-05-2010, 08:57 PM
And have you done a complete scan with Trojan and Virus detectors etc on any copied data from the other installations?

goodiesguy
16-05-2010, 09:02 PM
i have copied my stuff from my old system hard drive

it was doing it before i copied them tho

Speedy Gonzales
16-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Old stuff like what? I think its time for another mobo. And probably CPU and ram

goodiesguy
16-05-2010, 09:08 PM
well im saving up for upgrades. and was thinking of getting a new mobo. i have to get this thing to last.

i do have a dell dimension 2400 which has a 2.4ghz cpu which is faster than my 1.9ghz in this one. but alas the dell dosent have a agp slot so i cant put my 128mb ati radeon 9600 in it. and i can live with onboard 64mb video ram

Speedy Gonzales
16-05-2010, 09:13 PM
At least if you use the Dell, you'll know (if it doesnt stuff up / have probs) that there's nothing wrong with it

wainuitech
16-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Check the RAM first - Its cheap these days, and if its the problem, a cheap fix as well.

goodiesguy
16-05-2010, 09:19 PM
it wont get past the dell screen. it would have been going by now. and i meant to say i Cant live with 64mb video ram. and i wouldnt be able to use my second monitor. i still recon its just minor issues with my pc. i'll try some other ram.

goodiesguy
16-05-2010, 09:20 PM
no my main pc is not the dell. thats a different pc of mine. my pc is custom build

Sweep
16-05-2010, 09:23 PM
it wont get past the dell screen. it would have been going by now. and i meant to say i Cant live with 64mb video ram. and i wouldnt be able to use my second monitor. i still recon its just minor issues with my pc. i'll try some other ram.

Have you run Memtest yet?

And please try answering the questions.

Also please note that a number of people are trying to help with what you reckon are minor issues.

So you can't get the Dell going either????

goodiesguy
16-05-2010, 09:27 PM
no, i tried it the other day. it just hangs at the dell screen after the white loading bar is loaded. its orginal hard drive is the one that i had in my pc with vista (remeber the black screen issue?). it normally works fine and i had it as my main pc for a while and did me good. i'll try some stuff on this pc (not dell) as i need to keep this pc going. my motherboard is a "KM 400-M2" when i boot up it says the driver date and it says 2003. problem is i cant find newer drivers

Speedy Gonzales
16-05-2010, 09:32 PM
You cant put a hdd (with windows on it) in another system (if it wasnt the PC you installed it on). And expect it to work. It wont.

goodiesguy
16-05-2010, 09:35 PM
ok, thanks. will try when back from skool 2 morrow. and laff all you want. i have counselling 2 morrow. i have it on mondays these past few weeks as im very down and hate myself. i put up with verbal abuse everyday. i dont care about the verbal abuse and just live with it. my counsellar really just cant comprehend how i can stand being at school. i just can.

oops , sorry for splirting out my personal issues

Speedy Gonzales
16-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Is that what you've been doing? Installing windows on different computers, and swapping the hdds? If you have, this is probably why everything keeps stuffing up.

goodiesguy
16-05-2010, 09:44 PM
no. these hard drive were point blank and are in this pc and windows was installed on this. the dell has always had a few issues. i will have to load windows on a hard drive for it

Speedy Gonzales
16-05-2010, 10:11 PM
my motherboard is a "KM 400-M2" when i boot up it says the driver date and it says 2003. problem is i cant find newer drivers

This is probably the BIOS thats on it, not the driver. It looks like there's a revision 1,2 and 3 of this mobo. So, if you decide to update the drivers and the BIOS. You'll have to see what revision of the mobo you've got

If this is your mobo, then it looks like its got a lot of probs (http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/17248/)

goodiesguy
16-05-2010, 10:19 PM
yes that is my mobo

Speedy Gonzales
16-05-2010, 10:46 PM
I hope you've got the drivers for this mobo. Because the site is slow as hell. You'll be waiting forever to get to it

goodiesguy
16-05-2010, 11:23 PM
yeah i do. they are on its disk. i installed them. but they are quite old

wainuitech
16-05-2010, 11:25 PM
I hope you've got the drivers for this mobo. Because the site is slow as hell. Thats the understatement of the year :lol: Its even slower than PF1 on a bad day.

Speedy Gonzales
16-05-2010, 11:33 PM
:lol: I didnt want to spoil the fun / excitement. In case he wanted to get updates :p