PDA

View Full Version : Supermarket Petrol Dockets.

Poppa John
16-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Hi All.

One of ours here in Wanganui is offering 25 cents off a litre if you spend $200.

I dont know what the petrol price is at the moment so I used
$ 1.85c/litre.

So....$1.85 - 25 cents = $1.60.

Assuming 50 litres.

50 x 1.85 = $92.5
50 x 1.60 = $80

A saving of $12.5 on 50 litres. However i only buy $50 at a time.

So...$200 - $12.5 petrol saving = $187.5.

I think that is 6.25% isn't it?

I know every little helps, but is spending $200 to save $12.5 a bargain? PJ. Maths & reasoning all my responsibility.

johcar
16-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Ah. But if you usually spend over $200 on groceries, then it's a win for no effort. However I would prefer cheaper groceries all the time rather than gimmicks...

gary67
16-05-2010, 12:56 PM
91 petrol is currently $1.77 here in Nelson

KenESmith
16-05-2010, 12:58 PM
There is no such thing as a free meal in this world - somebody pays - usually the consumer or taxpayer. With modern computing it is very easy to factor in the cost of all these incentive coupons into the supermarket markup structure.

So you have already paid for it, in the price of the goods you have bought- more the point is that those who haven't brken the magic reward limit have also paid for it and got nothing in return for paying a little extra on everything they bought.

Supermarkets, in fact every business are not charities, their aim is to make money not give it away; and most of them are expert in doing so.

If a supermarket or any business wants to compete for the consumer's business it should be through sharper prices and better service, not "false giveaway" type promotions.

In Australia, we have gotten in the unhappy position of the uncomfortable duopoly of Woolworths Group and Coles Group controlling the petrol market through their link-ups with Caltex and Shell respectively, and contolling about 75% of all retail spending in Australia - It is not a good look - it should have been prevented by the toothless government watchdog, and as a result the consumer pays and pays much more than they should.

pctek
16-05-2010, 02:45 PM
I spent a bit the other day at Pak n Save. Got a 4c voucher. However I could only use it a BP. BP down the road is 177.9.
The one in the middle is 176.9. Gull is 175.9.
I went to BP anyway and saved a whole $1.20.

Pointless really...

wainuitech
16-05-2010, 02:50 PM
We spend on average $200 - $240 a week at pak n Save. They had the petrol promo this week.

Spend over $180 and 30cents a litre off. Around here its about $1.77 currently (normal price)

robsonde
16-05-2010, 03:37 PM
So...$200 - $12.5 petrol saving = $187.5.

I think that is 6.25% isn't it?

and i am sure that they have more than 6.25% mark up on everything.

but on the up side, if you where going to spend the $200 anyhow, then its a nice win.

Nomad
16-05-2010, 04:40 PM
We just go to Countdown and spend maybe $40 is it .. not sure to get the smaller discount vouchers. A lot of times I don'g the voucher but my mum always buy more stuff so she gets one :lol:

Most of what I buy are on specials too, :D I don't normally get non specials. I stock up too when they are. If pork is special I get that and next time I get lamb. Or I live wihout my treats and it is on special I get some Wiltikers chocs or Timtams :p

I don't use the car that much. My one the last time I drove it was out to the letter box for the heat pump dude's installation. And before that was the WOF and then it was skiing last year. Still have the same petrol since last year October :banana

I read that people spent less on food and more on petrol. If people are keen, they can take the bus and change their evening lifestyle. Maybe just use the car in the weekened. But .. I've worked with people who whinger all day, saying buses are disgusting, they have to drive to work and pay petrol and then pay the $70 carpark lease for the week, or some of them don't go for a lease and ends up paying $20 each day. Some of them are on top tax rates and brag about not enough money to save for a house deposit.

Battleneter2
16-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Just did my car at Pac and Save half an hour ago with 25c off (regrettably have to admit)

The big problem with Supermarkets selling petrol is basically food purchasers (basically all of us) are subsidising petrol consumers (often not the poor and old) on these types of promos.

Prefer they just marked down the price of the food and we can use that savings to buy fuel at a regular price, no one is disadvantaged.

Nomad
16-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Pointless really...

I agree.
Less 1 junk food and you saved it back.

Use the car in the weekend and you save $40 instantly.
Only buy specials at the supermarket. Just on shampoo or liquid soap you could save a few bucks just by doing that.

Poppa John
16-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Ah. But if you usually spend over $200 on groceries, then it's a win for no effort. However I would prefer cheaper groceries all the time rather than gimmicks...

$100 once a pension & a few $40 trips. Rarely spend $200 at a time. We made a list, this morning, of what we thought we could stock up with. Couldnt justify that kind of money. PJ

Nomad
16-05-2010, 09:04 PM
$100 once a pension & a few $40 trips. Rarely spend $200 at a time. We made a list, this morning, of what we thought we could stock up with. Couldnt justify that kind of money. PJ

When I was a student at 2000. I spent on avg $65 supermarket all up. On avg, some weeks more and others less. The items which varied quite a bit was laundry powder, liquid soap and shampoo.

I think at the time, I could of broken it down into sections, like breakfast could of been $10-15 for the week. 1L of milk, a box of cereals, one loaf of (burgen / vogels) bread. Very seldom I bought spreads cos they lasted a while. Ditto to tea and coffee.

When I spent too much, I could of eaten one packet of mince for 5 dinners :p Didn't buy much junk food when I was paying for it. Seldom bought chippies, biscuits, confectionary. About the most treat food I had was maybe wholemeal toast with spreads or crackers :D I did like my cheese thou. Not really into alcohol. I don't care about that. I could of bought a bottle of wine each 3 months I guessed just to wind down.

What I learnt was it works in theory but not really in practice. If something is on special, don't buy more, at the end of the term, you end up paying more and consuming more.

I like cooking so bought a lot of herbs, the plant ones just died over time, the dry ones yeah but then I have more than a couple different ones :lol: Really could of just bought 2 or 3.

SP8's
17-05-2010, 11:11 AM
Smoke n mirrors .... swings n 'round abouts .... you can bet your discounted petrol that the supermarkets and petrol company's are not loosing any profit .... Peter pays Paul doesn't he ??

Andrew B
17-05-2010, 07:39 PM
The local New World here was running the 25c per litre off coupon for a $200 spend over the weekend too. We just bought our usual amount of groceries for about $120, then bought gift coupons for $80 to get over the $200 to qualify for the coupon, which at 25c saves me $15 next time I fill the car with 60 litres. We will use the gift coupon up over the next few weeks or so, so yeah, we save the $15, but won't have spent any more than usual to get it. And we won't be paying for it till the 20th next month when the credit card is due to be paid.

PaulD
17-05-2010, 08:37 PM
The local New World here was running the 25c per litre off coupon for a $200 spend over the weekend too. We just bought our usual amount of groceries for about $120, then bought gift coupons for $80 to get over the $200 to qualify for the coupon, which at 25c saves me $15 next time I fill the car with 60 litres. We will use the gift coupon up over the next few weeks or so, so yeah, we save the $15, but won't have spent any more than usual to get it. And we won't be paying for it till the 20th next month when the credit card is due to be paid.

Unless things have changed you struck it lucky

"Christmas Club Vouchers, New World Gift Cards, tobacco products and New Zealand Lottery tickets are not qualifying purchases." http://www.fueldockets.co.nz/terms.php