PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Connection

Swampy
16-05-2010, 09:51 AM
We have an IBM Thinkpad model A22M 2826 running XP Sp3 and have a wireless broadband connection . I have added a WLAN 802.11g Cardbus Adapter but can not make connection to the wireless network. When I do a diagnose , I get a connection for about 20 sec then get a message" Cannot connect to network" When I look at Network Connection in the CP, there is a note that says " Not connected, Firewalled" Not sure how to over come this.
Would someone please advise what I should do to get this card working. I know that the wirless router works as I have had a friends laptop connect all OK.
Is there a check list of how to set up a wireless networks that advises any modification required in the Network connection, IE, and Ourlook Express

Thanks in advance

Speedy Gonzales
16-05-2010, 09:56 AM
That just means the firewall is on. But it should still connect.

By wireless broadband connection, are you talking about an ADSL modem/router (with wireless), or wireless as in Woosh? There's a difference

Swampy
16-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Wirless as in Modem Router not Woosh. I should have mentioned that the Wireless card is a DSE model XH9945

Speedy Gonzales
16-05-2010, 10:04 AM
Ok. Well of course the wireless needs to be enabled in the router. And put it on WPA or WPA2. Then give it a password. Then do the same with the DSE adapter (whatever you put it on in the router, (WPA, WPA2 etc), the adapter MUST also support it), for it to work. And give both a SSID (which is like a network name). And if both let you change to different channels, if it doesnt work with one, change it to another on both

Swampy
16-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Tried that. Still could not get it to go. How do I find the settings in the wireless router so that I can match in the DSE card ?

Speedy Gonzales
16-05-2010, 12:05 PM
You log into the router. And look for the wireless settings