PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express gone nuts help!

prefect
16-05-2010, 09:22 AM
OE gone nuts this morning it OE6 OS XP
Its downloading 2567 emails from beginning of January this year they all emails that I have seen before.
Try deleting them and it starts all over again from 08 jan.
Doing an update on spybot at moment
What gives?

Jen
16-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Do you have OE set up so it leaves a copy of all emails on the ISP mail server? Have you checked with your ISP for any current email service problems?

prefect
16-05-2010, 09:37 AM
No I am in a state of panic and running around like Beaker in the muppet show.
Everytime I delete them they come back, got to go out now and fix a boat so will see what happens later.
Thanks for help will ring xtra when I get back

Jen
16-05-2010, 09:42 AM
I wouldn't panic. It does sound like you have set up your Outlook Express to leave a copy of all emails on the ISP mail server. For some reason, OE thinks it hasn't downloaded these emails before so it is doing it again (and again). When I have seen this problem before it has normally been a fault with the ISP mail servers.

It may have resolved itself by the time you have come back.

Once this issue is sorted, you may wish to reconsider if you really want to always leave a copy of your emails on the ISP mail server.

Sweep
16-05-2010, 09:52 AM

Safari
16-05-2010, 10:01 AM

That is what you need to do as if you are downloading mail it is what you have left on the ISP server.

This may be relevant as well, from http://www.insideoe.com/problems/bugs.htm#pop3uidl

If your POP3 mail account is configured to "leave a copy of messages on the server" under Tools | Accounts | <account> | Properties | Advanced, it sometimes happens that OE downloads the same messages each time you send and receive. This is caused by a damaged "Pop3uidl.dbx" file in your Identity's store folder. This file keeps track of which messages on the server have already been downloaded and should therefore be skipped on subsequent downloads. To fix the problem, simply delete the "Pop3uidl.dbx" file. The next time you check for mail, all the messages on the server will be downloaded again, but a new "Pop3uidl.dbx" will be created that should work properly on subsequent mail checks.

KarameaDave
16-05-2010, 11:58 AM
running around like Beaker in the muppet show.

Can't help it prefect:lol::lol::lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-bYwopBnXA

prefect
16-05-2010, 01:40 PM
The box for save on the server is unticked
Cant find fil pop3uidl.dbx using start and search on xp
Xtra help desk not answering
Its caused my broadband to top out and now its back to dial up speed.

wainuitech
16-05-2010, 01:49 PM
try this to locate the dbx file.

Open outlook express -- tools/Options/maintenance Tab/ Store Folder

Highlight and copy the complete location.

Close Outlook express.

Click Start/Run - Paste in the store folder location - Press OK -- Look and hopefully the pop3uidl.dbx will be there.

prefect
16-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Thanks Wainui have done what sweep says and deleted all the webmail and seems to have fixed if it starts again I will do the delete file thing
Thanks everyone for help