PDA

View Full Version : Delete files in MS Office 2007

lakewoodlady
15-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Hi guys,
My sister in law is having a problem with Office 2007, in that she cannot delete doc files. Anyone able to help with an answer?

Cheers LL :D

Speedy Gonzales
15-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Go to the folder then delete them?? Close word / whatever before you delete them? Whats it saying when she tries to delete them?

Jen
15-05-2010, 09:39 PM
How is she trying to delete the files? Any error messages?

lakewoodlady
15-05-2010, 09:42 PM
The files are saved in Word, what action is necessary to delete them. She has tried right click but there is no delete option.

LL

Speedy Gonzales
15-05-2010, 09:44 PM
You cant delete them in word, you go to whatever folder, you saved them to, then delete them

GameJunkie
15-05-2010, 09:45 PM
run the office diagnositics , might find something

Jen
15-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Are you meaning the list of last X viewed/recent files that appear in Word?

Deleting a file in a folder has nothing to do with Word itself. So are you saying if she clicks on a .doc to highlight it and then pushes the delete key nothing happens?

lakewoodlady
15-05-2010, 09:54 PM
No she has not tried the delete key on the keyboard. When she right clicks on the file there is no delete option.

LL

Jen
15-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Just to be 100% clear, these are files in a folder and not appearing under the recent document list within Word itself?

lakewoodlady
15-05-2010, 10:07 PM
The files are not in any folder, but they are in the document list down the side when File/Open is selected.

LL

Jen
15-05-2010, 10:11 PM
The files are not in any folder, but they are in the document list down the side when File/Open is selected.

LLAh, in that case follow these instructions (taken from Word help)

Click the Microsoft Office Button (round globe like button), and then click Word Options (button at the bottom).
Click Advanced.
Scroll down and under Display, in the Show this number of Recent Documents list, click 0.

Once this list has been cleared (by setting it to 0 and exiting out), you can go back and make it '5' or whatever number suits you if you wish to build up this list again for convenience.

lakewoodlady
15-05-2010, 10:13 PM
But she doesn't want to delete all of them , only some.

LL

Jen
15-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Well it doesn't appear you can selectively select which ones to keep or delete. I would clear the lot and then go back and open up each file you wish to reappear on this list to repopulate it.

Speedy Gonzales
15-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Well you cant (from there), if you havent saved any. Those are only entries for what you've opened previously, (and may have been deleted). If you want to delete whatever docs, you need to go to the folder you saved them to, then delete them

lakewoodlady
15-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Ok, she says she hasn't saved any files in a folder at all. She works with the same files (only a few) each day, she just saves the document as it is and then closes Word.

I have no idea actually because I dont have Office, just thought someone may have an idea. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, will give her some things to try. She does publishing for a small local newspaper up north and has just recently had to upgrade the computer to Win 7. MS Office came with it so she is having to learn that too. Quite a bit different to office 2003 which she was used to.

LL Cheers.

Sweep
15-05-2010, 10:44 PM
They will probably be in the documents folder unless they have been deleted.. She could move them into another folder.

wainuitech
15-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Ok, she says she hasn't saved any files in a folder at all. She works with the same files (only a few) each day, she just saves the document as it is and then closes Word.
As its been mentioned before the files are NOT saved in the actual word program, the ones that are listed are only links to the actual files.

When she works on a file, it is being saved with alterations at the location of the original file on the HDD or on a flash drive or network location.

If you hold the cursor over a document in the list it will pop up and tell you exactly where it is.

Another way - open the document from that list - select "save as" -- When the window opens it will open in the same location as the original document. Then you can go to the location and delete the one you want.

MANY people think word stores the documents-- it DOESN"T-- Heres an example - I'm using Word 2010 RTM on my PC - BUT Look at the Location under the title (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Office_20101273921051.jpg) of the actual original documents listed. Two are on my PC & two are on a Server in the workshop. noted by the \\

coldot
16-05-2010, 08:18 AM
LWL - have you been up all night trying to sort the problem? Or is it sorted?
Reading these posts, it becomes clear that your friend isn't very PC literate, but the right answers are all in there. If she still has problems then I can describe how it works in my Word 2007.

wainuitech
16-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Another Way to actually find the document --- Since its windows 7 - use the very good search function - Click start, type in the name or part name of the document, in the results it should show the document as long as it has not already been deleted, right click it - Open file location.

As an example - in the previous post, I had a screen shot of several documents - One called Technet heres how to find it Via the search (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Word_doc.jpg)

lakewoodlady
16-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Well I don't know, but I think my sister in law is only slightly less confused as to what to do. She admits to being PC illiterate and still cant get her head around the fact that Word DOESN'T save docs and that they WILL be saved in her Documents Folder.
She and hubby have just left to go back up to Mangawhai and I have given her a step by step list of things to try.

Thanks once again for all the tips and suggestions.

Cheers LL :thanks