PDA

View Full Version : Can you connect?

gary67
15-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Can you connect a computer to a TV using TV out from a tuner card and not have a computer monitor attached? That is what I am trying to achieve in my lounge so I can watch movies from my server via an old computer behind the TV. I have no money to be going out and buying things like media boxes this is my attempt at a non budget media centre.

My TV has no HDMI or DVI only RCA so was sort of hoping the TV out would work in much the same way as running your aerial through your VHS video box used to work

wainuitech
15-05-2010, 08:25 PM
You should be able to.

My Media Center is exactly that - a 32" LCD TV ( want a bigger screen :crying) The card has the option of RCA or Sub-D connections (old tuner card) I use the Sub - D as it gives a better picture.

When you turn on the TV to watch a normal program its AV1 -- When I want to use the PC, or watch a movie, or play music since the PC is connected to the stereo :punk you simply press the PC button on the TV remote ( since I use the Sub-D) and Viola - 32" monitor.

From Memory I used AV2 with the RCA. You will need something Like this (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Cables-adaptors/Monitor/auction-284720877.htm) First picture I found.

KarameaDave
15-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Yes, I do it with AV in (RCA)
With an old PIII 1.266 fx5200 W2k
works fine on an old 29in Akai CRT.
Standard definition of course.
I set it up first with both TV and Monitor
connected. Adjusted flicker filter and saturation
and make TV primary
in NVidia control panel.
Reboot with just TV connected and
as the frogs say Voilą

ubergeek85
15-05-2010, 11:49 PM
I'm not sure about the outputs on tuner cards (not having owned or used one), but I have something like this (before I got lappie with tv-out): http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.28789

Fantastic! I just set the desktop resolution to 640x480 or 800x600 and bob's your uncle! Just plug in the VGA cable to the computer video out, and the composite or s-video cable to the TV. Easy as pie.

gary67
16-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Cool will give it a try

gary67
16-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Yippee all working using S-video