PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new scanner

Tony
15-05-2010, 05:26 PM
I think the time has come at long last to retire my SCSI Microtek E6 scanner. :crying
Any suggestions for a good quality USB-based replacement at a reasonable price?

Ofthesea
15-05-2010, 05:34 PM
I suppose it depends on whether or not you want to scan 35mm negatives and slides as well as scan up to just A4 size?

Speedy Gonzales
15-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Buy an MFC with printer and maybe fax, if you need one / both

Tony
15-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Buy an MFC with printer and maybe fax, if you need one / bothYeah, I've been thinking about that. My Laserjet 1300 is also getting a bit venerable, so that might be a good idea.
I think I'd want to get a laser machine in that case, as I object to the cost of ink cartridges. Also, do I get colour or b/w? Oh the decisions!

Tony
15-05-2010, 05:40 PM
I suppose it depends on whether or not you want to scan 35mm negatives and slides as well as scan up to just A4 size?I do have several hundred slides that I never look at and would benefit from scanning. On the other hand, that would be a one-time operation, so it might be better to pay someone else to do that. Probably just A4 scanning in fact.

Speedy Gonzales
15-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Yeah, I've been thinking about that.
I think I'd want to get a laser machine in that case, as I object to the cost of ink cartridges. Also, do I get colour or b/w? Oh the decisions!

Depends how much you want to spend. DSE sell colour lasers @ $399 +. I wouldnt get the brother one tho from DSE. The toner cartridges are over $100 each (there's 4 of them) ! The HP one doesnt look too bad. At least its cartridges are 29 each

Tony
15-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Depends how much you want to spend. DSE sell colour lasers @ $399 +. I wouldnt get the brother one tho from DSE. The toner cartridges are over $100 each (there's 4 of them) ! The HP one doesnt look too bad. At least its cartridges are 29 eachI don't think I'd go to DSE for that sort of stuff either. Is that the HP MFC that's about $1000? I've seen quite good reports of that. There's also Brother, which are a good price but from what I've read the colour quality is not too good.

Speedy Gonzales
15-05-2010, 05:55 PM
No this (http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4bee29700222df3c2744c0a87f3b06b5/Product/View/XP3350). It has BT, wireless, cd/dvd printing and LAN as well

Tony
15-05-2010, 06:15 PM
No this (http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4bee29700222df3c2744c0a87f3b06b5/Product/View/XP3350). It has BT, wireless, cd/dvd printing and LAN as wellThat certainly looks well-spec'd - I'm just not sure about the ink jet. 90% of my printing requirements are b/w text. Maybe I keep the Laserjet and use that for the text, and use the inkjet for everything else. It would mean having two boxes around though, even though I would be losing the old scanner.

I think I need a little lie down...

McRuff
15-05-2010, 06:45 PM
[QUOTE=I'm just not sure about the ink jet. 90% of my printing requirements are b/w text. Maybe I keep the Laserjet and use that for the text, and use the inkjet for everything else.[/QUOTE]

I tried that when I got a laser printer. I found that I ended up wanting to print photo's in colour about once every six months. When I tried, the ink was stuffed and needed replacing. Ended up to be really expensive prints so I now just pay for photos when needed from a print service. Everything else is in black in white.

Tony
15-05-2010, 10:56 PM
I tried that when I got a laser printer. I found that I ended up wanting to print photo's in colour about once every six months. When I tried, the ink was stuffed and needed replacing. Ended up to be really expensive prints so I now just pay for photos when needed from a print service. Everything else is in black in white.Good point. I could do sometimes with printing colour documents, but even that is not that frequent.
Maybe plan B (C?) is to get a b/w laser multifunction and do what you do for colour.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Trev
15-05-2010, 11:11 PM
I do have several hundred slides that I never look at and would benefit from scanning. On the other hand, that would be a one-time operation, so it might be better to pay someone else to do that. Probably just A4 scanning in fact.
You can buy a slide/negative scanner for about $150. To get slides done professionally you pay about $1-50 a slide.
:)

Tony
15-05-2010, 11:19 PM
You can buy a slide/negative scanner for about $150. To get slides done professionally you pay about $1-50 a slide.
:)Sounds like a better idea - the slide to digital thing is nowhere near the top of the list anyway.

rumpty
16-05-2010, 12:13 PM
I think the time has come at long last to retire my SCSI Microtek E6 scanner. :crying

That's a bit of a shame Tony, it is a great scanner - I'm still using mine, but it is getting harder, with Windows7, for instance. And there's the necessary SCSI card.

W7 doesn't have a WIA driver for it. I have wondered if it would somehow be possible to "lift" the driver from XP, but don't suppose it is.

Nomad
16-05-2010, 04:03 PM
That's a bit of a shame Tony, it is a great scanner - I'm still using mine, but it is getting harder, with Windows7, for instance. And there's the necessary SCSI card.

W7 doesn't have a WIA driver for it. I have wondered if it would somehow be possible to "lift" the driver from XP, but don't suppose it is.

Look at Vuescan software on the net, there is a standard version demo available - comes with a watermark. Both std and pro versions are available, the pro I think does calibration with iT8 targets, if you shoot a lot of say Velvia slide film you can calibrate it. Cannot calibrate with photo neg film thou.

Vuescan is a software that replaces your manufacturer software too. You can also look at more $$ Silverfast.

Re: scanning film. Flatbed do alright jobs. Better go for a Nikon Coolscan or a Minolta scanner which is now discontinued. Dedicated scanners. Depends what you are after. The real reso off a flatbed might only register at 2,000dpi regardless of its inflated number. Prob ok if you don't take photography too seriously.

Laser would be the way to go IMO. If you are wanting to print pictures, only make sense if you plan to print A4 or larger, the deals at the mini kiosks (for printing) are just too good. Plus paper and ink are not cheap, I for instance import them. They are 2x in NZ.

You may wanna think abotu if you need a network capable printer or not ... we are sorta thinking back. Can be plugged into router like in the communal room and it is indepdent, doesn't rely on a computer or both to be on if you are printing say from a bedroom to the main computer's connected printer.

May wanna look at a used HP laser printer that does double side too :cool:

Tony
16-05-2010, 04:56 PM

W7 doesn't have a WIA driver for it. I have wondered if it would somehow be possible to "lift" the driver from XP, but don't suppose it is.It's the SCSI that is the issue. I haven't been able to find a driver for either of my SCSI cards that will work with Vista or W7. Nothing wrong with the scanner itself, although the Microtek scanner software has been flaky for years. I've been running it on an old XP machine, but that is starting to get to be too much of a hassle.

Tony
16-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Laser would be the way to go IMO. If you are wanting to print pictures, only make sense if you plan to print A4 or larger, the deals at the mini kiosks (for printing) are just too good. I'm beginning to think you are right.

You may wanna think abotu if you need a network capable printer or notNetwork capable is a nice-to-have for me. My printer is in the same room as the PCs, and is currently shared off my WHS machine. I can see the advantages of hanging it off the network, but it is not a must-have.

Nomad
16-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Try to get a cheap new SCSI card. That should have W7 drivers.
If you don't have scanner drivers, check Vuescan out, I think that works if you are unable to obtain drivers - as you do with older devices.....

For the cost of printing.
You shell out the printer cost. Paper cost maybe $50-60NZ for a packet of 50x A4 sheets. $100-120 for the A3 version. Ink cost maybe $25 per cartridge depending on your printer setup.

Tony
16-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Try to get a cheap new SCSI card. That should have W7 drivers.
If you don't have scanner drivers, check Vuescan out, I think that works if you are unable to obtain drivers - as you do with older devices.....

For the cost of printing.
You shell out the printer cost. Paper cost maybe $50-60NZ for a packet of 50x A4 sheets. $100-120 for the A3 version. Ink cost maybe $25 per cartridge depending on your printer setup. I think I've pretty much decided to go for a laser mutifunction, seeing as I almost need to replace my printer as well.

I think the issue is "cheap SCSI card". I've never found such a beast.

Nomad
16-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Surely, DSE's have some relatively cheap SCSI cards, $50 - 100 ..

We prefer the MF in the lounge just so that they can photocopy stuff without going into the computer room :p esp for non computer people, like photocopying invoices.

We have a Canon MF FWIW at times it would stop if you print many pages, thin it stops and need a power reset after 12 or 20 pages. Had it serviced before but nothing found. Weird. I say HP are the best. Not all do double side printing.

What we found with the newer printers is that it is much faster and that PDF brochures don't become garbled.

Nomad
16-05-2010, 06:08 PM
We didn't ever own a inkjet apart from a portable inkjet when I went to uni with my 2nd hand laptop. Went laser and went laser again the MF. Once you seen what a laser quality is there is no substitute :p

We had a dot matrix in our 1992 first computer. Was a color. What a waste.

I have a 2nd hand A3 color inkjet for my photography thou bought after them (2). Only for pictures. A4 and A3 for club work.

BBCmicro
18-05-2010, 01:44 PM
I bought a Canon Lide 100 scanner a month ago. To try it out I scanned the cardboard box it came in. (That's where the specs are written these days.) IT DIDN'T WORK. The depth of field is so small that the paper needs to be right on the platten, not 4mm proud.

I also discovered that "2400 dpi" means 1200 black dots and 1200 white dots per inch. Something to keep in mind if you're scanning negatives. (I use a dedicated film scanner)

Nomad
18-05-2010, 03:55 PM
I bought a Canon Lide 100 scanner a month ago. To try it out I scanned the cardboard box it came in. (That's where the specs are written these days.) IT DIDN'T WORK. The depth of field is so small that the paper needs to be right on the platten, not 4mm proud.

I also discovered that "2400 dpi" means 1200 black dots and 1200 white dots per inch. Something to keep in mind if you're scanning negatives. (I use a dedicated film scanner)

That's about right. I have a $900 Epson V700 and I find the real reso is maybe 2,000dpi on that despite it's ~7,000 dpi or whatever. I got that for large format (sheet) film scanning.

Plan to get a used Nikon Coolscan to do 35mm and medium format.

For non photog people should be fine.

Tony
18-05-2010, 04:15 PM
I'm currently looking at the idea of an Epson V300, which seems to do everything I'll need. I still haven't totally given away the idea of a laser MFC, but I think I can get a stand alone scanner and stand alone printer for less money, at the cost of some office real estate. I don't need fax, and can always copy with the scanner - albeit a bit more clumsily.