PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth, pay for software and dongle?

AnokFero
14-05-2010, 09:17 PM
So after getting a new phone, I wanted to try and keep wires away from it as much as possible and was told to go Bluetooth.

I did, and I ended up going to Noel Lemmings to purchase a forty dollar dongle. Get it home connect everything up and I'm told, "please buy this software to continue to use it".

So I went to the site and found out that I need to not only buy the device, but keep their software updated. Each version is required to be updated, with each version currently costing another forty NZD.

Is this common? Have I spent this money and wasted it because I'm not about to buy software for a hardware device simply because they aren't blocked by law to do so.

Speedy Gonzales
14-05-2010, 09:29 PM
What kind of phone is it?? There are some free programs around for some mobiles. ie: Nokia. Ive got a BT adapter dont use it now tho. But it came with the program which was free (from the ASUS site). As part of the install. But yup, in order to update the program you had to pay for it

AnokFero
14-05-2010, 09:41 PM
The phone is the Sony Ericsson Walkman, and thanks will do a google to see if something like that is possible.

Speedy Gonzales
14-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Whats the model of the phone? Since it looks like there's more than 1 Sony Ericsson Walkman. And what version of windows are you using? What exactly do you want to do? Just send / receive using BT?

AnokFero
14-05-2010, 10:01 PM
ah sorry (should have known). Uhm, W508 and Windows 7.

Mostly I use it for backup of data, but using it to send/receive would be cool too. I do transfer files to and from, thou I believe I have to use the usb cable for that.

Speedy Gonzales
14-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Umm see what options Win7 gives (after you plug the adapter in). The icon for BT, I think is in control panel. Add a device / pair it, and see what you can send/receive. You'll also have to enable BT on the phone, and pair it with the adapter, so it'll work

Try this program, its free (http://www.fjsoft.at/en/downloads.php). Are you using this (http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/support/softwaredownloads/detailed/pcsuite/w508?cc=gb&lc=en)?? I think thats free too

AnokFero
14-05-2010, 10:50 PM
yes using PC Suite. Decided to uninstall the program, but that removed functions of the bluetooth (even thou Devices installed drivers for it), will report back soon.

sroby
17-05-2010, 12:34 PM
I did, and I ended up going to Noel Lemmings to purchase a forty dollar dongle. Get it home connect everything up and I'm told, "please buy this software to continue to use it".

Ive had similar.
The dongle I bought came with Bluetooth software/drivers that simply didnt work (at all).
it took 2 hours of googling(&trial & error) to find functional & compatible drivers/software