PDA

View Full Version : transfering firefox settings and favorites

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 04:58 PM
how can i transfer firefox settings from my old harddrive to my new one. like favorites and saved passwords?

KarameaDave
14-05-2010, 05:12 PM
This,

Restoring to a different location

If the profile folder names do not match or if you want to move or restore a profile to a different location, do the following:

1. Completely close Firefox, as explained above.
2. Use the Firefox Profile Manager to create a new profile in your desired location, then exit the Profile Manager.
Note: If you just installed Firefox on a new computer, you can use the default profile that is automatically created when you first run Firefox, instead of creating a new profile.
3. Locate the backed up profile folder on your hard drive or backup medium (e.g., your USB-stick).
4. Open the profile folder backup (e.g., the xxxxxxxx.default backup).
5. Copy the entire contents of the profile folder backup, such as the mimeTypes.rdf file, prefs.js file, bookmarkbackups folder, etc.
6. Locate and open the new profile folder as explained above and then close Firefox (if open).
7. Paste the contents of the backed up profile folder into the new profile folder, overwriting existing files of the same name.
8. Start Firefox.

From here
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Backing+up+your+information

gary67
14-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Use the Xmarks addon for Firefox it works brilliantly and you can sync your profile between computers does bookmarks, passwords and tabs if you so wish. I use it to sync with my portable FF on my flashdrive as well. It's good for setting up your new computer too as the account you create is secure and the stuff can be downloaded onto any computer any time

pctek
14-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Or use Mozbackup.

AnokFero
14-05-2010, 09:29 PM
I personally use Moxbackup. It's saved my bacon many times now... firefox without Mozbackup is like IE with bloatware.

beeswax34
15-05-2010, 03:59 AM
Or use Mozbackup.

x2

KarameaDave
15-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Or use Mozbackup.
Fine and dandy...but the OP can not successfully start
the original OS (Vista). Makes it a bit difficult to install
any add-ons, I would have thought.