PDA

View Full Version : cant log in. blank skreen with curser (vista)

goodiesguy
13-05-2010, 11:42 PM
anyone got a fix??

fixes can not include formating and reinstalling.

KarameaDave
13-05-2010, 11:44 PM
Is this the same PC you were trying to fix in this thread?
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=109569

goodiesguy
13-05-2010, 11:46 PM
yup, but its now twice as worse. i need it to be fixed. i really just wanna kill myself. it has all my stuff on it.

KarameaDave
13-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Do you have a Linux live CD so you can boot to it and try to rescue your data?

GameJunkie
13-05-2010, 11:51 PM
its best to add new info to your existing thread so it's easier for people to help you

goodiesguy
13-05-2010, 11:57 PM
i wont 2 fix it. i dont want to format and reinstall. wanuittek or watever his name is told me to do a system restore. before i did the system restore i could access safemode. and boot normal for a few minutes. after the restore. this!!! looks like i wont be getting to bed 2nite, and im sick too so that makes it worse. i do have ubuntu on a pcworld disk but the only pc with a burner is the pc that isent going that im talking about. im having to use our cruddy compaq evo n410c to type this.

my mums on our dads pc which has a burner, so no luck

KarameaDave
14-05-2010, 12:00 AM
The Ubuntu on the PCworld disk may already be bootable.
Put it in the DVD drive and restart.

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 12:03 AM
how is this going to get vista going again?, even worse i cant find my vista cd. i mite have 2 upgrade to 7 as i have the disk, dunno if it'll run on 768mb ram, vista does niceley and i am looking on trade me for some ram

Speedy Gonzales
14-05-2010, 12:06 AM
Press F8 after you reboot and select last known good config. Does this work?

KarameaDave
14-05-2010, 12:08 AM
It won't get Vista going but might allow you to backup your data.
It sounds to me as though your hard drive might be failing...up to you of course.

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 12:11 AM
my pc dont let me reboot if i reboot i have to power off, as it goes into like a standby mode. even worse i cant even get the bios settings to save so i can boot off a cd. it was fine, i was listening to mp3s in winamp, with msn on my second monitor and on tvnz website in firefox. then my sound cut off. i tried disableing and reinableing in device manager. when i pressed disable my computer froze. i rebooted. tried to go into device mangager to check if it was reinabled, it went blank into a sort of standby mode. next restart once everything was loaded it would go into the standby type of mode (monitors cut off and loading lite just lit constantly) i have no viruses.

KarameaDave
14-05-2010, 12:15 AM
'even worse i cant even get the bios settings to save so i can boot off a cd.'

Then you might need a new CMOS battery.
If it is flat it can cause a range of bizarre behaviours.

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 12:18 AM
i've put in ones from other pc's which i know work. i mite need to get a new one

http://www.betanews.com/article/Tracking-Vistas-elusive-Black-Screen-of-Death/1245254312

any one understand this? this mite help, im relying on something like this. im not letting go of my 956 mp3's, numerous rare spike milligan shows, rare benny hill etc.. rare music. i just cant afford to lose this stuff

KarameaDave
14-05-2010, 12:22 AM
Can you test the CMOS battery with a Voltmeter?
Should read 3 volts or more.

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 12:27 AM
i'll have 2 try 2 morrow. its getting late. 2 morrow im gonna pop my hard drives in dads pc and do a repair install or upgrade or backup. wotever will work

KarameaDave
14-05-2010, 12:30 AM
Good luck.

Speedy Gonzales
14-05-2010, 12:33 AM
From here (http://www.logicitc.com/blog/?p=102)

Try this

1. after the KSOD HD activity ended and i pressed shift for 5 or 8 times , the window came, i clicked yes.. but it hanged and freezed ..

2. i tried next time i rebooted, after clicking the shift for 5 or 8 times, the window appear, and there is a link on that window says :

Go to the Ease of Access Center to disable the keyboard shortcut

3. i clicked on that , an explorer window opens, in that window clear the link and type msconfig and run it.

4. in the selective startup iíve unchecked the two options, apply restart.

5. windows started with explorer.

6. running msconfig again, enabling all under startup items and all under services, but IíVE UNCHECKED THE FOLLOWING :

A. Windows Event Log.

B. Windows Event Collector.

you donít have to go and enable all the services one by one like THIS IS A REAL FIX! READ HERE said.

if some one tried from step 3 just to disable A & B items, if it worked please feed back.

Eng.Meshô

Wow, I didnt know sticky keys would ever be useful to meÖ lol

This solution worked indeed, but doesnít completely solve the issue. Windows Event Log is useful for computer techs on solving other issues. Here is what I did following these steps to make the windows event log service function again. Apparently if the log files are corrupted, it causes windows event log to hang the system.

Go to C:\Windows\System32\Winevt\ and rename your Logs folder to Logs_Bad, and make a new Logs folder

Run Services and change your Windows Event Log service to automatic, and set the Windows Event Collector service to Manual.

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 08:35 AM
all i get is a sticky keys windows, what do i do?

their is no link, im using service pack 2

Speedy Gonzales
14-05-2010, 08:57 AM
Well, to make it faster remove it put it in a working system. Go to that folder rename it. Put it back in your system. Then turn the system on

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 09:04 AM
ok. also i will film wat is happening and load it to rapidshare or something so you guys can see whats happening

Speedy Gonzales
14-05-2010, 09:10 AM
I dont think anyone is going to bother getting it, if its too big. Just put it in another system and rename the folder. Or you'll be there forever trying to fix it

Or just keep rebooting / pressing shift 5-8 times, until you see that message. Since it may not work the 1st time

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 09:21 AM
its only a 3mb file, dont worry

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 09:27 AM
here is the video (http://rapidshare.com/files/386977400/help.wmv.html), its only 3mb, it shows my pc starting up with this problem

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 09:30 AM
also if i put my hard drive in another pc as a secondary. how am i meant to fix it?

Speedy Gonzales
14-05-2010, 09:39 AM
You open computer, go to your hdd, then go to windows\system32\winevt\logs rename it to something like logs_bad. Then create a new folder called Logs. Then put it back in your system. Then see if it boots into windows

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 09:45 AM
ok, thanks. you are helpful. u remind me of looney tunes. oh theirs a song from 1961 called "speedy gonzales (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0p9qMUSIgc)" it should be your theme tune

wainuitech
14-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks for putting what you said about the attitude - I was just about to give you an ear full - or in this case - eye full;)

Not my fault if your system is corrupted or maybe even a hardware failure.

One bit of advise-- Please when describing a problem include EVERYTHING thats happening -- neglecting to mention the fact
before i did the system restore i could access safemode. and boot normal for a few minutes
i also noticed when things were going rong that my desktop was loading faster even tho i have only 768mb ram. it usally takes 5 minutes to fully load with all my taskbar stuff and then its fine and runs really well. but when the issue started happening everthing loaded twice as fast. bad and weird. i like waiting I would have suggested something completely different- we can only go by what a person writes.

The last quote - first thought - your AV or some other memory hogging program may have failed and not actually loading.

Anyway ------- If you want to try another suggestion I make - upto you -- (just looked at your video) try starting the PC in safemode with Command prompt -- keep tapping F8 on startup and select it - the PC may appear to Hang on a crcdisk.sys this is normal.

Assuming it loads - you may only get the command prompt box. IF you do, type in msconfig and press enter - all going well, the msconfig box will appear. Go to the startup Tab - Untick everything thats not required. leave Windows operating system ticked. -- Next - go to the services tab - tick the box bottom Left "hide Microsoft Services" Untick every thing else. Reboot the PC, it "may" as long as theres no real bad corruption in the system fiels boot into windows.

NOW the problem can be looked at and possibly fixed.

PS: I did the above to a vista PC about a month ago doing the same black screen, that allowed access to actually fix the damn thing.

PSS: may be wise to not carry on two separate threads, as it gets confusing-- so stick to one and maybe link to the other as a reference if needed.

Off to fix a customers stuffed Vista PC -- Seriously:rolleyes:

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Speedy Gonzales, that unfortunitly didn't work

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 10:59 AM
oh and safe mode with command prompt dont work either

Speedy Gonzales
14-05-2010, 11:01 AM
So is it doing the same thing, or can you get into windows now? Or you'll have to find your DVD and do a repair. Or connect it to a working system copy your files to something else. Then format it

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 11:04 AM
its doing the same thing, looks like i'll have to get a new cmos battery and backup my stuff and do a reinstall. i mite put windows 7 home premium on as i have the disk. i reluctant to tho. is it faster than vista? how well will it run on 768mb ram(im looking for another 512mb ddr400 stick on trademe)

Speedy Gonzales
14-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Windows 7 maybe OK. But the min requirement is 2 GB

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 11:12 AM
thats the most my motherboard will take (2GB, i think). should i revert back to xp? (i really dont want to, i absolutly love vista) pc world mag said the minimum was 1gb. i have (had) vista running with aero interface at pretty good speeds. though movie maker which i use ocasionally use did not work to well. i dont really want xp back but i know i mite have to. i've become so acustomed to vista tho. i really love vista. its my favorite operating system. then i could always partition.

inphinity
14-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Why can't you reinstall Vista? If you've just lost the CD, borrow one and just use your product key.

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 11:33 AM
i'll find the cd. dam i should have let norton ghost do its backup thing. when i did it i always canceled it. i dont think it backed up vista tho. i can acess all my files. nows a good time to get rid of my 40gb which has vista which has this problem and put vista on my bigger 120gb and my 160gb as secondary

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 12:04 PM
a screen saver came up. their must still be hope. its just a black screen preventing me from using my desktop. i just need to find a way to get past this as i know i can somehow. i don't want to format and start again. that is a last resort. their must be a way. think of anything that mite help guys!, im praying

Speedy Gonzales
14-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Try pressing shift key again.. Do it till something happens.

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 12:11 PM
all i get is the sticky keys thing saying with yes and no saying that i can press SHIFT CTRL and ALT if i press them one at a time which i dont understand. their will be a way to fix this. i just currently don't know how

inphinity
14-05-2010, 12:19 PM
ctrl-alt-del doesnt bring up task manager? you can't right-click the blank area?

Speedy Gonzales
14-05-2010, 12:21 PM
So did you press yes then follow post 17?

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 12:23 PM
nothing shows up after that, no link either

Sweep
14-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Why not find your Vista CD or borrow one and install Vista on the bigger Hard drive. Then slave the current 40 Gig drive and copy the data off?

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 12:31 PM
i know thats a good idea but installing vista on 768mb ram is time consuming, and i will have to wait utill mum gets back as shes buying me a new cmos battery, i gave her one so she knows what to get. at the moment my pc dosent restart and it dosent save bios settings so i cant get it to boot of a cd. or sometimes after i turn pc back on after having to power it down cos of it trying to restart i get a message saying

AWARD boot blocker

Cmos checksum erorr
INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

Speedy Gonzales
14-05-2010, 12:41 PM
I think you need to take it to someone who knows what theyre doing. Installing Vista isnt the prob, its installing the service packs after that take longer. It sounds like its trying to boot from something that isnt bootable or isnt connected. Wait for the battery

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 12:49 PM
yeah. it was running fine tho thats the weird thing. im always being carful and i do maintenance to make sure it works. i recently updated to service pack 2 (ah, could this be the problem). im always making sure the inside of the box is clean. i would have more RAM but i only have 1 512mb stick. my motherboard only has 2 slots. if it had a 3rd i would have 1gb (2x 256mb sticks). my dad has a 1gb stick in his pc. dont know why he needs it when he's running xp pro. he has all this stuff that he dosent need. any good ddr400 Ram brands? im looking on trade me. i dont want cheap tho, i wont at least middle range, used or unused, and relitivly cheap

Sweep
14-05-2010, 01:00 PM
So if you have just 1 512 meg how come you have 768 megs RAM showing up? Or do you actually have 1 x 512 + 1 x 256 which would make more sense.

Speedy Gonzales
14-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Sounds like he's got 768 but has a spare 512mb stick. But cant use it since there's only 2 slots

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 01:04 PM
i have 1 512mb ram stick and 1 256 ram stick

inphinity
14-05-2010, 01:05 PM
He has 1x 512 and 2x 256, but with only 2 slots, the best combination of these he cna get is 1xx 512 and 1x 256 installed, for a total of 768MB.

Did this issue occur immediately after installing SP2?

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 01:16 PM
no it occured arount 8:20pm last night. i was listening to a song called "spanish flea" in winamp, talking to a mate on msn and browsing internet. i always do this, i listen 2 music, do msn and browse internet on firefox

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 01:16 PM
my old pc had 3 slots but that was SD ram and i only had enuff for 768mbs

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 01:20 PM
i have my new cmos battery. i will put it in soon

wainuitech
14-05-2010, 01:30 PM
By the sounds of it, Norton screwed your OS. Its a common problem.

When you mentioned "norton ghost" - that is usually part of a package, that along with the comment before about the PC starting up faster than it used to would indicate Norton had failed, and ususlly when that happens it takes out system files and causes all sorts of other problems as well. (including the problem you are having)

In my previous post I mentioned a customers stuffed Vista, Just got back- they had Norton Internet Security 2009 installed, it was stopping the system from getting even to the point that yours did.

After booting their PC from a CD I have, disabled Norton from starting and instantly it booted. Then had to remove the software & repair the damage it had caused.

Sometimes, if a system gets too damaged, the only option is to reinstall it, as no amount of fixing will ever get it going correctly again..

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 01:37 PM
i had norton ghost seperatly. i woulnt go near their antivirus. i needed something to ghost my old secondary drive so i downloaded it (yes i know its illeagal but i needed to ghost my hd cos my old 80gb was too small. if you have any insight on how to get me back into my system so i can get rid of it and stuff. let me know.

i use avast

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 01:38 PM
so it was a matter of time before this happend (with norton ghost installed)?

it stengthens my theory that nortons is usless. i dont know why i gave in

Sweep
14-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Well we don't know what extras may have come with your downloaded Norton do we?

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 01:51 PM
no but i have never had issue with viruses when downloading (only ocasionally i download). i really just think this problem is a vista fault. i recon it can be fixed

Speedy Gonzales
14-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Well you could be there forever trying to fix it.

So, either:

1. Follow post 17 until the stickykeys thing works.

2. Connect the hdd to another system, copy the files you want, then format

3. Find the Vista DVD and try and repair it

4. Dont install Nortons again

KarameaDave
14-05-2010, 01:57 PM
When a customers PC is screwed to the extent yours appears to be, I
advise them that a backup and reinstall is the best option.
There may well be a fix for your issue, then again there may not.
I know you are reluctant to reinstall, and won't want to hear this,
but reinstalling is the best option in my opinion (and Wainuitechs as well it would appear)

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 02:00 PM
i'll have to hunt my vista cd. or should i put 7 on?? whats gonna be better? it has to run on 768mb ram. i've heard that windows 7 is faster than vista. but i dont like windows 7's task bar

wainuitech
14-05-2010, 02:03 PM
As per what Speedy said.

Vista has a known problem doing this, there are MANY suggestions and fixes, most of which dont work.

Microsoft were meant to bring out a fix in one of the service packs, and while it did fix some PC's, many it didn't.

While its always good to repair a system, sometimes its to far gone, and the only way is a reinstall. You can play about for weeks (yes weeks) and get no where, other times you fix it withing moments.

Most of the "normal/Basic" fixes have been suggested - if the msconfig wont even open its badly damaged. There may be ways to repair it to a going state, but not here, you would need someone who has the software to access the system etc.( normally not free software either)

Its a case of "knowing" when you are fighting a losing battle.

Saving all data is the important thing, reinstalling the OS and putting back programs is not a biggie and they can be replaced, Data usually cant esp if its not backed up.

Speedy Gonzales
14-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Try it you'll soon find out. It'll be better than looking at a black screen

KarameaDave
14-05-2010, 02:04 PM
I believe that 7 is slightly more accommodating
of lower amounts of ram...it is not noticeably
faster in my experience.
(I'm sure someone will dispute that though :D)

wainuitech
14-05-2010, 02:05 PM
i'll have to hunt my vista cd. or should i put 7 on?? whats gonna be better? it has to run on 768mb ram. i've heard that windows 7 is faster than vista. but i dont like windows 7's task bar W7 -- you can customize many parts to your liking.

Vista is OK - W7 is better.

AND it has its own Backup program

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 02:07 PM
i want to know if im wise loading windows 7 home premium (yes its genuine) i've had the pc world win 7 beta disk run really fast on only 512mb ram. i want to know should i install win 7. i want to know if it is better than vista and in what ways. as long as i can get the win 7 taskbar looking like vista [folders showing separate] ( i dont like win 7 taskbar)

Speedy Gonzales
14-05-2010, 02:09 PM
Just install the damn thing and get it over and done with! If you dont like the taskbar then find a program that can replace it

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 02:14 PM
ok. i will hook my drive up to my dads pc and back up my stuff to the external drive then install. happy?

wainuitech
14-05-2010, 02:21 PM
as long as i can get the win 7 taskbar looking like vista [folders showing separate] ( i dont like win 7 taskbar) EASY --

Right click the Task Bar/ Properties

On the Taskbar tab, under Taskbar appearance, select Never combine from the Taskbar buttons menu, and then click OK.

To change the Taskbar to the Black of Vista, thats just a Setting you can change to suit in the Windows Color and Appearance options.

KarameaDave
14-05-2010, 02:39 PM
ok. i will hook my drive up to my dads pc and back up my stuff to the external drive then install. happy?
Why would Speedy be happy?
You ask for advice then develop an attitude?
Try to realise that these people are donating their
time and expertise to help us.

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 02:56 PM
i didnt mean it to come across like that. i meant it in a good way. and im ever so thankful of you guys help. you guys are top notch. this is the first place i go now for my pc problems. i am installing win 7 home premium on a 120gb. with the 160gb still my secondary.

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 02:57 PM
and i like the color of win 7 task bar. just no how it dosent separate folders

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 02:59 PM
i put new cmos battery in. it worked for changing bios setting and restarted good. but its doing the same cmos thing agian.

wainuitech
14-05-2010, 03:24 PM
and i like the color of win 7 task bar. just no how it dosent separate foldersRead Post 68 - Explained there

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 03:26 PM
i read it and have fixed that. folders show seperate now

wainuitech
14-05-2010, 03:29 PM
:thumbs: :clap

KarameaDave
14-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Glad it's sorted! :)

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 03:35 PM
im gonna put my 40gb in our external enclosure once antivirus is on and put my files back on.

goodiesguy
14-05-2010, 04:54 PM
bye windoze vista