PDA

View Full Version : OSX - only have root account and unable to create any normal accounts

Morgenmuffel
13-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Ok I purchased an eMac computer a while ago now, but the seller didn't know the password (and no its not dodgy, it was a school clearance) anyway no worries i thought I'll go into single usermode and reset the root password which i did.

However as the computer needed a pram battery i left it alone for a month or three, now i have come back to it, and i can login via root, but i can't create any user or admin accounts,

when i go to the accounts page it is blank as in there is nothing on it

i also can't access the net via Safari (or software update), even though the clock synched up fine and the network diagnostics say the connections fine,

Any help would be appreciated as i am stumped

OSX 10.4.8 if it helps

berryb
13-05-2010, 11:48 PM
In accounts have you clicked the + symbol down the bottom to add a user?

In Networking go to advanced (going by memory here) and check there is nothing set under Proxy.

Morgenmuffel
14-05-2010, 11:52 AM
The accounts popup is blank there is nothing on it
apart from the popup title, a search bar ,and the close minimise and other icon

Basically the popup has the title accounts with a line underneath it and under that line there is nothing whatsoever, nada zip not a bean.

Having said that i managed to add an account whilst in root via the terminal window, however I set the account to be admin and when i logged into it, it was just a user level account

Morgenmuffel
14-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Ok I take that back, i just rebooted and my newly created user has full admin rights
excellent

now to figure out this Safari problem

nedkelly
14-05-2010, 12:14 PM
If you need any disks Morgenmuffel flick me a PM

Morgenmuffel
14-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Jeepers, a night spent at hospital with no sleep has worked wonders

A just added a new network location, let it do it thing and it all worked safari can now access the web