PDA

View Full Version : Remote Access - Assistance for Beginner

kenwnz
13-05-2010, 12:16 PM
I am running Win XP Professional on my home PC & Office 2003 Prof.

I recently bought a new laptop for a friend who is an 83 year old. The laptop is running Windows 7 Professional & Office 2007. Both of us are on Broadband. I am with Vodafone & the friend with Xtra.

The friend is struggling a bit with all the changes from her older desktop (which was running Win XP Home & Office XP) & I want to remotely access her laptop so I can assist her with the use of Word, her emails, Skype etc etc.

I have not used remote access before & would appreciate some assistance PLEASE. With which is the most efficient way to set it up with the different O/S in use as explained above and with common issues that usually arise. Thanks in advance for any help. Ken

wainuitech
13-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Welcome to PF1:)

Download and install team Viewer (http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx) on both machines. TeamViewer sorts out all the connections etc.

On your friends one, you can set it up so you can create your own password if you want.

With Teamviewer the person you are helping can see exactly what you are doing & you can see what they are doing.

With MS remote desktop - their screen goes blank when you are logged in.

Alex B
13-05-2010, 01:53 PM
logmein.com is quite good too.

SolMiester
13-05-2010, 01:58 PM
logmein.com is quite good too.

+1, i use this for my family and friends

kenwnz
13-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Welcome to PF1:)

Download and install team Viewer (http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx) on both machines. TeamViewer sorts out all the connections etc.

On your friends one, you can set it up so you can create your own password if you want.

With Teamviewer the person you are helping can see exactly what you are doing & you can see what they are doing.

With MS remote desktop - their screen goes blank when you are logged in.

Have downloaded Teamviewer & looked at their site. They say the other person doesn't download the same program but another one called "TeamViewerQS". Tried to call their NZ Support number, but telecom message says number no longer available/valid. I am planning to install prog on the "other" remote laptop tomorrow. What info do I need to have before I leave the other persons place & return to my home to try and connect to their laptop?. Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
13-05-2010, 05:20 PM
You need the ID and password from the person youre helping. Just install the same program you downloaded for them as well. Then install it

wainuitech
13-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Theres two versions, the full version which you ( the helper) has to have installed (so can the other person if they want) and the Quick Support for the people wanting help.

IF the person wanting help has the QS version, when it runs it will give a User ID and password, the password changes each time its run, that password needs to be given to the Helper (the ID doesn't change)

IF both people have the full version, you can setup your own password, so it never changes.

For your needs, it would be better to have the full versions on both PC and Laptop, and set up a password.

wainuitech
13-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Adding to above: if you want to setup a password - when team Viewer runs, click on the wording under the log in - a box will appear Example (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Access.jpg) type in a password you will remember. by default its four digits - to alter that, open Team Viewer / Extras/ Options/ Security - thats where you can change various items.

The ID will remain the same every time (you will see it when Teamviewer opens).

WarNox
13-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Download the Full Version of TeamViewer on both PCs, when your friend runs the program she can select 'Run' rather than install, this will allow you access to the computer. Once you're on you can install it.

kenwnz
13-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Download the Full Version of TeamViewer on both PCs, when your friend runs the program she can select 'Run' rather than install, this will allow you access to the computer. Once you're on you can install it.

OK, thanks for that, you sound like you are an experienced user. I am based in Auckland too. Would it be possible to talk to you sometime tomorrow to get some help. I (think) I have enabled direct contact by email via this site. If so any chance you could email me your name and landline number. Really appreciate your assistance. Thanks:clap

wainuitech
13-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Several people here that help use team viewer - just did a connection tonight with another member to fix an update issue :)

gary67
14-05-2010, 06:45 AM
+1 for teamviewer I have been using it to help my folks out in the UK