PDA

View Full Version : Opening a NEC LaVaie Light Netbook

jrp
13-05-2010, 12:54 AM
Hi all.
I've got an NEC LaVaie Light Netbook which I'm wanting to put some extra RAM into - but I'm having trouble opening the case. I've upgraded a number of PCs and Laptops, but I've never come across one like this before - and google doesn't seem to help much.

After getting all the screws out I can open the front of the case a little bit but it just gets doesn't budge around the back of the netbook, and I don't want to start forcing it.

Is there anyone out there who has opened one of these and can shed some light on it.

Thanks in advance.

GR8Metal
13-05-2010, 04:34 PM
I've upgraded the RAM in my HP NetBook and to remove the base cover (or service cover), I had to remove the battery and press on some release latches. Remove the battery and check for something similar on your NEC....

jrp
13-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the reply GR8Metal. There's no screws or clips behind the battery that I can see (plus I take the battery out when opening laptops/netbooks).

I wondered if there are screw behind the rubber bits to stop it slipping - but they are all near an existing screw so I don't think that will be the case. I don't want to take them out in case they don't go back in).

Any more ideas are very welcome.

GR8Metal
14-05-2010, 10:02 AM
You'll have to source the service manual from NEC. I found the service manual for my HP NetBook easy on HP's website....

SolMiester
14-05-2010, 10:14 AM
You shouldnt have to open the laptop at all to install RAM, most lappys have removable panels on the underside for Hard drive and RAM access. If your doesnt, check for the keyboard screws, then open laptop normally and open keyboard, the RAM maybe under that.
However as suggested already, the 1st action if you are unfamiliar with the product is to get the manual!

inphinity
14-05-2010, 11:20 AM
I think these models, some anyway, have the RAM under the keyboard.

iirc theres only one RAM slot in the LaVie series so make sure the SO-DIMM you're putting in is the amount of RAM you want in it.

jrp
14-05-2010, 08:20 PM
I was wondering if going under the keyboard was going to be the case (no pun intended).

I've never done a computer that does this. Does the whole keyboard clip out as one unit (it looks like this will be the case), or is it usually by removing a key to access a screw?

jrp
17-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Hi all - thanks for the replies so far.

Just a quick update for anyone who might be looking to do the same with their LaVie Light, plus I'm still hoping to find out more from someone in the know.

Anyway, I got the keyboard off alright - basically I took off all the screws at the back, then the keyboard clipped out alright. First time I've ever had to get into a computer that way.

But once the keyboard was off it was still not obvious where the RAM slot is - I can see the hard drive, and see the cpu - but no RAM slot. I suspect it is under the hard drive, but I'm not sure. It also might be that the the whole panel under the keyboard has to come off.

But to do either would mean that I would need to remove the keyboard fully, and I am unsure whether the keyboard connector/tape can be unclipped from the mother board safely - so I went no further. Or it might be that the whole panel unclips and the RAM slot will reveal itself.

I like having a go at things and learning how they work, but I'd be a bit annoyed with myself if I broke it. I really need to see some pics or have a description of where to go from here - so if anyone knows, please enlighten me :-)

Speedy Gonzales
17-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Is it the BL100, 300, 310, or 350

jrp
17-05-2010, 05:28 PM
It's the BL350/v

Speedy Gonzales
17-05-2010, 05:57 PM
I would get in touch with NEC. A few sites say its hard to add the memory, BUT none of them say where to install it, or HOW

jrp
17-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Thanks for that Speedy. That's the problem alright - lack of info. I would have thought there would have been a few people who had done it since this model comes standard with 1GB RAM - or maybe people who upgrade computers themselves haven't brought NEC :-)

I'll give the NEC support people a try. Will report back if/when I get an answer.

Agent_24
18-05-2010, 01:49 AM
The keyboard is connected by what is called an FFC (Flexible flat cable)

Normally these plug into a small socket which holds the cable in place by compression.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n81/tgreenwood_2006/zif_insertion.gif
shows how to insert the cable, removal is the opposite.

Most use a ZIF socket (zero insertion force) There will be a clip you pull out, or flip up, or pull out and flip up to remove the cable.

There is also LIF (low insertion force) which has no flippy-clip part and you just pull on the cable to take it out (and just push to put it back in - while being careful not to slip and mangle the cable)