PDA

View Full Version : Backup Issues

DeSade
12-05-2010, 09:59 PM
I have allocated a 300gb drive partition for backups but the system tells me there is not enough space to complete the backup.

I have ticked, include a system image of drives (all hdds). Now is a image the same size as the data on the drive or a lot smaller?

I can't figure out why this backup needs so much space.

Can anyone shed some light or advise what to check. Its the standard Win7 backup system.

Sweep
12-05-2010, 10:02 PM
An image is the same size as the source.

DeSade
12-05-2010, 10:04 PM
Ahh then that explains it 5.8TB won't go into 300Gb

Sweep
12-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Agreed. I don't believe any backup would compress the files enough but without knowing the actual used space I can't say.

wainuitech
12-05-2010, 10:27 PM
If you are using w7 Backup image then it only backs up the amount of space used, not the complete HDD size. My drive has 34GB used ( 250GB Drive) the backup when it goes to a server is 33GB.

I have ticked, include a system image of drives (all hdds) Select the other option - let widows chose what to backup, it should take the system files with it.

if there is any data in the second partition, the same place as the backups going you have to do that separately, you cant back up to the same drive/partition.

DeSade
13-05-2010, 01:30 AM
Well the media and game drives are about 1.7TB between them and I can't deselect the drives from the image list so that will be the issue. Its no biggie the backup is covering the important stuff, image isn't really needed.

I created this drive solely for backups so there is nothing else on it. Now that I see whats backing up I might drop 200gb off the backup drive since it will not be used there.