PDA

View Full Version : XP PC hard drive crash

Ross L
12-05-2010, 07:27 PM
OK, so my PC running XP has a hard drive thats on its last legs.
Mechanical issue -
When I turn the machine on, you can hear a clonk as the HDD tries to fire up. Then a message "disk read error ..bla bla bla"

So I put in the Windows XP disk and it boots up off that to Windows. I press R to recover and have run scan disk etc - it did some repairs and says all good.

Problem is when I exit and re-boot - clonk

So I can get to the C:\ prompt via the XP boot disk no problem and view the contents of that drive (dir/p)

My question....
Can I actually fire up XP from this point

In "the olden days" (DOS) I would type in the name of a file (eg.win.exe) to fire it up.

Is there a single file name to type in at the C:\ prompt or C:\Windows prompt that will get XP up so I can recover some of the files before I remove
the useless HDD

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Connect it to a working system (jumper it if its IDE), then get whatever off it

Ross L
12-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Your response, though very quick, doesn't help or answer the question asked.

If I'm looking at the C: prompt on the screen the HDD is being read... is there a way to fire up XP from the DOS prompt?

Agent_24
12-05-2010, 08:07 PM
No, you can only do this with Windows 3.11 and Windows 9x

XP must load through its own NTLoader etc. Recovery console is just that, a recovery console.

If your hard drive is faulty you should stop using it until you are ready to recover your files. Do NOT run CHKDSK, if there are problems with the drive the extra work may finish it off or it may destroy all your data.

You will need to do either what Speedy said, and connect it to a working system OR you could boot a Linux CD etc and use that to access the drive.

Alex B
12-05-2010, 08:10 PM
If your hard drive is faulty you should stop using it until you are ready to recover your files. Do NOT run CHKDSK, if there are problems with the drive the extra work may finish it off or it may destroy all your data.

Correct, any work you do to 'repair' the drive, is just going to kill it more. Get the data off, or just get a new drive and use your backup.