PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft updfates for ESET failure

effie c
12-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Hi,

I cannot get the two updates sic., Microsoft Office Outlook KB 981720 and Security update KB 976321 to install. I have followed many different offers of how to from Microsoft and over 24 hours---with no success
My ESET Icon is turned yellow - as a warning security is needing attention
Any advice please
effie c

GameJunkie
12-05-2010, 03:09 PM
double click on the icon, then click on the words 'click here', then click run system update.

it should turn green after this, had to do this on my laptop and pc

inphinity
12-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Are you sure the first update, KB981720, is the right number?

What happens when you try to install them?

effie c
12-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Hi all,

Yes the file numbers are correct and I have tried evry conceivable way to finish--all come back with error code 646

effie c

inphinity
12-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Try downloading the updates manually, and turning UAC off before installing.

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Are any office programs open, when you go to update?? If they are, close them

effie c
12-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Hi,

I don't use Outlook - I use windows Live

effie c

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2010, 03:26 PM
But are any office programs open (or were any opened) when you went to install those updates. This may or may not work (http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/a0428bfd-820b-4dea-9bdb-70103dace426)

effie c
12-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Hi,

nope - I have just this minute closed anything that was running - except this F1
by the way the first file should read KB981721

effie c

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Is SP1, or 2 for Office installed?? It has to be for KB 976321 to work. Are you using Windows 7?? Because KB 981721 is for Windows 7

effie c
12-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Hi,

I have not specifically installed SP 1 or 2 - I took everything from Office 2007 v Enterprise-- a huge version-O K if I go look for Sp1 / 2
where do I find that- in Microsoft?
effie c

effie c
12-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Hi,

I have not specifically installed SP 1 or 2 - I took everything from Office 2007 v Enterprise-- a huge version-O K if I go look for Sp1 / 2
where do I find that- in Microsoft?

SP 1 / 2 all pertain to XP

effie c

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Here, its 297mb (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B444BF18-79EA-46C6-8A81-9DB49B4AB6E5&displaylang=en). The SP1 or 2 I'm talking about is for Office 07, not XP

effie c
12-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Hi Speedy,
sorrrreeee !!! failed again- even with that update you itemised-- for that thank you anyway:D

Now what?
I have tried manually - auto update, etc --- installed your file, run twice more-- every time "failed 2 important updates"- searched in Microsoft helps - zilch--and even their help is of no help.

I see the icon Eset is now at a normal colour but every now and again it goes yellow, so must need something

effie c

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2010, 04:56 PM
If its the firewall disable it. It maybe blocking something. Read its help file see what the yellow / whatever colour means

inphinity
12-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Disabling UAC didn't help?

wainuitech
12-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Did you try what I replied to in your Email ?

effie c
12-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Hi Wainui T,
Yes and no--- I went to delete the updates as you advised- --" go to software distribution- and could not find the files to delete
I know my brain is old but this intrigues me- usually thanks to you guys I seldom get in this jam
The icon turning yellow ( or whatever colour ) pulsates as needing attention
Normally I get the required update manually frrom Microsoft and after install the colour reverts to normal-- which at this moment showing"normal"
Could the update be less than crucial- as this colour has swapped around during this F1 and e mail contact
effie c

effie c
12-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Hi,

SP2 is installed- the updates still will not install ( I have nearly a full page of failed installed updates
The ESET icon is remaining at white ( normal) even without the "essential /critcal updates-- perhaps I shopuld throw a tantrum ?
Not really everything else is going like a dream:clap
Thank you all- I shall return- as Macarthur said:banana

effie c

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Get teamviewer and I can check it out, if you want. Send the ID and PW to me in a PM

wainuitech
12-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Sometimes updates get stuck, esp if by the auto update method that Windows has.

The reason I suggested deleting the softwaredistribution folder (not the internal folders alone, the complete software distribution folder) under windows, is it deletes off all uninstalled/ Damaged or corrupted updates/ files etc. Only takes one damaged update to stop the rest.

When you run windows updates again its recreated from fresh - any downloaded updates that were damaged are replaced with new ones. The only down side is any updates that are currently installed cant be uninstalled.

effie c
13-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Hi wainui T,

It looks like I must follow exactly that which you advocate

BUT where do I find "software distribution folder,under windows " which by your inferance is outside my computer

Last night the icon went back to normal and on shutdown there were 3 updates to install ( there had been 2 in there the night before ) --I mistakenly thought that at last I had won--not so

Sorry to be dense but that yellow/orange is back

effie c

wainuitech
13-05-2010, 12:40 PM
:p Only thing outside my Windows is weeds in the garden ( if you call it that).

C: Drive \ Windows\softwaredistribution graphical Location (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Location.jpg)

Thats the folder to delete -- softwaredistribution IF it wont delete, you may have to start the PC in safe mode to do it.

Not saying this will guarantee to fix it, but if there are corrupted or stuck updates in the folder they wont fix them selves.

effie c
13-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Hi Wainut T,

Tried in safe mode- cannot locate grahical location folder or any variation on such
In normal mode I get to a hi-lited name with Graphics in it but no method of deleting it
am I missing the obvious?
How would I go if I uninstalled ESET and re installed from fresh
if this is practical you might have to e mail me the key as this has only just been renewed and you may have no key

effie c

wainuitech
13-05-2010, 03:37 PM
The problem is not with Eset - its only doing what its meant to do - advising your windows updates are out of date. If you were to uninstall then reinstall Eset it would once again do the exact same thing.

It windows updates that needs fixing Not Eset.

If you go C:\Windows folder, can you actually see the softwaredistribution folder ? IF you can see the softwaredistribution folder, you need to start the PC in safe Mode go to the folder,simply right click/Delete.

May have to try with Team Viewer (I can look at it remotely) if you want - or no success.

effie c
13-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Hi Wainui T;

Did exactly as you advuised-- even found the safe mode/software distribution center/deleted it (again) / started again in normal/ran update /3 failed updates as usual

O K I will try Teamviewer-- I assume I address it to your e mail address?
do I need to do anything to do that ---
AND send me the bill- I have imposed on you too much now

effie c

wainuitech
13-05-2010, 05:33 PM
Bugger off -- NO BILL :lol:

Download team viewer -- From here (http://www.teamviewer.com/download/index.aspx) - easiest one I find is the Quick Support This one (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Team_Viewer.jpg) - download it to your desktop - then reboot the PC in safemode with networking,Run team Viewer - when it opens there will be two numbers the ID and password - Ill Need both of those -- Open Live Messenger ( I assume it runs in safe move, never tried) - I have you listed,lets say around 7.30 tonight (If thats not OK email me a time you can be here) - then you can give me the codes through that.

effie c
13-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Hi W T,
private e mail to you, am now awaiting 7.30
and thanks again
effie c

paulw
13-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Go to Setup > Tools > Updates > and set System Updates to No Updates. This way Nod32 will not alert you to Windows updates only it's own..

effie c
13-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Hi Wainui Tech

Eureka !!! the man has done what I couldn't- whether I be dumb, stupid, or anything like that- I could not have done that which amounts to a cure of this persistant error, and for which no charge was made, even though I tried :)

Using TeamViewer has taught me heaps, and to watch someone else using my screen and computer- is fascinating :clap

Thank you

effie c

inphinity
14-05-2010, 09:13 AM
What was the resolution?

effie c
14-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Hi all

WOE is me !!!:groan:

The yellow colour is back again--and I was so thrilled with Wainui Tech as per above acknowlwdgement

What the hell can it be--I know I had done most of what WT did- I assumed mine failed- his did not !!----the icon last night was green ( normal) when we said our goodbyes.

The ESET page says my "operating System is not up to date"

I have just renewed my sub with ESET and unusually the sub was validated direct from the site--other times Wainui T has sent me the password to validate--- I wonder if this is a cause?

I still think last night's effort on my computer when used by Wainui T was a remarkable effort in itself

Now what?

What think you Wainui T?--remember I had had other comments, outside F1 criticising v 4.2 ?

effie c

inphinity
14-05-2010, 11:00 AM
The message in ESET means there are Windows Updates available for your PC but not installed. It is not any error with whatever ESET product you have.

effie c
14-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Hi Inphinity,

Not so-- I have twice searched this morning for any udates in Microsoft- " all up and accounted for- no more available

On the other hand the ESET has again turned yellow and when I open ESET ---- there is a message that "my systems are NOT up to date"

There is nothing from Microsoft ( and I get them anyway ) but it all hinges around ESET complaining "I have NOT updated"-- do so

Result in ever decreasing circles--NOTHING is available
---hence my query to Wainui Tech that as I have recently received an acknowledgement that my sub is renewed-- nothing gets me this Systems update--

just before I renewed my sub I had two or three comments that v 4.2 was creatingg problems installing--I had no problem BUT......

any more help anyone?

effie c

inphinity
14-05-2010, 12:18 PM
What does it say when you click the "Click here for detail" or whatever it is ESET puts at the end of the description?

GameJunkie
14-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Hi Inphinity,

there is a message that "my systems are NOT up to date"

have you tried what i first posted, clicking on it anyway.

mine went turned green again after i did this.

just a thought

effie c
14-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Hi Game Junkie,

You might just be right--I went to ESET website and listened to a voice going through such a problem-- >advanced> tools> update systems

Now this Icon HAS turned green- yet nothing came through that I know of-the irony is that last night Wainui Tech used a remote program "Team Viewer" and did at least get the 3 Office updates which caused anything following to fail.
---and DID get 3 updates that I consistantly had fail by doing one at a time manually- I had tried to do all at once with no success

Now I am hoping that this voice training I have mentioned- possibly has worked

Many thanks all---especially Wainui Tech ---only I now have three less white hairs ( pulled out in frustration :punk

effie c

sroby
14-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Its a known issue. We sell NOD & I see this a fair bit- on older PC's.
Turn off NODs notification for Win updates.
Dont panic over it. Just ignore

Also run the MS UPDATE : NOT the Win update. There is a big difference (go MS, make this more complex for home user...)
IE-windowsupdate-click on MS Update near the top
Make sure you untick WGA & OGA: windows\office genuine advantage

Office Sp's & XP SP1,2,3 can sometimes give all sorts of issues trying to install via MS/WIN UPDATE. Download these separately , ie via MS download site, then run them.

wainuitech
14-05-2010, 01:52 PM
occasionally Eset gets its knickers in a twist about update warnings.

One thing to try open ESS under the system update Make sure its set to Critical, or if you dont want to be bugged set to no Updates.Adjust here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Updates.jpg)

On the odd occasion you have to remove and reinstall ESS, but I find its very rare, only had to do that once in errrrrrrr cant even remember now :rolleyes:

Just checked on your Sub, and its fine till this time next year, and working, just tried logging in under it and no worries.

inphinity
What was the resolution? When I was using TeamViewer, I threatened effie's PC to remove Nod32 and install Norton Internet Security,:devil unless the updates went it-- It crapped its self and worked properly :lol:

Seriously -- effie Had already done the Software Distribution folder removal/replacement, so I tried doing a Normal update, didn't work.

Using Team Viewer, transferred a .bat file I had pre made to his PC, which re-registered the windows update .dll's, went to reboot and noticed there was two updates needing to be installed on shutdown - so remotely shut down the PC, effie restarted the PC, Then I manually downloaded each update, and put them in one at a time, rebooted -- ran windows update again- all clear.

PS; We were on the Phone, I called him, I understand he plays a mean game of Chess :clap

smithie 38
14-05-2010, 02:24 PM
I understand he plays a mean game of Chess

Did he really tell you that?? :)

Sweep
14-05-2010, 02:26 PM
He does play a mean game of Chess. I'm no slug but he beat me when I went to his place.

effie c
14-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Hi all

Now youse guys are embarressing me but mean game of chess?:groan:

yeah right--once, I wuz a lot better- once, but a stroke spoiled a lot of that:D

I, in reality am an easy beat, eh Sweep ?:illogical

Thanks guys again - Wainui T and Sroby, Sweep,Smithie38,et al,

I can laugh now but as I say I have pulled out the odd (sparce ) white hair some of which I cannot spare
:thanks
effie c